The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i seem to have a proportioning valve going out on my 03 GC 2wd Sport.
Seems the fronts are doing all the work, and then i can push just a bit more on the brakes, and it kinda pops into another zone, and the brake lite comes on. Rear drums are at or near the replacement measurement, with fresh shoes and proper adjustment, and new wheel cylinders..And i bled them well..fronts are new pads and rotors 4 months ago, and good..brake lite came on last week, found r/r wheel cylinder gone, did the work..now I have an intermittent lite, and more brake dust up front, and the feeling fronts are doing all the work..but was told if it IS the proportioning valve, when it's replaced, you must have a scan tool hooked up when bleeding all 4 wheels, or it won't work right..and I'll be back to where I am now..
Cleared the lite with aa scan tool, and drove it a few days,brake lite still is inconsistently coming on and going off, with the feeling it's changing it's mind about which end of the van is doing all the braking..
Any thoughts??:angry1::confused:

·
fix it if you can
5,076 Posts
Is the '03 Sport equipped with ABS? If so there is no proportioning valve! (only on base/plain brakes)

IF you have 'BASE' Brakes, there is nothing to connect DRB-III to - no ABS controller, no modulator, no electronics (other than fluid level switch @ MC)

Either you and the shop are talking about different things (misunderstanding) or they're giving you BS...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, abs, rear drums...had the fluid level sensor out, a bit tight to get at, but maybe worth swapping out?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i went thru weeks of **** after i had a small hydraulic leak in the rear brakes of my 95 g/c. the master bled near dry on the rear portion only. thought i had a bad master and replaced. 1 week later i had pedal to the floor and brake light. finally found the pinhole leak in the rear line and repaired. 1 week later same problem, pedal on the floor and brake light on dash. the way i solved was to do a bleed with scan tool. only had to be bled on rear, but it was the only way to get all the trapped air out.:cry::cry::Wow1:

Reactions: Tiberius

·
fix it if you can
5,076 Posts
Yes, abs, rear drums...had the fluid level sensor out, a bit tight to get at, but maybe worth swapping out?
since you have ABS, there's no proportioning valve.
Have you tried having the ABS bled via scan tool? it could be just some air in the ABS from the r/r wheel cylinder going out on you..
if you're 100% sure there are no leaks and your brakes are working well you could try to swap the sensor, but it would probably be easier to just get a whole used master cylinder from the wreckers - you'd still need to bleed the ABS modulator if any air got into MC..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts