The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I DON'T live in an Igloo!
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am within spitting distance of my lease being up and last night the van craps out on me!

My wife was driving home and noticed a grinding sound coming from the front and increased effort to steer. She indicated that since it has been snowing all day maybe the snow packed up in the wheel wells and caused this problem. I hoped, but in the back of my head I knew what was coming.

I was stuck in a 3 hr traffic jam (dead stop, a large dozer being trailered collided with many vehicles on the highway) and got home late. I immediately checked the van and as soon as I started it up, the steering was HARD.:help_wsig

I pulled the van out from the garage and sure enough a large spot of van guts all over the floor. I popped the hood and looked at the return hose...seems good. Looked over at the reservoir and it was empty!:confused:

It was dark and -25C so I wasn't going to spend alot of time trying to source this crappy thing. I called to reserve a rental car and drove the van (yes DROVE IT WITH NO FLUID, lol) Dropped it off and will need to follow up this morning to see WTF is going on.:mad:

For those of you following my various disasters with this "thing", this is the SECOND power steering failure in the winter. The first one happened last year causing me much pain and suffering, and this one is a horrible joke....it must be. :cry:

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Ahh the wonders of owning a first model year of a vehicle.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer just called.

It seems that they will have the problem fixed...today! Good news. They also added in the transmission flashing and the Washer tank reservoir bulletin.

Maybe not so bad after all, other than the interruption last night... :)

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully, it was simply a leaking hose. What's wrong with the washer solvent tank?
She didn't provide too much detail, but I assume it was the same TSB as the others had mentioned in different threads about the washer tank cap or something of that nature? I dunno. I'll get more details when I pick it up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also had a resivoir tank bullitin/rapid responce is what our dealer calls it, while the van was getting its 1st oil change. It was somthing to do with the level sensor and the main computer as they had to re and re some software.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the washer sensor is what it was. Come to think of it, I found it odd that the computer never told me the fluid was low. Even though on some occasions it was clear low or empty. I figured that it didn't have that "option". lol

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully, it was simply a leaking hose. What's wrong with the washer solvent tank?
The hose from the power steering reservoir to the engine was split. Interesting, as last time it was on the opposite side (right next to the battery) where the hose split...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts