The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I put Pacifica struts on the front, and swapped some larger shackles on the rear.
Next I've got some 30s (225/75r17) from an explorer I'm going to smash the inner fenders for clearance, remove the liners and water proof the PCU.
My question is has anyone put 29s on a stock 4th gen?
received_216605656178838.jpeg

·
3rd gen > all others
2,526 Posts
I have 235/75R15 on 94 Explorer wheels on my van right now. Those tires are very close to a 29" tire, at 28.9". I think my front springs have sagged because it is raked forward, and the passenger side is lower than the driver's side by a good half inch. Because of that, my front right tire hits the fender when hitting a sharp bump or pothole. Too cold now to swap in my Pacifica struts and spacers.

Van looks good! I was hoping to be the first to swap in the Pacifica struts, but I will at least try to document it for others. Do they cause any weird steering quirks or caster issues? Are the springs firmer than the van springs? What year is your van? Looks like you have a shorty van. I am also adding strut spacers to mine when i put them in. I have a pair of short helper leafs for the rear, and then I'll go higher from there if need be with rear spring perch lift blocks and longer bolts.

Are those tires the factory size? I've run 225/60R16's for so long I've forgotten what the regular tire is supposed to look like on the van. I also noticed you use 3rd gen 97-98 T&C wheels. Is your van equipped with disk brakes front and rear? Do they clear the front brakes with new rotors and brand new pads? They probably will if you have front disk/rear drum brakes. My 2000 Limited wheels didn't (on my '04 T&C AWD) so I use 1/4" sandwich spacers and longer studs from a Ford Taurus in Timken hubs that had the stud heads countersunk into the flange (not a typical design). I also have a set of 1998 Ford Explorer Limited wheels for summer, but they stick out farther and hit the front brakes unless I use a 1/2" spacer and special extended shank lug nuts (E-T style) on them, and would have worse fender rubbing issues. The 94 Explorer wheels clear the front brakes without spacers, so that's why I'm running them right now. My rear seat is out and spare wheel stored inside behind 2nd row on floor, so not as much weight in the rear.

I would try to keep the plastic fender liners, as they protect a lot of wiring and electronics from getting damaged from gravel/rocks being thrown from the tires. You can probably reshape them by heating them with a heat gun to stretch and reform the plastic, as they are heat-molded sheets of plastic when they are made. Waterproofing the ECU is still a good idea, as I see those things corroded, rusted and broken. The aluminum case corrodes and breaks around the mounting screws, and the steel cover rusts away. Clean and coat the case with something, and apply antiseize to the mounting screws where they are inside the case.

My plans are my forementioned suspension lift, vent visors (like you have), LED headlights, a hood deflector, an old police-style push bar on front bumper, auxiliary lights, maybe a 3rd gen brake master cylinder, a supra driver's seat, rear mud flaps, swap transfer gears in transmission to the 3.3L ones, a thrush turbo muffler, and maybe some fender flares. I also have to swap the engine, and will be swapping in 2001 electronics to match (and to add autostick). Maybe more stuff as I find it. Going for the off-road adventure van look, since the Chrysler vans are underappreciated in this area.

Driving should still be okay, as wheelchair vans are lifted with strut spacers too and they are on the highways. Camber has to be adjusted to compensate for the lift. The front axles might wear the CV's a little faster, not sure. At first they will be riding in a new area than they were, so will probably be tight for a while. I did keep the front axles from my parts van for spares just in case (rear ones, too). Heck, those rear-entry handicapped vans are probably worse to drive at speed with that rake and that caster change, and they are all over!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts