The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,797 Posts
@LEVY you don't need to K-Turn into our garage every 15 miles of driving... ;)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
Well, there you go, a new product idea, redundant, absolutely unneeded and useless.

It'll sell like hotcakes
If it's not needed, then why are people replacing their reservoirs? I've never had a vehicle where I've had to replace mine. I don't know why some people here have replaced theirs every few years. Oh yeah, because it has a FILTER THAT CLOGS!! Why build it into a big plastic thing that is a pain to change compared to a standalone filter? Not to mention people just throw it into the garbage where it will stay forever (can they be recycled?). Usually you can clean them out and they're fine. So why do they keep plugging up? I agree, debris is getting into the system from aluminum parts that wear, so a replaceable filter is ideal.

The filter idea is better than my first idea of running the power steering off of the transmission. They both use the same fluid, so why not? Do away with the power steering pump and reservoir altogether, and use the filtered fluid from a pressure port on the transmission. The risk of CROSS CONTAMINATION is too great, so that is why I dismissed that idea. A little housing with a replaceable filter cartridge for the power steering would be great though.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
... so a replaceable filter is ideal.

The filter idea is better than my first idea of running the power steering off of the transmission. They both use the same fluid, so why not? Do away with the power steering pump and reservoir altogether, and use the filtered fluid from a pressure port on the transmission. The risk of CROSS CONTAMINATION is too great, so that is why I dismissed that idea. A little housing with a replaceable filter cartridge for the power steering would be great though.
Here you go Dan, spin on...

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it's not needed, then why are people replacing their reservoirs? I've never had a vehicle where I've had to replace mine. I don't know why some people here have replaced theirs every few years. Oh yeah, because it has a FILTER THAT CLOGS!! Why build it into a big plastic thing that is a pain to change compared to a standalone filter? Not to mention people just throw it into the garbage where it will stay forever (can they be recycled?). Usually you can clean them out and they're fine. So why do they keep plugging up? I agree, debris is getting into the system from aluminum parts that wear, so a replaceable filter is ideal.

Probably need to consider the operating pressures of an automatic trans and a power rack and pinion system. Typical working pressures inside an auto trans is usually 150-200 - power racks are often in the 500-2000 range. They wouldn't go to the expense of the pump, extra weight, belt drag, etc. for the power steering if the correct pressure was available from the trans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally changed the power steering reservoir on my Caravan - 2007 C/V with a 3.3 and 315K on the clock. Van had the typical noise and was getting pretty annoying. Pretty easy, being right on top of the engine. Only tip I can offer is that after I pulled the fluid out that you can easily get to, I stabbed a screwdriver down thru the filter to vac out the cup of fluid trapped below it. MUCH less messy when you pull the hoses. Filled with ATF +4 as suggested here, and after some mild figure 8's to purge the air bubbles - steering was quiet. I sourced a new Mopar unit from Rock Auto for about $20 shipped, $7 for the +4, so for under $30 it was a cheap, easy fix for a repair quoted by a local shop to be a several hundred dollar pump replacement.

·
Super Moderator
22,871 Posts
Finally changed the power steering reservoir on my Caravan - 2007 C/V with a 3.3 and 315K on the clock. Van had the typical noise and was getting pretty annoying. Pretty easy, being right on top of the engine. Only tip I can offer is that after I pulled the fluid out that you can easily get to, I stabbed a screwdriver down thru the filter to vac out the cup of fluid trapped below it. MUCH less messy when you pull the hoses. Filled with ATF +4 as suggested here, and after some mild figure 8's to purge the air bubbles - steering was quiet. I sourced a new Mopar unit from Rock Auto for about $20 shipped, $7 for the +4, so for under $30 it was a cheap, easy fix for a repair quoted by a local shop to be a several hundred dollar pump replacement.

Those remanufactured power steering pumps are never as quiet as the OE pumps were.

A noise producing power steering reservoir is not limited to just Chrysler products. Just imagine how many power steering pumps have been replaced needlessly. "Oh yes, and we also replaced your power steering reservoir too. You're good to go, nice and quiet". $$$$ :)

Combining power steering fluid with transmission fluid ........ don't think so. The transmission should be an isolated system as much as possible. Too many rubber hoses and steel pipes (corrosion) in the power steering system to risk polluting the transmission fluid. The fact that a screen in a power steering reservoir gets dirty fairly easily is concerning. Magnefine filters seemed to be the answer for both transmission and power steering systems, but they didn't really catch on. Plus, they have to be replaced on a regular basis as well. They aren't cheap either.

Chrysler and Ford remanufactured transmissions use to have a Magnefine filter included in the package. Maybe they still do.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,560 Posts
They both use the same fluid, so why not? Do away with the power steering pump and reservoir altogether, and use the filtered fluid from a pressure port on the transmission. The risk of CROSS CONTAMINATION is too great, so that is why I dismissed that idea. A little housing with a replaceable filter cartridge for the power steering would be great though.
Great you dismissed your idea before thousands of vehicles were on the road already.

Bet manufacturers were on the drawing board already working on your project.

You saved them millions of dollars by dismissing your idea. (y)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
Lolz.

Steering started to make noise this week. Topped up the reservoir, and quiet again. Gotta love simple fixes. Well, the REAL fix will be replacing the power steering cooler hoses underneath, which look oily and are likely the source of the leak.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts