The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2000 Chrysler T+C. After I drive it for say 20-30 minutes on the highway and it gets nice and hot, I get off the highway and the power steering pump acts like its going out, making grinding noises like they do when theyre low on fluid. I pulled over opened the hood and the fluid is leaking out from around the power steering cap on the remote reservoir.

First thought was simply needs a cap. Then I took the cap off and you could tell there was at least a 1/2 quart spilled out everywhere, the fluid was level to the top.

Went to the part store. And when i pulled in it showed the fluid was low, poured some fluid in and had a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth and after about 3 turns it just started puking back out at me and the pump started whining.

Everyone keeps asking if I overfilled it, I did not, and besides, the pump only starts groaning when the fluid is pumping out of the reservoir... the wrong way.

The rack n pinion seems fine, I crawled underneath and didnt see any leaks or feel any fluid in the tie rod end boots so If it got air in the system I'm not sure where it came from.

So I guess the question is, has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure where to start and I'm afraid the throwing the pump on is just going to be chasing my tail.
Any thoughts?

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Welcome!

I wonder if there really is air trapped in the system somehow. I'm not familiar enough with the P/S systems to know exactly how they work, but I wonder if air can be bled from it somehow.

:hi2: Welcome to The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums! :biggrin:

Established in July of 2003, Glen Millar's Chrysler Minivan Fan Club has become the #1 online destination for owners and fans of America's favorite and best-selling minivan. We are very passionate about the Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan, and Plymouth Voyager/Grand Voyager vehicles we drive. Now with over 10,000 members from the United States and around the globe, we hope that our collective experience can be of assistance to you with your own Chrysler minivan(s), and we look forward to learning from your experience as well. After all, the more that is shared, the richer our community becomes. Here is some information that you may or may not have already heard that will help you get acquainted with the club and the online forums:

As with any community we would ask that you review the legal and privacy policies for Chrysler Minivan Fan Club. The following link includes important copyright, affiliation and disclaimer information as well as the fan club forum's rules and guidelines/violation consequences. This information can be reviewed at http://www.chryslerminivan.net/legal.html. Click HERE to browse the Frequently Asked Questions portion of the site.

First a word about Technical Service Bulletins [TSBs] / Recalls. If you are new to the forum, please have your vehicle identification number [VIN] ready along with the make, model, trim and engine size [e.g. 3.3L V6]. A lot of problems can be resolved on a vehicle by making sure that it is up to date on all recall/TSB repairs. These repairs can be completed FREE of charge at your local authorized Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer. You can check the recall status of your vehicle by calling your service department OR by going online: To do so, have your VIN number ready and go to http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/ for all Chrysler brand vehicles, and http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/ for all Dodge brand vehicles. For all Plymouth brand vehicles, please contact your authorized Chrysler dealer.

We would highly encourage you to pick up a Haynes/Chilton Repair Manual and/or Factory Service Manual [FSM] for your model year Chrysler minivan. They are available online, as well as at several retail auto parts stores. These books are a great reference and will save you a lot of time and trouble when working on your vehicle, it is money well spent! You may also wish to invest in one or more online services that offer the same or more information. A good one that I have had experience with is AllDataDIY.com. **Please Note: Third-party manuals are not guaranteed to have all of the information you might need to complete a repair, so you may need to consult several different sources in order to get the knowledge necessary to complete the job.

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the forum's functions. Located at the top of the forum's page is the SEARCH function. This is a very powerful tool that can help you find the answer to several very commonly asked questions. I would advise you to make this your first stop before posting a new thread in the forums, as someone may have already asked your question previously and gotten an answer. You may have to try several different search terms, so please be patient! To say "Thank You!" to a member who offered useful information to you, you can click on the "Thanks" icon that appears in the bottom right-hand corner of their post.

Finally, I would invite you to join the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Online Showroom. Should you like, please take a digital photograph of your minivan from the front driver's side corner. Then, all you need to do is email the photograph in an attachment to [email protected], making sure to put your forum username in the SUBJECT line of the email. Your photograph will be automatically uploaded to the showroom. Once you're done, go to www.tinyurl.com/d39osq to view the online showroom and see your vehicle on display amongst all of ours! [If you'd like to see some examples of pictures you can always view the showroom first!]

Click HERE For More Information The Online Showroom

Utilizing the "User CP" link at the top left corner of the page, please fill out your user profile. In addition, it would be most helpful to us if you would please include your vehicle(s)' information year, make, model, trim and mileage in your signature so we may reference it if need be on your posts. [e.g. "1996 Chrysler Town & Country LXi 123,456 Miles | 198 683 kms"] As always, should you have any questions, please ask.

Again, welcome to the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club. :thumb:

-Chrysler1924

Note: If you would like to advertise your business on The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club, there are several options available. This is a fun, inexpensive way to support this burgeoning community and promote your business. For more information, please visit http://www.chryslerminivan.net/advertise.htm

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Mopar are all registered trademarks of Chrysler LLC.

·
Super Moderator
24,777 Posts
Sounds like the return line (usually the smaller line) isn't allowing the fluid to return, hence the pump is starving (the reason for the noise) and the reservoir is fillling up (the reason for the overflowing). Apparently the pump is working but the return line is plugged somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I crawled under it this morning. I would hope it would only be a clogged return line. Ive never done a pump on one of these vans before, and it looks like a job. Is it better to remove the cat or pull the cv axle? I think I'll Try to flush the system and if it doesnt work... I'll be putting a pump on .

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Well, I crawled under it this morning. I would hope it would only be a clogged return line. Ive never done a pump on one of these vans before, and it looks like a job. Is it better to remove the cat or pull the cv axle? I think I'll Try to flush the system and if it doesnt work... I'll be putting a pump on .
You should not have to pull the axle, nor the CAT. You should be able to access it easily from underneath, as I recall.

Definitely sounds like the pump, though. May also wish to replace the return hose, too, for "PR".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine did exactly the same yesterday, i cleaned everything and inspected it with the engine runing and no sound or problem, came on it to work but will make a flush of the system and see how it goes.

good luck too

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just in case...

I read about the resevoir with the (useless) filter grate in the botton of it needing to be replaced to fix a noise like you desribe, right here on this site.
$35 for the res, 2 lires of fluid from the dealer, and the noise is gone and steering is fine again.
If you are going to do the pump, change it out too, as the mesh may be clogged like mine was.:thumb:

I have put a few more pals onto this site, and thank all who try to help out on it with great info and insight into these (pretty) great vehicles!!

:beerchug:

·
Vendor
565 Posts
Maybe I am having a senior moment but I do not recall two hoses on my 99 DGC power steering reservoir as I see on my current 2007 T&C. I believe that on my 99 DGC the return line from the power steering rack only went back to the pump which appeared to have a chamber on the back. The reservoir only had the one hose. Does the 2000 have the same reservoir as my (gen 3) 99 DGC or does it have the reservoir on the engine rather than the fender wall as my 99 had. If the 2000 is similar to my 99 I am very curious why the fluid is being forced out. Unfortunately I do not have my 99 FSM since I gave to my friend when I gave him my 99 DGC.

96 Grand Voyager retired
99 DGC Sport retired at 137K mi
07 T&C SWB with 18050 mi

·
Registered
86 Posts
yes I see only one hose under the reservoir tank, anyway Mine died yesterday on a steep highway, barely made it to my parents house, left it there, will take it to a mechanic today to be checked, hope it isnt to $$$, Im down here in centralamerica and parts are not cheap.

No autozone o pepboys or anything, just the chrysler dealer and some parts stores but other than that no much choices

·
Registered
913 Posts
First, I assume you have a 3.3 or 3.8, otherwise ignore this.

If you try to take the pump out past the Cat you will need to remove the pulley from the pump first - no way it will go through otherwise.

Removing the cv axle involves a lot of work as well. I thought of doing that on mine but instead I removed the crankshaft pulley and manouvered the pump out that way, with the pump pulley still attached.

·
Super Moderator
24,777 Posts
Sounds like the return line (usually the smaller line) isn't allowing the fluid to return, hence the pump is starving (the reason for the noise) and the reservoir is fillling up (the reason for the overflowing). Apparently the pump is working but the return line is plugged somewhere.
Sorry. That was based on the Generation 4. The Generation 3 has the old style set up with a single supply line from the reservoir. The power steering fluid return line to the pump, from the rack, appears to be the shorter pipe according to the Haynes Manual. I would be checking both lines.

·
Vendor
565 Posts
If Jeepsick's power steering reservoir on his 2000 sits on the engine with a return and a supply line then a likely culprit would be the screen on the bottom of the reservoir that has given many Gen-4 owners fits and is solved by replacing the reservoir and flushing the fluid. If it is a type Gen-3 with only one hose and sits on the fender side wall I cannot imagine what would force fluid out except for some severe overheating caused by a possible exhaust leak blowing on the power steering lines or pumps. I do recall that my 99 DGC had a heat shield on one of the power steering pump lines.

Frank
96 Grand Voyager retired
07 T&C SWB with 18050 mi

·
Super Moderator
24,777 Posts
If Jeepsick's power steering reservoir on his 2000 sits on the engine with a return and a supply line then a likely culprit would be the screen on the bottom of the reservoir that has given many Gen-4 owners fits and is solved by replacing the reservoir and flushing the fluid. If it is a type Gen-3 with only one hose and sits on the fender side wall I cannot imagine what would force fluid out except for some severe overheating caused by a possible exhaust leak blowing on the power steering lines or pumps. I do recall that my 99 DGC had a heat shield on one of the power steering pump lines.

Frank
96 Grand Voyager retired
07 T&C SWB with 18050 mi
I wonder if the return hose to his pump isn't collasped / blocked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update, I put new pump and reservoir on Did the same thing a couple days later. Im clueless, all the lines seem fine, flushed the fluid and put in fresh fluid. Could a power steering rack Cause fluid to be pumped out.

·
Vendor
565 Posts
Update, I put new pump and reservoir on Did the same thing a couple days later. Im clueless, all the lines seem fine, flushed the fluid and put in fresh fluid. Could a power steering rack Cause fluid to be pumped out.
Here is a really wild thought if your reservoir has only one hose like my old 99 DGC

Wrong serpentine belt somehow installed incorrectly if possible allowing the pump to turn backwards. Since I no longer have my 99 I cannot see if there is any way to install a belt that could make the pump run backwards.

Does your van possibly have a power steering cooler in addition to a transmission cooler?

Frank
96 Grand Voyager retired
99 DGC Sport retired at 137K miles
07 T&C SWB 18700 mi

·
Vendor
565 Posts
Another thought is a leak in the rack which over time gets captured in the bellows and in the meantime the reservoir is topped off. At some time with a tight turn the trapped fluid in the bellows is expelled from the bellows when it shrinks sending it up the line into the reservoir. A possible clue is finding a bellows with a lot of fluid in it.

Please make sure to let us know what you finally find that fixes it.

Frank
96 Grand Voyager retired
07 T&C SWB at 18700 mi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bellows are dry as a bone. I actually had a shop install the pump because it looked like a nightmare to pull. The mechanic I know at the shop made me buy him a pack of Camels... because he said it was a night mare. Sure it doesn't have any air in the system. I may replace the hoses. I'm wondering if the heat from the cat is weakening the hoses and causing them to suck shut. Unless the pump itself is just a junk reman pump....but then nobody I talk to every says they heard of a pump blowing fluid out the remote reseroir.

It doe have the return hose and supply line, but when they replaced the pump they replaced the whole assembly with a new reservoir.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts