The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
401 - 420 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,521 Posts
That's why I do my own changes, but there were reports, especially in Jeeps, of crack/leaks before 1st oil change was even done.
I've seen some of the rocks those Wranglers try to climb. The jarring forces of rock climbing can really stress the top heavy filter adapter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Grand Caravan R/T with 101,000 miles has oil leaking on manifold and presents a fire hazard. Dodge dealer indicates oil filter adapter needs replacement but is on backorder for 720 units. Fault appears to be known and part is being re-designed, but the re-design has not been released yet. This is a common problem across the entire Dodge line that uses the 3.6L V6. After-market units are also not available. This should warrant a recall!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same issue here. 2014 Town and Country. 110,000km. Confirmed cracked filter housing. Jiffy Lube claims it's a Chrysler issue. All recent oil changes were done at a Jiffy Lube in Surrey, BC. I watched the manager use a standard (non-torque) wrench to put the oil filter back on when he demonstrated where the issue was. He claimed that was the only way to ensure the filter did not leak as the torque specs were not high enough to ensure a proper seal.

He also claimed it's not their fault for the cracked filter housing and that Chrysler made shoddy parts.

He claimed to pass my request for repairs to management and later said they denied it. I have no proof he did this but I have also heard nothing back from the head office whom I contacted via their web page.

After the rear AC issues I have had and this filter housing it's safe to say I will never buy Chrysler again.

As "friendly" as the manager tried to be Jiffy Lube will likely not be seeing my business either.

The CAP has an o-ring on the neck of the cap. Pressure or torque is not needed, as the o-ring must slide down into the bore or I.D. of the neck. Overtightening is causing them to crack.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,521 Posts
A ratcheting cap would have been a nice touch. A downside being if the loosening mechanism slips. Ever had a gas cap that refused to come off? They're a real pain. One time I broke the head off one to get to the actual threaded portion. Another time I got smart and put 2 screws through it to link the head with the threads.

What would be even worse is if the ratchet slips while going back on. Tech thinks it's tight and a mile later, you're out of oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well,
I changed my oil filter housing/cooler today. Not a very difficult job as long as you're comfy turning a wrench.
Took about three hours, but I also changed the spark plugs and had to get a replacement sensor.

Some points if you plan to do the job yourself.
I ordered the replacement cooler, seals and sparkers from Rock Auto. These are available on Amazon, EBay - a lot of places.
There are several excellent videos on YouTube that show the process.

1 - if you can get the housing complete with sensors, do it. Or remove the oem sensors while the unit is still attached to the motor. I lost some time when I broke the oil pressure sensor trying to remove it.
2 - certainly get replacement seals for the intake manifold - I got these from Rock, FelPro brand - one upper seal was missing (multiple curses) so I used the best one of the originals
3 - Consider replacing the PCV while you have everything apart. It's easy to get to with everything out of the way.
4- I disconnected the fuel line from the injector rail and left the rail attached. Some videos show leaving the fuel line attached but removing the rail from the manifold. be ready for a spray of gas. the rail is pressurized.
5 - I did not drain the oil or coolant before changing the part --- I did change the oil after the job.
6 - I did torque all the attachment bolts to the requisite value - 71 inch pounds

An easy job considering

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Town and Country that was leaking oil all over. It was mixing with coolant and we thought it was the transmission leaking.
I took it to the local dealership, however, they can't get the oil filter adapter housing and there's no ETA when it will be back in stock!
The needed part is 68105583af. I've searched a few auto parts websites myself, but they are all out of stock.
This repair alone will cost $880 plus tax. They want me to pay $135 for the diagnostic, but will only add that to the servicing price if done within 30 days (there's no ETA on when this part will be available).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have you had the oil changed lately?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,521 Posts
The needed part is 68105583af. I've searched a few auto parts websites myself, but they are all out of stock.
This repair alone will cost $880 plus tax. They want me to pay $135 for the diagnostic, but will only add that to the servicing price if done within 30 days (there's no ETA on when this part will be available).
Not the exact part number, but it's an identical part. It may have a different sensor in the lower position that needs to be swapped for the one on yours.

If the dealer can't supply the part, they should allow the diagnostics to be taken off the repair cost at a later date when they get the part and then start the 30 day window.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was just wondering ... if you had the oil changed recently I would tend to blame the person who did it for overtightening the filter housing cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ours (2014 TC) is also leaking oil from the oil filter housing. I tried buying on but they are all out of stock. Dealer says there are 50,000 in back order so good luck getting one.
I did submit a complaint with the NHTSA. I suggest everyone here do that as well. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just wondering ... if you had the oil changed recently I would tend to blame the person who did it for overtightening the filter housing cover.

This is a defect... it is down-right silly that such a critical part is all plastic sitting right in the middle of the engine. Typical MOPAR junk.

I have cars that are 20+ years and no issues other than parts that wear. An oil filter housing shouldn't fail in such frequency... there are 50k units back ordered; so that many of those engines are leaking due to a crappy design.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
This is a defect... it is down-right silly that such a critical part is all plastic sitting right in the middle of the engine. Typical MOPAR junk.

I have cars that are 20+ years and no issues other than parts that wear. An oil filter housing shouldn't fail in such frequency... there are 50k units back ordered; so that many of those engines are leaking due to a crappy design.
I change oil and filter on a monthly basis, no problem whatsoever with that or any other engine part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I have a 2014 Dodge Grand caravan with the 3.6 and mine is leaking from the same spot this is an obvious major problem that Dodge needs to fixjust realized today this was my problem by researching and now finding out that this is a common problem from everybody in it $200 part plus all the labor it's going to take me to rip everything apart just to get to it very poor design

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would not say that it is a bad design. A bad design will fail in normal, as designed, operation, which is not the case here. Those that do their own oil changes and not over tighten the filter housing, don't have this issue. I'm in this group.
However, this design is certainly not robust enough to handle abuse and over tightening by inexperienced people or techs. There are many oil drain plugs that get stripped every day by inexperienced techs, yet all manufacturers use this design. So just because something fails due to improper tech practices, doesn't mean it is a bad design IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would not say that it is a bad design. A bad design will fail in normal, as designed, operation, which is not the case here. Those that do their own oil changes and not over tighten the filter housing, don't have this issue. I'm in this group.
However, this design is certainly not robust enough to handle abuse and over tightening by inexperienced people or techs. There are many oil drain plugs that get stripped every day by inexperienced techs, yet all manufacturers use this design. So just because something fails due to improper tech practices, doesn't mean it is a bad design IMO.
Mine failed ran
I would agree with that if I would have had an oil change or oil filter changed recently which I have not it just randomly started leaking

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
Mine failed ran

I would agree with that if I would have had an oil change or oil filter changed recently which I have not it just randomly started leaking
I change engine oil almost every month, no problem whatsoever on any of my vehicles.

Over-torquing is the most likely cause of failure. Leaks usually start some time after the last filter change, not immediately after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I change engine oil almost every month, no problem whatsoever on any of my vehicles.

Over-torquing is the most likely cause of failure. Leaks usually start some time after the last filter change, not immediately after.
just started leaking approximately a month ago and my last oil change was well over a year ago so don't think it has anything to do with over tightening there's no way a year later it would start leaking from over tightening

·
Registered
519 Posts
just started leaking approximately a month ago and my last oil change was well over a year ago so don't think it has anything to do with over tightening there's no way a year later it would start leaking from over tightening
Why not? It is a plastic piece after all. It could have cracked a little and with heat cycles and vibrations the crack progressed to the point that it started leaking.
it’s not just plastic, metal behaves the same way. The flex plate is a perfect example. Once the crack starts it slowly progresses until it starts making noise. It doesn’t fail immediately.

401 - 420 of 438 Posts