The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a new to me 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT with 57k mikes that recently was inspected and had routine maintenance done under warranty. Specifically, they did a “EK10T Fuel & Induction Decarbonization Kit”. Since the car was returned to me I’ve noticed a sensation of the car trembling or stalling when coming to a stop and occasionally feeling underpowered like nothing is happening when I push down on the gas pedal. The other thing I noticed is the RPMS going up and down while driving at a steady speed on a flat road. Is it possible this fuel system cleaning kit clogged the fuel filter or caused some other related problems? Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
It would not clog the fuel filter. Fill up with Shell. They probably put that junk in the tank and it's throwing off the air fuel readings. Shell, or any other Top Tier gas has enough detergent in it to not need injector cleaner ever. 57k is way too soon to be needing anything like that anyway. Maybe at 157k if you always use cheap gas and never floor it.

If they did an induction drip, they could have overheated the engine, broke off some carbon that stuck on a valve, or got the combustion chamber so hot the exhaust valve seats dropped which this engine is known for having issues with.

You have less than 3k miles before your warranty is out, so you better find out fast or it may cost you a ton out of pocket if it's one of the more severe problems this could have caused.

Reactions: 09CaravanSE

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Didn't Chrysler specifically recommend against these types of services?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello, I have a new to me 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT with 57k mikes that recently was inspected and had routine maintenance done under warranty. Specifically, they did a “EK10T Fuel & Induction Decarbonization Kit”. Since the car was returned to me I’ve noticed a sensation of the car trembling or stalling when coming to a stop and occasionally feeling underpowered like nothing is happening when I push down on the gas pedal. The other thing I noticed is the RPMS going up and down while driving at a steady speed on a flat road. Is it possible this fuel system cleaning kit clogged the fuel filter or caused some other related problems? Thanks!
Follow what the "manual" tells you...Dealer's are always looking to make a buck?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got a feeling that your injectors are now filled with dirt and not spraying properly due to whatever cleaning they did. I doubt there was any dirt in the fuel system but who knows stuff got loosened up, then got sucked by the pump and now is in the injectors. May need new injectors. It should throw some codes too for misfires and oxygen sensors due to improper exhaust gas oxygen levels.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I push that button all the time, never noticed a difference. What does it do besides turn on a light?
If you look at manual it gives you a good explanation. Idle is lower, shifts early,as well as skips gears.
My observation is it adjust timing, fuel delivery, transmission tuning and an overall terrible driving experience. Mine now is smooth but if I cut in traffic from a stop I will get run over as it is like no acceleration but a stall then wide open. Coming off interstate onto a raised bridge bucks like in to high of a gear. Bucked so bad on 30 grade oil that wife noticed it from passenger seat but 0w20 smoothed van out. Pretty much your description. I ran it on for 1000 miles after 0w20 change and thought wow I found a fix then one day was cutting across traffic and a guy cut across a parking lot almost hitting me so I floored then got silence then it went. Not running it again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I push that button all the time, never noticed a difference. What does it do besides turn on a light?
What it does is gives you harsh shifts, wears out the transmission, makes going uphill difficult, makes passing difficult, and I guess it gives somebody out there (not me) a sense of being ecofriendly.

What it does not do, is give you any improved fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Eco is only effective in consistent low speed, no incline driving. Basically a traffic jam button. Otherwise the above description is pretty spot on.

This in itself wouldn't cause a misfire though. It only affects transmission shift points and idle speed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The only fuel injection service performed has been on my wife’s 2005 Pontiac Vibe with 190,000 miles.
it did seem to make a difference in performance. Vibe averages 30 MPG since new.
I agree that the fuel injector service is all about the money and wouldn’t consider it before 100,000 miles. Maybe a bottle of Techron or equivalent every 15 or 20 thousand miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"decarbinization kit"

Hahahaha

Unless the injectors are physically taken out, those "fuel injector cleaning services" are scams.
Good thing I didn't pay for it, warranty company did. :) Well technically Firestone paid for it because my warranty never authorized it and Firestone did the work anyway. The problem went away after a week though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts