The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, so I did a test tonight, not becuase I needed to but simply to confirm what I already knew: engine off at 50 mph and a simulated rapid lane change maneuver, typical of swerving to avoid another vehicle or critter. It did not go well and the effect was seriously degraded steering response. And, beat truck, I have not lost strength with age, rather I can squeeze or grip a heck of a lot harder than most 25-35 year old. Two of my sons are regular gym workout attendees and I can still easily squeeze/grip 50% more than they can. It seems that my 55 years of wrestling 250-300# dirtbikes over thousands of miles of mountain trails has not left me weak.
I repeat, do the test for yourself, as I did tonight. Then, tell me your advice is sound.
Over and out!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I guess it all comes down to driver’s skill. I have no intention of shutting off my van at speed and doing some crazy maneuver as I don’t believe its good for the vehicle.

However a few years ago when I was having fuel pump problems with my 1991 caravan – it would stall out on me from time to time for a few weeks ‘till I had the fuel pump replaced. Yeah I would merge out of traffic after a stall (you know in Vancouver you are at risk for road rage if stall you out in the middle of the road) Anyhow – no problems at all retaining control of the van after a stall.

I guess it all comes down to driver’s skill.:)

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
953 Posts
I had the power steering rack on my GTO blow out an end seal and all of the PS fluid about 40 miles from home a while back. I drove it home w/out power assist, and the steering had a little heavier feel everywhere except when not moving, when it was almost impossible to move. At low speeds, say below 15 mph, it was quite difficult, but I managed with just putting some muscle behind it.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,403 Posts
You could always use a different rack. Or the Electric pump out of the Dodge Caravan EPIC, which doesn't have an engine. A bunch of electric steering vehicles are still hydraulic, they just have a pump that's driven on demand by an electric motor, which is definitely the best possible set up.

Chrysler even gives you their blessing in the 4th gen owner's manual, you just got to be at least as tough as the desk jockey engineers, which isn't saying much.
Font Number

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You've seen a 4th gen caravan / t&c with manual steering rack? Because I haven't...
No crap, they don't exist. But..... you didn't specify. In your last post, you made it sound like manual steering in general was impossible due to the clockspring.....
.....and adapting something from a yard would mean loosing the driver's SRS and any steering wheel controls...
And again, how do you figure? The airbag, clockspring, steering wheel controls, etc are all in the column, not the rack. The only problem I could see is if the manual rack required so many turns lock to lock that it physically breaks the ribbon cable in the clockspring, which it pretty unlikely. And even that did happen, if a person is capable of adapting a different rack, they are probably capable of overcoming that issue too.

BTW, it's losing, not loosing. ;)

·
fix it if you can
5,682 Posts
And again, how do you figure? The airbag, clockspring, steering wheel controls, etc are all in the column, not the rack. The only problem I could see is if the manual rack required so many turns lock to lock that it physically breaks the ribbon cable in the clockspring, which it pretty unlikely
Stock van steering limit is ~1.5 revolutions from center, most manual racks go 2.5-3 - no, stock clock spring will not last if you steer >1.5 revs most turns...

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,403 Posts
Stock van steering limit is ~1.5 revolutions from center, most manual racks go 2.5-3 - no, stock clock spring will not last if you steer >1.5 revs most turns...
So swap the spring.

I have a 4th gen lower control arms, ball joints, spindles, brakes, struts, and outer tie rods, with 3rd generation strut mounts, spring isolators, and inner tie rods. Not to mention a 5th gen engine, a 3rd/4th/5th gen conglomerate transmission, and 4th gen rear brakes.

Somehow, swapping the steering rack, or the clockspring, sounds about as easy as brushing my teeth, it definitely isn't rocket science.

·
Super Moderator
29,385 Posts
Don't forget the flossing, that's important. :)
How about a tooth implant? Done any of those lately? :)

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,403 Posts
Don't forget the flossing, that's important. :)
How about a tooth implant? Done any of those lately? :)
No implants, but Jesus I have like 10 plus crowns over root canals.

·
Registered
145 Posts
swap with what? :confused:
you could go full stock car wireless wheel and forget the airbag but cost alone is not worth it...
Forgetting the airbag would be illegal in my jurisdiction.

But like I said in my first post PS delete ...for parking especially parallel parking – it can be a real work out and at my age now – I would fix the power steering pump on my caravan...

Bottom line - it's not that hard or unsafe to drive a car with faulty PS assist. It can be a pain in the A$$ to park it at crawling speed but certainly not dangerous.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,403 Posts
swap with what? :confused:
you could go full stock car wireless wheel and forget the airbag but cost alone is not worth it...
I'm not sure what the point is? It's definitely possible to drive without the power steering pump, Chrysler even says so in the owners manual. Difficult, yes, but possible, and the difficulty decreases as the speed increases. There would be a measurable performance benefit, and an even greater economy benefit, we can debate the numbers but we all know it's measurable. The rack could be changed if you desired, and if you're going to change the rack then there are plenty of clocksprings which could be substituted in without having to modify the OEM steering wheel or SRS module.
If I don't find a 5 speed T-850, at the very least I'm going to put paddle shifters on for my Autostick.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

• Haha
Reactions: Westphal

·
Registered
278 Posts
Forgetting the airbag would be illegal in my jurisdiction.

But like I said in my first post PS delete ...for parking especially parallel parking – it can be a real work out and at my age now – I would fix the power steering pump on my caravan...

Bottom line - it's not that hard or unsafe to drive a car with faulty PS assist. It can be a pain in the A$$ to park it at crawling speed but certainly not dangerous.
Didn't you already state that it would be unsafe to even test steering side to side with the engine off?? And, you would not do the test I suggested was necessary to see for yourself how bad the steering forces become with an inoperative pump? But it's OK to drive with the system fully deactivated? Frankly, I defy anyone to do an evasive maneuver and report back that this is safe. It seems the folks saying it is safe are those who refused to actually try this out for themselves.
Yup..........OK, but you are telling someone to drive without the ability to maneuver as the manufacturer designed the vehicle to do or the regulating authorities approved.
Incredible!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not sure what the point is? It's definitely possible to drive without the power steering pump, Chrysler even says so in the owners manual. Difficult, yes, but possible, and the difficulty decreases as the speed increases. There would be a measurable performance benefit, and an even greater economy benefit, we can debate the numbers but we all know it's measurable. The rack could be changed if you desired, and if you're going to change the rack then there are plenty of clocksprings which could be substituted in without having to modify the OEM steering wheel or SRS module.
If I don't find a 5 speed T-850, at the very least I'm going to put paddle shifters on for my Autostick.

View attachment 67593
I read that as Chrysler saying you can still 'kinda' steer if the system fails, not that it is OK to operate the vehicle as if it was operating. I see they also reference the increased effort

·
fix it if you can
5,682 Posts
I'm not sure what the point is?
Point is, while it's not too difficult to swap to manual rack, SRS and controls are going to be more difficult (unless you know of a direct replacement clock spring that's designed to do 3 revolution o/c wheel rotation)

It is moot, as OP has probably long repaired PS after driving to Florida... (it was your power saving hijack)
My only question for OP is why would PS pump pulley seize if the pump does no work with no fluid in it? AFAIK, the bearings are sealed on these pump so it's not like it's getting lubrication from ATF+4? (or am I wrong?)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Didn't you already state that it would be unsafe to even test steering side to side with the engine off?? And, you would not do the test I suggested was necessary to see for yourself how bad the steering forces become with an inoperative pump? But it's OK to drive with the system fully deactivated? Frankly, I defy anyone to do an evasive maneuver and report back that this is safe. It seems the folks saying it is safe are those who refused to actually try this out for themselves.
Yup..........OK, but you are telling someone to drive without the ability to maneuver as the manufacturer designed the vehicle to do or the regulating authorities approved.
Incredible!
Hair Hand Vertebrate Sharing Organism

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,403 Posts
Point is, while it's not too difficult to swap to manual rack, SRS and controls are going to be more difficult (unless you know of a direct replacement clock spring that's designed to do 3 revolution o/c wheel rotation)

It is moot, as OP has probably long repaired PS after driving to Florida... (it was your power saving hijack)
My only question for OP is why would PS pump pulley seize if the pump does no work with no fluid in it? AFAIK, the bearings are sealed on these pump so it's not like it's getting lubrication from ATF+4? (or
I wrong?)
Well, I still want to automatically disable mine above a relatively low speed, mostly because the steering will be better, and also because of the significant energy savings.

Reactions: atoman
41 - 60 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.