The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 Touring model... I noticed the passenger's side (right) sliding door would not lock at all... the power slide function is working but it just will not lock. I noticed the inside "lock switch" is stuck and cannot manually push it to "lock"

Is there something im overlooking?

thank you

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
We have a 2016 Touring model... I noticed the passenger's side (right) sliding door would not lock at all... the power slide function is working but it just will not lock. I noticed the inside "lock switch" is stuck and cannot manually push it to "lock"

Is there something im overlooking?

thank you
Not too sure of what you are describing. There's a lock function in the overhead console, a child lock switch on each sliding door (rear), and a lock button near the interior handle on my 2016. Assuming it's the latter, has any one been tampering with it, like kids, while the electrical function is being used? That can mess up the actuator. There's a lock actuator inside the door. Sounds like it's jammed or the levers to it are jammed.
Sit in the van and electrically lock the doors. Is there any noise inside that door when that is done. Do the same with the unlock function. Also discern any minuscule movement at the lock button n the door. That will help give a feel for what is working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too sure of what you are describing. There's a lock function in the overhead console, a child lock switch on each sliding door (rear), and a lock button near the interior handle on my 2016. Assuming it's the latter, has any one been tampering with it, like kids, while the electrical function is being used? That can mess up the actuator. There's a lock actuator inside the door. Sounds like it's jammed or the levers to it are jammed.
Sit in the van and electrically lock the doors. Is there any noise inside that door when that is done. Do the same with the unlock function. Also discern any minuscule movement at the lock button n the door. That will help give a feel for what is working.

electrically...all doors will lock except for that one sliding door. Basically anyone from outside can just pull the door handle and it'll open.

Also I noticed while sitting inside, I cannot lock/unlock manually as well. It is stuck on "unlock"... I'll see if I can post a picture or video as soon as I can... I appreciate you trying to help

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sounds like your door lock actuator for the passenger sliding door has failed. It also sounds like the actuator has failed in a manner that prevents movement of the actuator by use of the manual lock lever. My 2013 T&C Touring has recently had a similar failure, except that the manual lever is still functional and so the door can be locked and unlocked manually, but it is still an inconvenience and I am planning to replace the lock actuator.

The replacement procedure is a fairly difficult task and is one that most people would prefer to have done by a dealer or independent mechanic. I have not yet attempted the replacement, but I have ordered the actuator and plan to give it a try when the part arrives. I have seen varying estimates of dealer repair costs (up to $500 or $600 for parts and labor) so I decided to give it a try.

The Youtube video below gives a pretty good picture of the work involved to replace the actuator.
Good luck,
Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVod3qLx5F4

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,064 Posts
It sounds like your door lock actuator for the passenger sliding door has failed.
Not so sure about that. When actuator fails, you should still be able to manually lock/unlock the door.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
electrically...all doors will lock except for that one sliding door. Basically anyone from outside can just pull the door handle and it'll open.

Also I noticed while sitting inside, I cannot lock/unlock manually as well. It is stuck on "unlock"... I'll see if I can post a picture or video as soon as I can... I appreciate you trying to help
My experience (2005 and 2007 Caravans) with an actuator failure is that operation will be intermittent and then worsens to the point that the actuator doesn't have the strength to to lock the door BUT the door could still be locked manually. Sounds like your actuator is fried, or chewed up inside, rather than just weak.

If it is an electrical glitch, the normal procedure is to disconnect the negative cable for 10 minutes, then reconnect so the computer can reboot.

No help, but a quick video on power door operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSiSgj7kRw

For the 4th Generation the replacement of the actuator wasn't all that difficult, just a couple tricks to it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We had several doorlock actuator’s fail in the right rear slider of our 2010 town and country. The doorlock would jam and you could not lock the door manually or with the electric button.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Be thankful it failed/jammed in the unlocked position rather than the locked position. Much easier to replace the rear latch assembly (if that's what failed) when you can open the sliding door, compared to being locked shut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, Zambee500, that's the exact problem I have. The driver side sliding door on my 2008 T&C Touring is locked, and will not unlock no matter what method I try, including manually moving the slide. The passenger side works fine.
Ugh, not looking forward to paying a mechanic to fix it; that video of removing the actuator looks really time-consuming. Besides, as I said, the door is locked.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
Thanks, Zambee500, that's the exact problem I have. The driver side sliding door on my 2008 T&C Touring is locked, and will not unlock no matter what method I try, including manually moving the slide. The passenger side works fine.
Ugh, not looking forward to paying a mechanic to fix it; that video of removing the actuator looks really time-consuming. Besides, as I said, the door is locked.
Does it have to be opened to get the panel off?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't want to thread-jack the OP's problem. But you can look here at the ordeal I went through: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/143169-Sliding-Door-won-t-unlock?p=1540769#post1540769.

It seems the rear door latch assemblies are starting to fail given age and heat/cold on the cheap Chineseum plastic gears that sheer off after the plastic gets brittle over time. Could have been coincidence, but when it happened to me the rear door latch assembly was on back order at both VW (Routan) and Chrysler/Dodge dealerships. And there seems to have been a small handful of recent anecdotal evidence here of more failures. The part is expensive (~$400) and if it fails in the locked position the labor is also very expensive to disassemble the interior door panel and remove the window and all the innards to get to the back of the sliding door to release the jammed door. From there - when the rear of the sliding door pops out a few inches, you may have to cut off the striker plate to free the door, which will finally give you access to replace the ~$400 rear latch assembly.

If it fails in the unlocked position, however, I suppose you simply open the door for easy access to the door latch assembly. Still an expensive part, IMO. The R&R itself isn't that difficult once you have access and have the replacement part in hand. The fun part is getting the access.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Warranty covered ours both times it happened.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I completed the replacement today of the lock actuator on the right rear sliding door of our 2013 T&C. The procedure took me the better part of 6 hours but it was fairly well described by the Youtube Video that I posted earlier. The lock actuator is located in the rear latch module and connects to the interior door handle by a long linkage rod (about 1/4" diameter). The biggest challenge seems to be getting that rear module out of the door after removing the interior door panel and forward door module. Re-installation of the rear module is a bit challenging also, but a bit of prying and patience and it can be done.

The lock actuator was purchased from Auto Parts Warehouse (about $40 including shipping) and was a direct fit for the original. It is somewhat disappointing that this component only lasted 4 years (about 1 year past original warranty), but glad it's fixed and working.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts