The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 01 T&C LXi with power rear hatch that does not open with a push of a button. Upon pressing button, it beeps 3 times, can hear latch being released, and the hatch does not open automatically. At this point I try to pull up and something is loosely still latched.

To open the hatch, I have push the hatch to securely close tight then press the button again. When the hatch starts to beep, I have to pull open the latch manually. When opened manually, the hatch does not close with a button. The hatch has to be closed manually.

I am sure I am not the only one who is having trouble with the hatch. There may be a thread with a solution out there. If you know a link to a solution or had the problem and found a solution, your input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem on my 04. Trying to figure out what it was, I looked thru to the motor area and I noticed that there is a gear in there that I can move with my finger about a quarter inch...I am assuming that something has broken and this gear is not engaging the door and raising/lowering it. Unfortunately I havent had the time to pull off all the trim and really get a good look at it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same problem on my 04. Trying to figure out what it was, I looked thru to the motor area and I noticed that there is a gear in there that I can move with my finger about a quarter inch...I am assuming that something has broken and this gear is not engaging the door and raising/lowering it. Unfortunately I havent had the time to pull off all the trim and really get a good look at it.
Chris,

This is a common problem on 4th gen minivan that there's got to be this topic discussed somewhere. I am hoping someone would lead me to the thread. I've been doing some search on the subject myself but wasn't successful as the hatch is called with different names. I will post any link if I find it.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
The proper term is liftgate. The electronics have made something simple into a very complicated procedure.
There are many electronic components, sensors, switches, gear motor assemblies, etc that are all communicating with each other.
Without the proper DRB III scan tool, your options are limited as to what you can actually test.

Reading the description and operation of the liftgate makes you long for the days when it was a simple mechanical latch.

There have been threads on this before, you just need to search for liftgate
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPERATION (this is only a short description, the service manual goes into a longer description)

Battery voltage is supplied to the power liftgate system through a fuse located in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) assembly. The power liftgate open/close command can be initiated by either one press of the power liftgate overhead console switch, one press of the power liftgate D-Pillar switch or two presses of the key fob power liftgate button. The overhead console and D-Pillar switches are hardwired to the power liftgate control module, where as the key fob signal is sent out on the Controller Area Network (CAN) Data Bus circuit. This signal is detected by the power liftgate control module. The power liftgate control module then interprets the information to confirm safety requirements are met before applying power to the power liftgate motor to start a power cycle.

During a power liftgate open or close cycle, if the power liftgate control module detects sufficient resistance to liftgate travel, such as an obstruction in the liftgate's path, the control module will immediately stop liftgate movement and reverse the direction of travel to the full open or closed position.

The power liftgate control module has the ability to relearn. After 8 miles have been recorded on the odometer, anytime the liftgate is fully opened and fully closed using the automatic system, the module will learn from its cycle. If a replacement power liftgate component is installed or a liftgate adjustment is made, the module will relearn the effort and time required to open or close the liftgate. This learn cycle can be performed with a Diagnostic Scan Tool or with a complete cycle of the liftgate, using any of the command switches.

=========================================
POWER LIFTGATE LEARN CYCLE

Any time a power liftgate component is removed, replaced or a liftgate adjustment is performed, a learn cycle must be performed. This learn cycle enables the power liftgate control module to learn or relearn information (travel limits, resistance to door travel, etc.) which allows it to perform properly and safely. To perform a learn cycle do the following:

Obtain an appropriate scan tool.
Connect the scan tool to the vehicle and check for any power liftgate system stored trouble codes, correct and erase any stored codes.
Close liftgate.
Using the scan tool, select the Power Liftgate Module (PLGM) Menu, More Options, System Tests and select the Open Door Test.
Using a scan tool check "routine status" for a pass or fail message. If the Open Door Test did not pass, the scan tool will display the reason to aid in system diagnosis or rerunning the Open Door Test routine.
Using the scan tool, select Power Liftgate Module (PLGM) Menu, More Options, System Tests and select the Close Door Test.
Using a scan tool check "routine status" for a pass or fail message. If the Close Door Test did not pass, the scan tool will display the reason to aid in system diagnosis or rerunning the Close Door Test routine.
Follow the instructions on the scan tool to complete the test.
The liftgate learn cycle is complete.
NOTE: If the power liftgate will not complete a full cycle a problem exists with the power liftgate system. In order to obtain conclusive testing of the power liftgate system, the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus, and all of the electronic modules that provide inputs to, or receive outputs from the power liftgate system components must be checked. Any diagnosis of the power liftgate system should begin with, the use of a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic service information.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Some more info on the tailgate:

EXTERIOR HANDLE SWITCH
Vehicles equipped with a power liftgate or power locks utilize a exterior handle switch. The exterior handle switch is a electronic release switch mounted to the rear license plate lamp housing assembly, located just above the license plate. This switch controls the power liftgate release function and is also capable of reversing the power liftgate when it is in motion. A full power open cycle cannot be performed using this switch, only one of the power open command switches (key fob and overhead console mounted) can be used to perform a full power open cycle.

The exterior handle switch is a serviceable component. Consult your MoparTM parts catalog for a specific part number.

When the exterior handle switch is depressed, with the liftgate in the closed position. A message is sent to the Body Control Module (BCM) . The Body Control Module then sends a signal to the power liftgate control module via the J1850 PCI data bus circuit. The power liftgate control module then sends a signal to the power latch mounted actuator, which moves the liftgate from the primary closed and latched position to the open and movable position. If the liftgate is not pulled open once the latch releases within a few seconds , the latch will cinch closed again.

LATCH
Vehicles equipped with a power liftgate, utilize a power cinch/release latch. This latch performs the same features as a manual liftgate latch as well as the power cinch and/or release capability. A second type of power latch can also be found on some RS models, this latch is designed to perform a power release only. The power cinch and release capability is accomplished by an actuator mounted to the leading edge of the latch assembly. The latch is located in the lower center of the liftgate assembly and contains integral pawl and ratchet switches. The ratchet switch acts as a liftgate ajar switch.

The power latch assembly can be serviced as a complete assembly, latch without actuator or just the actuator. Consult your Mopar parts catalog for specific part numbers.

On the power cinch/release latch, the latch mounted actuator provides the torque required to close the power liftgate from the secondary to the primary closed and latched position. On the power cinch/release latch and the power release only latch, the actuator releases the liftgate from the primary closed and latched position to the fully unlatched and movable position.

LATCH ACTUATOR
Vehicles equipped with a power liftgate utilize a power cinch latch or power release latch. The power cinch and/or power release is made possible by a latch actuator attached to the leading edge of the power latch assembly. This 12 volt latch actuator contains a small drive gear that meshes with the latch assemblies internal gears to perform the power cinch close/power release operations. Refer to the Latch assembly for more information.

The power cinch/release actuator is serviceable component. Consult your MoparTM parts catalog for specific part numbers.

During a power close cycle, the power cinch actuator provides the torque required to close the power liftgate from the secondary to the primary closed and latched position. During a power open cycle, the power release actuator releases the liftgate from the primary closed and latched position to the fully unlatched and movable position.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some more info on the tailgate:

EXTERIOR HANDLE SWITCH
Vehicles equipped with a power liftgate or power locks utilize a exterior handle switch. The exterior handle switch is a electronic release switch mounted to the rear license plate lamp housing assembly, located just above the license plate. This switch controls the power liftgate release function and is also capable of reversing the power liftgate when it is in motion. A full power open cycle cannot be performed using this switch, only one of the power open command switches (key fob and overhead console mounted) can be used to perform a full power open cycle.

The exterior handle switch is a serviceable component. Consult your MoparTM parts catalog for a specific part number.

When the exterior handle switch is depressed, with the liftgate in the closed position. A message is sent to the Body Control Module (BCM) . The Body Control Module then sends a signal to the power liftgate control module via the J1850 PCI data bus circuit. The power liftgate control module then sends a signal to the power latch mounted actuator, which moves the liftgate from the primary closed and latched position to the open and movable position. If the liftgate is not pulled open once the latch releases within a few seconds , the latch will cinch closed again.

LATCH
Vehicles equipped with a power liftgate, utilize a power cinch/release latch. This latch performs the same features as a manual liftgate latch as well as the power cinch and/or release capability. A second type of power latch can also be found on some RS models, this latch is designed to perform a power release only. The power cinch and release capability is accomplished by an actuator mounted to the leading edge of the latch assembly. The latch is located in the lower center of the liftgate assembly and contains integral pawl and ratchet switches. The ratchet switch acts as a liftgate ajar switch.

The power latch assembly can be serviced as a complete assembly, latch without actuator or just the actuator. Consult your Mopar parts catalog for specific part numbers.

On the power cinch/release latch, the latch mounted actuator provides the torque required to close the power liftgate from the secondary to the primary closed and latched position. On the power cinch/release latch and the power release only latch, the actuator releases the liftgate from the primary closed and latched position to the fully unlatched and movable position.

LATCH ACTUATOR
Vehicles equipped with a power liftgate utilize a power cinch latch or power release latch. The power cinch and/or power release is made possible by a latch actuator attached to the leading edge of the power latch assembly. This 12 volt latch actuator contains a small drive gear that meshes with the latch assemblies internal gears to perform the power cinch close/power release operations. Refer to the Latch assembly for more information.

The power cinch/release actuator is serviceable component. Consult your MoparTM parts catalog for specific part numbers.

During a power close cycle, the power cinch actuator provides the torque required to close the power liftgate from the secondary to the primary closed and latched position. During a power open cycle, the power release actuator releases the liftgate from the primary closed and latched position to the fully unlatched and movable position.
Thank you for providing this information! I have a liftgate that has not opened electronically for a few years, and one of the grandkids asked me how come, and I pushed the fob button twice, and IT WORKED! I was elated! But it was short lived. Two times later, it didn't work. I'd LOVE to get it to work!

Where did you find this description at? And does it have pictures as well? It's been years since I tried looking into this, and couldn't figure it out. (It kept acting intermittently, but mostly not working). I see that I may have sabotaged my own troubleshooting by performing part of the open/close sequence manually. And I had NO idea there was a mileage component in there as well!!!

Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts