The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My purchased new 2014 T&C touring has a little over 50K miles on it now, and as expected, the tires are quite worn. I am noticing a vibration at highway speeds that I think, hope actually, is due to tire wear. The vibration is there even on newly paved black top. I've had this problem before with other cars with worn tires, so am fairly confident new tires will solve this problem.

One thing I've recently noticed too is when driving in a straight line, the steering wheel is not centered, but is turned clockwise a few degrees. This may have been there, but I only noticed this in the past week or so.

Could this be due to the tire wear too? I don't see uneven wear on the tire treads, and I have rotated them quite often.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When you go to purchase new tires, most if not all places will check your alignment and print out a report. Chances are if your steering wheel is slightly askew, you will need an alignment

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Worn tires may be a symptom of other problems. Maybe not the other way around

·
Super Moderator
21,985 Posts
Having even tire wear is good. That indicates air pressure and alignment are good.

Vibration is due to an imbalance or a damaged tire or rim

The steering wheel may seem off due to the crown in the roadway.

Well used tires are noisier, ride harder, but brake better on dry surfaces They tend to wear longer as well.

·
Registered
900 Posts
These vans tend to ride a bit stiff and you can feel a lot of irregularities in the road even when they look smooth . If the tires are worn , get new tires , have it aligned by a good shop and go from there . Generally you arent going to have ball joint or suspension issues before 100K . But you can never say never . Mention about the off center wheel when they do the alignment .

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for all replies. After I get new tires I will report to this thread any noticeable changes.
Not sure of your location, but up north a good M+S or A/S tire is needed. Not so much down south.

My van had the issues yours does now. About 3 weeks ago, a new set of General RT43's were put on. All of the vehicle harshness went away for the ride. It goes like this ... When tires are new, they are propery balanced. As tires wear, the balance changes, thus the significant vibrations with a really worn set of tires. The van's alignment was all in spec, so all is now good.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,738 Posts
Thanks for all replies. After I get new tires I will report to this thread any noticeable changes.
When installing new tires, make sure the colored dot is aligned to the valve.

If tire has both, red and yellow, the red dot goes to the valve, unless the wheel is also marked by a colored dot.

·
Super Moderator
21,985 Posts

If tire has both, red and yellow, the red dot goes to the valve, unless the wheel is also marked by a colored dot.

The tire shops don't pay any attention to the dot.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Why?
What's the yellow dot for?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know, I have to tell them every time.

Is the point of balance of the tire, it needs to align with the valve, otherwise it will need more weights to get balanced.
That's assuming your wheels are perfect to begin with (not out of round-- unlikely on a used wheel), and conform to expectations.
Without balancing the wheel, all bets are off.

It is important to spin balance the tires on a good machine, weights applied as necessay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Other Zebra causes of vibration, at speed: flat spotted tires, separation of tire tread, worn bearings/cv joints/tie rods/motor mounts, warped rotors, loose suspension bolts.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,738 Posts
That's assuming your wheels are perfect to begin with (not out of round-- unlikely on a used wheel), and conform to expectations.
Without balancing the wheel, all bets are off.

It is important to spin balance the tires on a good machine, weights applied as necessay.
Tires still need to be balanced. Who said not to balance the tires?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts