The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to upgrade my headlights. I had cleaned my headlights about two years ago, but they were starting to haze again and one looked like it had a caustic chemical spilled on it. Even with them perfectly cleaned and aimed to spec, they don't offer an adequate amount of illumination in my opinion. So today I purchased some quad beam headlights from a 2000 T&C.

The driver side had some water damage which removed the reflective coating from the trim inside. I could try to paint it silver again, but I think it would also be cool to paint it white to match the vehicle. As of this moment I think I am going to leave it with only the black housing and functional pieces.

I am also waiting on some LEDs in the mail. Since the T&C has turn signals in the bumper, I have to fabricate something to have them on my GV. I opted for 3 amber colored 10w LEDs per headlight, they will be roughly the same wattage as the stock turn signal and can operate off of 9-12volts, which is exactly what a voltage regulator from the battery will produce. I can dim them to operate the parking lamp. The only issue I think I will have is that the LEDs will have over twice the luminosity of the headlights themselves, so I need to devise some sort of diffuser to keep from blinding people.
I got the pigtails from the T&C for the headlights. I don't know where in the wiring harness the lighting system decides to shut the low beams off when the highbeams are on, so I think I will just add a seperate relay to power the lows whenever 12v is applied to the highbeams. If I have time I will add some DRL LEDs, but I don't like LED strips so building a DRL will require a fancy looking circuit board and reflector.
I also plan on testing some HIR1 bulbs in it. They only make them in 9005 and 9006 equivalents, and they are supposed to put out twice the lumens with the exact beam pattern.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my front end as of now.

Comparison of lights-

One headlight cleaned, I left the trim out because of the water damage to its finish.

And here is what I used to clean the lens, disassembly isn't necessary. I used in sequence, 180 grit, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, rubbing compound, polishing compound and wax.

·
Registered
58 Posts
what year did the T&C go to the quad lights ? what bulbs do the sockets take ? and lastly, what leds are you going to use for turn signal/parking lamps ? could the parking lamp assemblies from the original light assemblies be modified to fit ? this sounds like something i possibly want to try.
:beerchug:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hope you used the clear UV protectant spray paint to do the final coat over the plastic lens. It is the trick to keeping them clear and filling the gaps in the plastic lens.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what year did the T&C go to the quad lights ? what bulbs do the sockets take ? and lastly, what leds are you going to use for turn signal/parking lamps ? could the parking lamp assemblies from the original light assemblies be modified to fit ? this sounds like something i possibly want to try.
The 98-2000 T&C had the quad beams. They use two 9005 bulbs per headlight, instead of a single H4(?) bulb on all other models. The high beam is a projector, and the low beam stays on while the highs are on. So the major advantage is with high beams.
The OEM turn signals won't fit without modification to the housing, it would require some serious fabrication, so LEDs are easier.
I also found out I need to cut the sheet metal behind the headlight, the quad light will not fit into my 97 as the projector hits the side of the hole and there is no access to the low beam socket.
I'm going to try using amber colored 10w SMD LEDs for the turns. They will need a heatsink and a voltage regulator isn't a bad idea. 3 per side will equal the oem turn signal wattage, so my blinkers don't flash too quickly. But the LED turns will be double or triple the light output of the headlights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
More light as long as not blinding is always good in my book.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 98-2000 T&C had the quad beams. They use two 9005 bulbs per headlight, instead of a single H4(?) bulb on all other models. The high beam is a projector, and the low beam stays on while the highs are on. So the major advantage is with high beams.
The OEM turn signals won't fit without modification to the housing, it would require some serious fabrication, so LEDs are easier.
I also found out I need to cut the sheet metal behind the headlight, the quad light will not fit into my 97 as the projector hits the side of the hole and there is no access to the low beam socket.
I'm going to try using amber colored 10w SMD LEDs for the turns. They will need a heatsink and a voltage regulator isn't a bad idea. 3 per side will equal the oem turn signal wattage, so my blinkers don't flash too quickly. But the LED turns will be double or triple the light output of the headlights.
could you show the wiring diagrams you plan to use ? also, are you adding separate relays in addition to the factory ones ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a 98 DGC with the single headlights (two total). I cleaned and polished the lenses and installed the brightest available bulbs in them and was VERY pleased with the results. After that van died, I bought a 98 Chrysler TC with the dual headlights (4 total). I cleaned and polished the lenses and installed the brightest bulbs available in them and they still SUCK! I have adjusted them several times, but they don't get the light saturation that is needed for me. I like the high-beam for the focus right in front, but that doesn't get me enough on the outside to see if there are deer or other things on the shoulder of the road.

I could solve the problem with some KC Dayliters, but I think the van will look a bit odd with the big bug-eyes on the front....... I guess I could do an HID kit, but that's more than the van is worth.

I liked the headlights on the DGC better.

·
Latent car nut
9,338 Posts
I had a 98 DGC with the single headlights (two total). I cleaned and polished the lenses and installed the brightest available bulbs in them and was VERY pleased with the results. After that van died, I bought a 98 Chrysler TC with the dual headlights (4 total). I cleaned and polished the lenses and installed the brightest bulbs available in them and they still SUCK! I have adjusted them several times, but they don't get the light saturation that is needed for me. I like the high-beam for the focus right in front, but that doesn't get me enough on the outside to see if there are deer or other things on the shoulder of the road.

I could solve the problem with some KC Dayliters, but I think the van will look a bit odd with the big bug-eyes on the front....... I guess I could do an HID kit, but that's more than the van is worth.

I liked the headlights on the DGC better.
Interesting, I've had the opposite reaction; I hated the lights on my 1998 DGC Sport, and while I'm having a difficult time finding a whole lot of love for the lights on my 1999 T&C Limited, they are noticeably better than the DGC's lights.

With the above said, I'll be ordering a set of these in the next few weeks:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting, I've had the opposite reaction; I hated the lights on my 1998 DGC Sport, and while I'm having a difficult time finding a whole lot of love for the lights on my 1999 T&C Limited, they are noticeably better than the DGC's lights.

With the above said, I'll be ordering a set of these in the next few weeks:

Those aftermarket lights look pretty cool!

I've been getting tired of working on my van. Then I went and priced a new-used one. I can throw a LOT of money at this one and still have one I like. We carry a power wheelchair on the back a lot and the new vans can only carry 350 Lb tongue weight on the rear. Our TC has the Nivomat rear suspension and it can all hols the 500 LB rating. (The WC is 385 LB and the lift is about 100, so it's at the limit)

Maybe I'll cough up more to make the headlights nicer in my quest to improve the overall van.

·
Voted most useless member
1,910 Posts
Let me show you just how long your SPIDER lenses will last. About 8 months before they start spider cracking...

let me tell you how long the LED's will last without flickering.. (9 months)

Let me tell you how long the stock light pigtail will last before it starts to crumble.. 1.2 years.

And the best part is? If the LED HALO goes out.. You are going to have to disassemble the light in order to get to it.. That means an oven.

Mine also were not sealed right from the factory. The housing is actully not assembled / glued together right.

The light output is JUST marginally better with Halogens. compared to a new quad lenses.

Here is a pretty good idea of what you will find inside. And Why I was like. WHAT THE @#$#@" When I saw just how DIMM the Halo units are. (and not just in light output. )

They make some NEW LED HALO units that are actully better then the CCFL style and are multi color. But I prefer the look of the Cold cathode and they are VERY bright and replacement CCFL ballasts are cheap. (in more ways then one)

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to modify the wiring harness as little as possible, so I'm using a microcontroller to operate the headlight assembly. I'll run the turn signal power off the stock wiring, but have a 9v voltage regulator in series to bring the brightness down of the 3x 10watt LEDs and protect them from overvoltage. The LDO will dissipate the extra power as heat so the circuit always draws 30watts. The turn signal will also have an NPN mosfet in series to allow addition dimming if required.
The Headlights will be permanently connected to 12v battery, and switched on via a mosfet on the low side. The oem headlight signal will go through a voltage divider into the microcontroller to tell it when to turn on the high and low beams.

Microcontroller is powered by a 5v LDO connected to 12v ignition.

Daytime Running Lights are always connected to 12v from the battery. They are switched on via a mosfet connected to the microcontroller.

All the lights will be dimmable, the microcontroller can be reprogrammed via usb if needed, if I ever add an onboard computer they can be controlled in real time via serial communication.

Reactions: imickey503

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up going a simpler route, and just decided to make everything plug into the stock wiring harness.

Here's the core support go the non-quadbeam vans.

And the butchering necessary to fit the quads, The processor housing hits the side of the hole in the core support and a piece of the adjustment gearbox hits in the corner of that hole.

The tab that inserts into the fender needs filed down.

Old versus almost finished new.

comparison of back, quad on top.

Added some yellow LEDs inside the highbeams projector.

Just waiting on some electroluminescent wire from China and I need to fabricate heatsink for the 10w led chips that comprise the turn signals.

·
Registered
58 Posts
very nice !:thumb: i think more and more about doing that swap to my caravan. the 98 t&c of my brothers i'm parting out didn't have quad lights. were they an option ?

·
Latent car nut
9,338 Posts
very nice !:thumb: i think more and more about doing that swap to my caravan. the 98 t&c of my brothers i'm parting out didn't have quad lights. were they an option ?
The quad lights were the exclusive domain of the Chrysler T&C; I think they became available in either 1998 or 1999 and ended with the 2000 model year.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the 98-2000 T&C had them as an option. It should have the bumper with large turn signals/side markers under the headlight.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Had bad hazy lens as shown in your pictures...used "wipe new"...literally wipe on wipe off no hassle of the polishing grit etc, before wipe new mine were as bad as yours here is pic after wipe new...looks like didn't save the pic sorry...lost pic

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Yes, the 98-2000 T&C had them as an option. It should have the bumper with large turn signals/side markers under the headlight.
It was standard.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The tab that inserts into the fender needs filed down.
On that matter, I too found the same difference in the shape of the hole in the fender when I swapped fenders. I had a 98 grand Voyager LE and the fender I put on was from a Caravan or Grand Caravan(model year not noted) at the wrecker's. So I believe the model year difference was the reason for the difference in the headlight tab and the corresponding hole. Not the quad headlights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.