The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to avoid power windows in older cars as expensive - but as I have had this 2000 Gen 3 Caravan for 7 years - it is time for some TLC. It has 250,000 km or 155,000 miles on it. Pretty low for 17 years eh?

The driver's side window goes UP OK but when it's time to come down there is a squeal a bit like a rubber belt slipping on a pulley. It eventually moves so I think it's some sort of binding issue. I have never opened up these doors so looking for guidance on any tricks in dealing with caravan door trim and suggestions on what parts to have ready to replace when I get it all apart.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
I tend to avoid power windows in older cars as expensive - but as I have had this 2000 Gen 3 Caravan for 7 years - it is time for some TLC. It has 250,000 km or 155,000 miles on it. Pretty low for 17 years eh?

The driver's side window goes UP OK but when it's time to come down there is a squeal a bit like a rubber belt slipping on a pulley. It eventually moves so I think it's some sort of binding issue. I have never opened up these doors so looking for guidance on any tricks in dealing with caravan door trim and suggestions on what parts to have ready to replace when I get it all apart.

Thanks
First thing would be to lubricate the channels/guides the window slides in with silicone lubricant. They could be dry/dirty.

There are cables and pulleys as part of the power (or manual) window mechanism. That apparatus is called a "regulator". Looks like this: https://www.1aauto.com/window-regul...NIVvUW6BDJw2_KngKEZGN0j3WxWOTyeRoCDDMQAvD_BwE

Lubrication of the pulleys may be helpful if the problem persists. Cables can get rusty also.

Reactions: JC1

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

Thanks
When I had my 94 accord, the power windows would bind and work slowly. Silicone spray helped, but the best fix was to remove the door panel and cut the piece of rubber channel that runs down into the door. The side that is near the rear view mirror. That rubber binds up the window and slows it down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Response

Thanks for responses - I will pull the trim and see if some simple lubrication fixes it. Otherwise it looks simpler to replace the whole motor, regulator and track. It's about $70 Cdn - new and premium quality. Cheaper knock offs are much less but I have had too many problems with poor quality parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts