The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
441 - 458 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
2011 Touring L 136k. Changed the oil with 5W30, I assume that was in it to begin with, the next day it leaked oil, it was sealed in my case, the temp dropped to below 0F overnight that night.
2013 Limited 135k. BOne dry and I have the seals on hand to do the job any second.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just noticed a leak that is coming from underneath the intake on my 2014 journey with the 3.6 engine. From the amount of oil it looks like it could be the filter adapter. It has just started and has been more than 3000 miles since oil change

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,289 Posts
Should have been made metal OEM instead of having to go aftermarket... as with all the other plastic cooling system bits.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,289 Posts
Having the sam issues 2017 ram replaced the housing and it still leaking replaced the gaskets and it’s still leaking I’m so stumped right now truck has 60000
Damaged valve covers can make it look like an oil cooler leak.

Reactions: 97K15004WD

·
Registered
1 Posts
If 3.6L minivan owners report the problem here, it is a way for people to know that this is a known issue with ALL 2014 3.6L Pentastar vehicles. I doubt most minivan owners would look at a Wrangler or Challenger site for this information.

Makes sense?
I have a 2014 Dodge grand Caravan. I take all of my vehicles to one local mechanic. When i found the stain under the car they charged me $60 to find the issue and told me it was the oil filter housing. They changed the oil less than a month before. They then wanted to charge me $1,200 to fix it.
I am looking for the part for a 2014 but am only able to find it at O'Reilly, auto zone, Advance . Rock Auto is out of stock. Does anyone know another reliable quality part company I can use?

thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,289 Posts
It's very hard to get right now. AutoZone has the best price around me. You are going for the upgraded metal one (Dorman 926-876) right?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a 2014 Dodge grand Caravan. I take all of my vehicles to one local mechanic. When i found the stain under the car they charged me $60 to find the issue and told me it was the oil filter housing. They changed the oil less than a month before. They then wanted to charge me $1,200 to fix it.
I am looking for the part for a 2014 but am only able to find it at O'Reilly, auto zone, Advance . Rock Auto is out of stock. Does anyone know another reliable quality part company I can use?

thank you for your help.
Check 2nd video of 1st post (Dorman 926 - 876)

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
309 Posts
... They then wanted to charge me $1,200 to fix it.....
Yikes!! Having done the job, it's not overly complicated - especially if someone has basic hand tools and can watch Motor City Mechanic's Youtube videos. A professional mechanic who charges $1200 to do that job would begin making me question their credibility and/or aptitude.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if the trick here to prevent these from failing is to do your own oil changes, and do it carefully? Eg. Lube up the o-ring first and never torque it too tight. In fact, I would argue to not torque it fully at all. It's the o-ring that does the sealing so it's entirely ok to screw it in almost, but not quite, all the way in. Most oil change techs crank stuff in all the way and it's very unlikely the guy doing your change knows to be gentle with this part.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,289 Posts
I never had issues with mine and did my own oil changes. Swapped it as preventative maintenance. I had one explode on me after taking the cap off one time. I had pulled the filter then raised the Jeep to drain the oil and heard what sounded like a pellet gun shooting the roof of the shop. It was the oil bypass valve, it was either a '12 or '13. Aside from that I saw plenty fail between 110-120k, often leaking near the bottom of the filter tower.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 GC 3.6L 140K - bought in 2016. Replaced what appeared to be the factory Cooler in December 20, 2020. Now, May 10 2022, having to replace it AGAIN for the oil filter housing being cracked. I have worked in the Plastics Industry since 1985, Consumer goods and Automotive Industry, and there is no plastic out there that will hold up like metal in the hot oil immersion environment these units are put thru on a daily basis. The heat in the Kitchen is getting too hot for the Dodge boys and that is the reason why there is now an Aluminum version. Aluminum unit did not exist in 2020 or I would have bought it. This is a factory design defect and Dodge / Chrysler should be held responsible and a recall should be issued to replace all of these units and everyone that has already replaced them should be reimbursed. New Housing here in FLA is $233 with tax. Plus oil and new filter. Find another Mechanic if you have a quote greater that $350 - $400 for this repair.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,289 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
100850 miles and after the latest oil change, the oil is leaking. the mechanic who did the oil change says it was the transmission fluid that was leaking. took it to another place and they said it was an oil leak because the filter housing was cracked. most likely due to over tightening of the filter or the crooked removal of the filter. Now trying to get the first guy to own up to the error.

441 - 458 of 458 Posts