The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use TORQUE (or any OBDC monitoring device)
I'm Needing to get an idea what others minivans are running TEMP wise.
I just replaced the water pump, radiator, cooling fan relay, thermostat, radiator cap.
Still seems to be running hot. Cooling system was pressure tested and Passed.
I'm wondering if the temp sensor may be defective.
This info may also help you at some point.
Please post the Month and State (because where you are makes a BIG difference)

Like this would be most helpful...

Month / Location / Outside Ambient Temp: August - South Florida - 93
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Caravan SE
Engine: 3.3L
Maximum: 224.6 (fans kicked on)
Minimum: 195.8 (after a couple miles of 40 mph non stop driving)
Est Avg moving: 206 (Just driving around town)
Max Idle Temp: 224.6 (fans will eventually kick on during extended idle)

The only way to know if this is about right or if there is still a problem is to see what others are getting. This could be helpful to you down the road if your vehicle starts to run hot

Search Tags are
Temp,Radiator,Water pump,relay

·
Vendor
565 Posts
2007 TC Temp.jpg

Here is the temperature chart for my Van on its trip home from the NC Outer Banks to Massachusetts on August 3 from 2:40 PM to 6PM. I suspect the location was I-95 South of Philly where the temp rose in the I-95 stalled traffic. Data is from a CarChip data logger that I have in all my cars.

Frank 2007 T&C SWB with about 55K miles

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 20178

Here is the temperature chart for my Van on its trip home from the NC Outer Banks to Massachusetts on August 3 from 2:40 PM to 6PM. I suspect the location was I-95 South of Philly where the temp rose in the I-95 stalled traffic. Data is from a CarChip data logger that I have in all my cars.

Frank 2007 T&C SWB with about 55K miles
Thanks. I would somewhat expect the temps to remain fairly consistently low while moving. Lots of cool air to flush the heat out. Likewise, the 226 is not unusual when you had to stop in traffic. 226.4 is where the cooling fans kick on in my 1999.

Sure would like to see another graph of your vehicle's temp driving around town on a hot day

·
Super Moderator
22,842 Posts
Some replacement radiators are missing baffles to provide proper circulation of coolant through the radiator, i.e. the coolant basically short circuits across the radiator from inlet to outlet . See the links below. You might want to scan the radiator with a temperature scanner.

How does the inlet temperature compare with the outlet temperature via hand scan?

Does operating the heater help cool the temperature down?

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/36913-96-2000-radiator-design-flawed

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/24929-Another-98-Grand-Voyager-Mystery-Overheating-Problem-(HELP!!!)

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/36274-Weird-overheating-issue

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Noone else uses any devices to see the actual temps your engines runs at?

Just for the fun of it I replaced......

The Temp Sensor (no change)
The Cooling Fan Relay (fixed issue of fans not coming on)
Radiator cap (no change)
Thermostat (3 times, no change)
Water pump (no change)
Radiator (no change)

Tests I ran......

Pressure test (passed)
Hydrocarbons in coolant test (passed)

So this one is one for the books. I suspect some sort of strange head gasket issue or head issue that is not allowing leaks or gas leaks.

Or....it's not overheating at all and temps of 224 sitting in traffic are common for these vehicles.

But head gasket / seal damage starts around 235 - 240 and so that seems dangerously close.
By factory standards the fans don't even come on until 221-224. On our other car, fans come on at 203 and temp never gets over 205 ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts