The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
421 - 440 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L
57 Posts
what do you mean "it just started leaking"? you just noticed it leaking?

the oil cooler sits on top of a "galley", a large space on top the block that can hold a lot of fluid. you can stick a screw driver or a dowel or something into the galley and be shocked how deep it goes. point being, it may have been leaking the whole time and only now show you symptoms by finally overflowing and spilling down on the transmission side.

just started leaking approximately a month ago and my last oil change was well over a year ago so don't think it has anything to do with over tightening there's no way a year later it would start leaking from over tightening

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
When installing the oil filter cap, make sure you add a nice coat of (new) oil to the threads and to the o-ring, otherwise you are already over-torquing the cap as soon as you start threading the cap. Once the cap seats, stop, no need to aply any extra torque force.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally the part came in "Oil Filter Housing" from Mopar Genuine Parts. My 2014 GC is leaking all over the place so now to have it installed. Any SF Bay Area people that can recommend where to take the van for the housing replacement...not the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,633 Posts
It's an all metal aftermarket one. You swap your cap, sensors, and cooler block over to it and all the cracked housing issues should be a thing of the past. They said it should be available at the major parts stores mid-July.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 TC with 114,612 miles. Oil was changed about 3 months ago. Started leaking oil last week. Dealer replaced the oil filter adapter. I don't have the paperwork in front of me so I can't tell what part number was used.
I have a 2014 Chrysler TC, only has 14,307 miles on it. Took it in for it's 3rd oil change ever and oil was slowly leaking at the oil filter housing. The local dealer had to order the part so I went back 2 days later. The dealer had to replace the oil filter assembly unit(and another oil change). The Kocourek Chrysler dealer charged me $807 dollars plus the other oil change 2 days prior at $40 dollars. This is Highway robbery! This is how the car dealers make their money. They charge you and arm and a leg for the part and say it takes 4 hours of labor. I will not be going back to the Kocouek Chrysler Dealer in Stevens Point, Wisconsin anymore. My next vehicle will not be a Chrysler but will be a Toyota or a Honda vehicle.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Your, vehicle was built close to 8 years ago, regardless of the incredibly low miles you have. $847 is unacceptable for a part that Chrysler knows was no good to start with. Curious, did the same dealer do the previous 2 oil changes?, if so, they're the ones who broke it. Sad part is they don't care where you buy your next vehicle.

Reactions: 2015TCDriver2

·
Registered
33 Posts
a good argument for using one place for oil changes-i had mine done a few weeks ago and when they were bringing it to me another mechanic came up and said to pull it back in as it left a trail of oil. turms out that the lube guy overtightened it and cracked the housing. they replaced it while i waited at no charge to me!! it was a chry dealer who did it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your, vehicle was built close to 8 years ago, regardless of the incredibly low miles you have. $847 is unacceptable for a part that Chrysler knows was no good to start with. Curious, did the same dealer do the previous 2 oil changes?, if so, they're the ones who broke it. Sad part is they don't care where you buy your next vehicle.
The same authorized Chrysler dealer changed the oil from day one. The unit was designed and manufactured with poor quality specifications(plastic housing from China) and has been redesigned to not fail after many years of service. Was told this was an quality(age) issue, not an oil change issue with this component.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 2014 c/v oil housing cracked at 27,500 miles (in 2016), dumped quite a load of oil in the parking lot, I had to add oil to get it back home. Dealership replaced it without a problem, but now I see that it could recur again. Happened quite suddenly one day and I had it fixed a few days later. Looking back at my records, I had changed the oil 2 months prior, but I am aware of the overtightening issues, although it seems like the cap locks up tight no matter how "loose" I leave it. The position of the O-ring is important there though, since there are two possible positions for it. I have forgotten now which one it is but I simply put the new one where the old one was now.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The same authorized Chrysler dealer changed the oil from day one. The unit was designed and manufactured with poor quality specifications(plastic housing from China) and has been redesigned to not fail after many years of service. Was told this was an quality(age) issue, not an oil change issue with this component.
Your 2014 was built before Jan 2014, so you have a known bad oil cooler. Mine 2014 was built 10/2013, has had 7 - 8 oil changes, all done by myself. I strongly believe that mine would be leaking by now if oil changes were done "professionally"

·
Registered
1 Posts
For 2014, Chrysler made a change to a part called the "oil filter adapter" which sits on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. There are now a parade of people with various Chrysler vehicles that use the 3.6L reporting that the new part cracks, causing a major oil leak, potentially a fire, and can cause your engine to be drained of all oil.

If you have had an oil leak, and the dealership told you the issue was the oil filter adapter, the oil cooler or the oil cooler cover, post up here. We are going top try to get pressure on Chrysler to at least redesign the part.

Part number is 68105583AA and it applies only to 2014 3.6L Chrysler V6 engines, at least so far. Similar issues have been reported with the new 3.2L V6 used in the Cherokee, but it apparently has a different part number.
Dorman makes an all aluminum oil filter housing for the 2014 3.6 Pentastar, it's about $328.00.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,633 Posts
Reactions: Sunvanse

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,633 Posts
So, I’m curious. I have a 2011 DGC and this part “does not fit” according to many sites (including Dorman). Based on most YouTube university videos, I’m guessing it would fit but the oil filter would just be the newer design? Thoughts?
It will, you just have to get more parts. You need the cooler block, cap, and filter from the 2014+. I'd also grab spare sensors in case you can't get the old ones off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2012 Caravan with the 3.6 and the oil pressure sensor light came on. Bad sensor but it was right after I changed the oil to 5W20 on accident. I didnt think the change from 30 to 20 did it but it happened right as I started it up with the new oil. Changed the new oil back to 5W30, cleared the code and it came right back. replaced the sender (and the 4 base O-rings because the valley was full of soupy oil and water and stop leak crystals) and no change. WTH? Checked the new sensor and it was bad! I pulled an old sensor off a Comanche (easiest to grab at the junk yard) for $5 and installed it. Code cleared! I then found a broken knock sensor plug down there so I replaced that and now the housing is gushing water under pressure. took it out and I could tell the plastic base had warped and pulled away from the metal cooler stack. It was leaking from the 4 O-rings under the metal part of the cooler. Wrote the entire assembly off and bought a new one for under $60 on ebay including the 2 new sensors and an oil filter already installed on it. Well see.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,633 Posts
When that $60 one fails, upgrade.

421 - 440 of 458 Posts