The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
381 - 400 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Our started leaking this week. I've always tried to be careful with it and I'm the only one that has changed the oil. The most recent service was an alignment. They did a quick inspection of sorts, but no mention of the oil filter, so I don't think they touched it.

135 or so thousand miles.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
256 Posts
I’d like to tell you my 2014, 175k miles, 3.6 hasn’t had any oil leaks yet but I’d rather not tempt karma, Murphy, and any of those other ethereal beings who ensure we don’t get too full of ourselves. 😁

Seriously, no oil leaks yet on mine with 175k miles.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I’d like to tell you my 2014, 175k miles, 3.6 hasn’t had any oil leaks yet but I’d rather not tempt karma, Murphy, and any of those other ethereal beings who ensure we don’t get too full of ourselves. 😁

Seriously, no oil leaks yet on mine with 175k miles.
Remember, it's not that you have a 2014, only if it was built prior to 1/22/14?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I replaced the cooler today. The oil was a couple inches deep in some places. The valley runs deep in there. I looked the old one over and couldn't find any obvious failure. Maybe an o-ring is to blame? I couldn't see any cracks. The new one has an o-ring on what I think is the main return passage, where the old one has what appears to be a more rigid seal with a rectangular section. Maybe it's just that the original o-ring had hardened, flattened and shrunk. There pics just show a kind of before and after of the valley. My handy pump crapped out after just several squirts, so I had to soak the rest up with paper towels.

I neglected to get a pic of the o-ring difference. Maybe I can at least take one of the original tomorrow.

Reactions: GCTruckster

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mine leaked between the aluminum cooler and the plastic adapter apparently the seals failed.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Mine seemed dry by the cooler part.

Reactions: GCTruckster

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country where I just got off the phone with our mechanic. He pretty much mentioned everything from this thread on what was going on with it and that the parts were around $200-$300 with another 4 hours labor. It has sounded rough with clicking, but the oil leaking has been for maybe a week. I just turned over 140,000 miles on it. Anyone have news of a recall?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
No recall, even if there was, 7 years old and 140,000 miles would not be covered. Rough with clicking?? how long did you drive it without oil? Have the spark plugs ever been changed? Good time to do so with minimal additional labor time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No recall, even if there was, 7 years old and 140,000 miles would not be covered. Rough with clicking?? how long did you drive it without oil? Have the spark plugs ever been changed? Good time to do so with minimal additional labor time.
Mileage shouldn't matter on a recall...only a matter if the vehicle is older than 10 years maybe, which it's not. Always kept oil in it when I noticed the leaking...never drove it when it was low. The clicking is when it idles. Plugs and tune up were done at the 110,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Mileage shouldn't matter on a recall...only a matter if the vehicle is older than 10 years maybe, which it's not. Always kept oil in it when I noticed the leaking...never drove it when it was low. The clicking is when it idles. Plugs and tune up were done at the 110,000 mile mark.
Clicking noise could be worn rockers starting to score camshaft lobes

Reactions: Jman19

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 T&C that started leaking oil last week. I took it in and the mechanic informed me it is the oil filter adapter and the total cost will be about $600. The problem he says is the part is failing so much they are on backorder and may be a month or more before he can get it fixed! If this is a known problem that Chrysler is refusing to stand up and take care of, this could be the last Chrysler product for me. And I've had plenty over the years, including about 9 minivans!

·
Registered
555 Posts
The Chrysler oil filter issue reminds me of the GM 3.1/3.4 LIM gaskets. They just kept turning them out even though they were poorly designed and failing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 2014 GC has been leaking and i just saw it last week with a puddle on the ground.. it only has ~60K miles. I will be replacing it this weekend.. My 2016 Charger I found is also leaking but a different spot and my Aftermarket warranty will cover its replacement.. My Charger has not been leaking as much, as it is not hitting the ground in that car, yet

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,521 Posts
I wonder how many of these people with damaged 2014+ oil coolers do their own oil changes. I'm thinking zero. Lube shops love to over-tighten the cap, which is the #1 cause of failures.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I do my own. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe these guns are just too big. 💪

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do my own.. I try not to over tighten either.. My guess is looking at the weep pattern, my van is leaking elsewhere, not directly from the filter can.. The charger is leaking at the filter can

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here. 2014 Town and Country. 110,000km. Confirmed cracked filter housing. Jiffy Lube claims it's a Chrysler issue. All recent oil changes were done at a Jiffy Lube in Surrey, BC. I watched the manager use a standard (non-torque) wrench to put the oil filter back on when he demonstrated where the issue was. He claimed that was the only way to ensure the filter did not leak as the torque specs were not high enough to ensure a proper seal.

He also claimed it's not their fault for the cracked filter housing and that Chrysler made shoddy parts.

He claimed to pass my request for repairs to management and later said they denied it. I have no proof he did this but I have also heard nothing back from the head office whom I contacted via their web page.

After the rear AC issues I have had and this filter housing it's safe to say I will never buy Chrysler again.

As "friendly" as the manager tried to be Jiffy Lube will likely not be seeing my business either.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I wonder how many of these people with damaged 2014+ oil coolers do their own oil changes. I'm thinking zero. Lube shops love to over-tighten the cap, which is the #1 cause of failures.
That's why I do my own changes, but there were reports, especially in Jeeps, of crack/leaks before 1st oil change was even done.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Same issue here. 2014 Town and Country. 110,000km. Confirmed cracked filter housing. Jiffy Lube claims it's a Chrysler issue. All recent oil changes were done at a Jiffy Lube in Surrey, BC. I watched the manager use a standard (non-torque) wrench to put the oil filter back on when he demonstrated where the issue was. He claimed that was the only way to ensure the filter did not leak as the torque specs were not high enough to ensure a proper seal.

He also claimed it's not their fault for the cracked filter housing and that Chrysler made shoddy parts.

He claimed to pass my request for repairs to management and later said they denied it. I have no proof he did this but I have also heard nothing back from the head office whom I contacted via their web page.

After the rear AC issues I have had and this filter housing it's safe to say I will never buy Chrysler again.

As "friendly" as the manager tried to be Jiffy Lube will likely not be seeing my business either.
So Jiffy Lube admitted that he felt the torque specs were not sufficient? SMH. Yes Jiffy Lube broke it, but the POS plastic crap was "shoddy" to begin with.

Reactions: Sienile
381 - 400 of 438 Posts