The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
Looks like the wheel is leaning inward at the top. How was it hit? The other car hit it from the pictured angle?

Probably doesn't start because of wiring issues. Right below that light is the PCM, right behind it is the TIPM, both are part of the starting circuit.

I'd take a guess at $2-3k to repair it at a shop. But that's just what I can see. What all do you know is damaged?

Reactions: Michalb

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the high beams works still (the one that was damaged, ironically).

-low beams not working
-fog lights not working (one is missing, apparently was lost during the tow)
-anti-lock brake system reports malfunction
-steering wheel won't turn

-car does nothing when ignition key turned to "on". I checked the wiring to the lights and along the front and it's not in good shape. TIPM is intact.

The front axel appears to be bent.

I figure I can swap out the front bumper, light assembly, and left fender myself. It's the electrical that I'll have to have someone else do, and the axel.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
Thing is, with the damage to that light, it probably messed up the radiator support that the light bolts into. That's a bit of an involved process that requires the A/C system to be evacuated.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Van otherwise looks in good shape. No collision coverage?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Van otherwise looks in good shape. No collision coverage?
Nope.

The radiator support frame was indeed damaged, destroyed on the driver's side. Will have to be replaced.

Things that I think need to be done so far:
  • replace left front fender and front bumper ($400)
  • replace radiator support frame ($200)
  • replace left headlight assembly ($80)
  • replace left fog light ($30)
  • Wiring replacement to front left area ($400 ?)
  • Replacement of axel or front suspension ($1000)

I'm estimating $2500 so far, but it might be as much as $3000.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a pretty flimsy van. The exterior is thin metal which doesn't repel at all, and the interior frame appears to be plastic throughout most of the front end. Plastic! I would have expected something to protect the wires at least. Also considering the vehicle was spun 30% by the collision, should the air bags have deployed? Because they didn't.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
cars on the road today are not designed to protect themselves or survive a collision, they're designed to protect the occupants

bumping into something in the 1960s when your bumper is chrome isn't a big deal, but hitting something at 45mph is going to impale you with the airbagless steering column, the cabin is the crumple zone

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
cars on the road today are not designed to protect themselves or survive a collision, they're designed to protect the occupants

bumping into something in the 1960s when your bumper is chrome isn't a big deal, but hitting something at 45mph is going to impale you with the airbagless steering column, the cabin is the crumple zone
We both know this van nor any other vehicle not of similar weight would preserve the occupants in a head-on with a semi. The engine block would be displaced into the cabin creaming the occupants in the front seat at least. The other car was essentially stopped by the steel radiator. I'm pretty sure that "Batmobile" Corolla had reinforcement around the radiator, because it got by with remarkably little damage. No, I'm putting this on Chrysler. If there's an option for reinforcing the area around the headlights, I want it.

Edit: yeah looks like this is a design regression. The pre-2008 vans had much better reinforcement, lots more metal. I've got a theory the PCM has been destroyed... might not have been if it was protected.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The PCM and ECM connection to the wire harness was severed in the accident. I plan to buy new connectors but I need to know how to connect them properly to the harness. Would butt crimps do the job do you think?

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
No. For PCM connections I trust only solder. Butt connectors allow moisture to seep in and corrode the connection.

I would just strip the loom back and repair what's there unless the connector itself is damaged or the wires are broke too close to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts