The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've' been hearing Noise and feeling roughness when parking in my wife's '03 Caravan 120,000 miles. No leaks and fluid is full. Notice noise is louder after 30 minutes of driving. It Sounds like low fluid Groan. Although I see no Pump or Rack leaks should I be thinking of a New Rack Assy. ? Any additives help this ? Seafoam ? Thanks and Happy Holidays !

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
Rest easy, it's not the power steering rack.

Compilation: 1. Power Steering Shudder; 2. Power Steering Whine

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,797 Posts
Another Good Practice is to let the car 'creep' (if you can) while doing parking maneuvers. This lessens the demands on the power steering pump.

Older tires can make the groan/strain tendency more pronounced.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Another Good Practice is to let the car 'creep' (if you can) while doing parking maneuvers. This lessens the demands on the power steering pump.
Yes, avoid 'dry steering' when circumstances allow it...

**Also +1 on the reservoir replacement. And only use ATF +4 for steering fluid.
Let us know how it turns out.
PS reservoir replacement is indicated by a growl or groan when maneuvering (or even simple idle).

I remember a member, I think it was itsallgood, and they got reservoir from AutoZone with lifetime warranty. The he would replace the reservoir (and internal filter) on a regular basis every few years.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
Yes, avoid 'dry steering' when circumstances allow it...

**Also +1 on the reservoir replacement. And only use ATF +4 for steering fluid.
Let us know how it turns out.
I don't believe you really need to use ATF+4 in the power steering system but yes, use recommended fluid if possible.

I know of a guy who uses high quality motor oil in the power steering system and it works just as good as power steering fluid.

Remember, Mopar makes money out of every quart of ATF+4 sold anywhere in the world, so they will strongly recommend it.

ATF+4 was formulated especially for their transmissions (use nothing else on their transmissions), but since it also works fine on P.S., they want you yo use it so they can keep making money.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
ATF+4 IS the factory recommended fluid, so use that. They changed to it in 2002 or 2003 in response to chattering steering complaints. The steering fluid gets hot, and the synthetic fluid deals with the heat better to last longer. I even put it in my 3rd gen when i replaced it's power steering pump a decade ago. No more regular power steering fluid = one more different chemical that I don't need to keep around - simplicity.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
If you get stranded in the middle of nowhere and there is not ATF+ whatever available, use any power steering fluid (or ATF fluid] you can find, you will not notice any difference.

ATF+ on P.S. is just a stream of income for Chrysler, not really necessary.

But, as I've said before, use OE recommended fluid if available (just for peace of mind).

Seen Chrysler vehicles with non ATF+4 working fine for thousands of miles, so I know what I'm talking abiut.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i'd say that's fine, but on my van where a LOT of rubber things are dryrotting, and some things are leaking, i'd continue to use only atf+4 in it to not upset any seals

also i have atf+4 laying around anyway to keep topping up my transmission once a month ☺

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
I think ATF+4 is for simplicity and quality control, vs universal amber power steering fluid, one less fluid to keep track of, and it meets Chrysler's technical specifications.. I believe most Manufacturers have gone this route.

One thing for sure, it won't be used for "synthetic" brake fluid or coolant. :)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
"Seen Chrysler vehicles with non ATF+4 working fine for thousands of miles, so I know what I'm talking about".

Yeah, all older vehicles before the changeover. Even then, We had a Dodge truck come into the shop I was working in at the time, with power steering problems. The valves in the pump got gummed up and only allowed power assist in one direction. The pump had to be replaced. Old standard power steering fluid failure, or lack of maintenance?

Using ATF+4 might be better than standard for colder climates (like mine) as it flows better when cold. Standard could work just fine down south, so climate could have been a decision factor. More vehicles operating farther away vs. closer to the equator. Chrysler saving money on potential warranty labor.

I think the changeover was to negate more warranty claims to save money on services. Also happened when Chrysler was trying to save money, so could also be on the right track with the licensing of ATF+4 and subsequent sales of fluid.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
P.S. system doesn't have clutches, so no special friction coefficient is needed. As Jeepman stated, one less fluid to worry about, then it doesn't care who make it, Chrysler still makes money out of it.

If you know how an hydraulic system works, then you know what a P.S. fluid do.

Need of ATF+4 in the P.S. system is just a bunch of B.S.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
Chrysler has 4 different power steering fluids depending on vehicle per:
What power steering fluid

Chrysler uses four different fluids.

Many Pre-1998 vehicles require MS-5931 Chrysler # 04883077

Many Post 1998 vehicles require MS-9602, which is ATF+4

Newer Jeeps require fluid specification MS-10838.

Hybrid Chrysler vehicles require MS-11655.

So, there are differences in specification for some reason.

As for friction modifiers in power steering fluid, they help quiet things down.

Aftermarket power steering fluid additives also contain friction modifiers that can help quiet noisy pumps.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,559 Posts
I think at least six different, maybe seven, not counting engine oil.

05166226AA
Pentosin CHF 11S
Pentosin 11S
05142893AA

Chrysler, Dodge All post‐1998 models (unless specified) ATF+4 05166226AA

Chrysler, Dodge All pre‐1998 models Power Steering Fluid 04883077

Chrysler Crossfire Pentosin CHF 11S
Dodge Trucks Sprinter Pentosin 11S

Jeep 09‐05 Grand Cherokee, all engines WK Hydraulic 05142893AA

Jeep 09‐06 Commander, 5.7L WK Hydraulic 05142893AA

Jeep 07‐06 Commander, 3.7L & 4.7L WK Hydraulic 05142893AA

Jeep All post‐1998 models (unless specified) ATF+4 05166226AA

Jeep All pre‐1998 models and pre‐2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Power Steering Fluid

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Merry Christmas Everyone ! I ordered a Dorman reservoir off Epay and I will get a couple Quarts of ATF + 4. Is there a way to flush or drain the P/S system ? Or should I just replace the fluid that is in the Reservoir ? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad I saw this - explains a lot. I just bought a 2007 Grand Caravan C/V with 315K miles on the clock. Within a week it started making a steering whine, like it was low on fluid. I had problems seeing the level in the reservoir and ended up overfilling it. Noise went away. Since I knew I wouldn't get to an oil change soon myself, I had a quick change place do it. They saw the overfilled reservoir and pilled some fluid out to the indicated "FULL" level. Guess what - noise is back :-( Guess I try the new reservoir trick.

·
Super Moderator
22,869 Posts
Glad I saw this - explains a lot. I just bought a 2007 Grand Caravan C/V with 315K miles on the clock. Within a week it started making a steering whine, like it was low on fluid. I had problems seeing the level in the reservoir and ended up overfilling it. Noise went away. Since I knew I wouldn't get to an oil change soon myself, I had a quick change place do it. They saw the overfilled reservoir and pilled some fluid out to the indicated "FULL" level. Guess what - noise is back :-( Guess I try the new reservoir trick.

Topping the reservoir up is one of the remedies for the noise, less air available to get in the system. Leave a little room at the top for expansion.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts