The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I have a 2011 caravan crew. Just bought it at 26,000 miles from the dealer. I've noticed whenever it gets a cold start it has a somewhat rough idle, nothing too nasty but its definitely noticeable. When it starts from cold the rpms shoot up to about 1500 and slowly drop down back to 600 or so. Its about the 1100-1400 range where the rough idle is there. It only has this behavior while still in park with the cold start. Never does it in reverse or drive. Has anyone else experienced this or found a fix? What could it be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
My 2011 has done that since new. It is worst on cold days. The other day I started it up and it was shaking so bad I thought it was misfiring, but it never threw a code, and as soon as I put it in drive, it smoothed out. Not really sure why it does it but seems to be normal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 2011 T&C has also done that since new. I usually wait for the rpm's to settle to around 500 before putting it in drive, takes around 10-15 seconds or so. Hasn't been as bad during the warm summer, but it does really shake during the cold winters up here in northern NY.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone ever been to the dealer to have the issue looked at? I want to take mine in but im sure it will end with "its not throwing us any codes so its running normal" and obviously a shaking van is not normal!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2012 GC R/T has also done it since day one. I haven't taken it to the dealer because once it's warmed up it runs so damn good I don't want them to change anything. I have been wondering if it's normal, sounds like it is. Good to know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2012 TnC Touring L, had this happen for the first time yesterday since it got down in the 40's overnight here in Alabama. Gone as soon as it was put in drive. Guess it is normal from all the responses.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would really like to know why they haven't issued a recall on a problem like this. Seems like its happening to everyone! Pretty embarrassing when someone gets into your brand new van and the the whole thing shakes!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems to be less intense, maybe even eliminated if the vents/hvac system are completely turned off when you start it up. Of course, its ridiculous that you should have to remind yourself to always turn off the vents before restarting it. You guys should try this and let me know your results!

·
Registered
229 Posts
My 2011 with 50,000 miles has always been smooth as silk when starting. Had it a year and it has seen near zero temps last winter and was also smooth at start up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have owned a 12' T&C for a little over 5 weeks now and have noticed that the van seems to shutter at start up/idle and also when I'm stopped at a stop light waiting for a green light. We only have about 800 miles on the van, however, it's pretty much done this from day one. From the other dozen or so posts, this may be normal and something I just have to get used to.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i guess it depends on how bad it is...but i'm laughing to myself here. how many of you ever drove a carbureted vehicle? even the ones with electronic chokes would stutter and idle rough when cold. this isn't anything new. engines need to warm up to run properly. i suppose everyone has just gotten accustomed to fuel injected vehicles that do a better job at masking the cold start issues, but in the end, any engine is going to have idle issues with a cold start.

that being said, i don't think it should shake and rattle the whole vehicle. try this next time you go to cold start the motor - after starting, wait about 1 minute before trying to drive it. this should allow the motor to warm up, and prevent any low idle issues such as excessive engine stutter and vibration.

however, if you feel the stutter is excessive, i wouldn't hesitate to ask the dealer next time you're in. it may be a vacuum leak somewhere, or could be related to the intake in some manner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I could see it shuttering when it's 10 degrees outside, but when it's 80+ degrees and its doing it, that's unusual to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer told me this is likely cause of a defective pcv valve which is a pretty common problem on these vans. They ordered me a new one and it's being replaced on Tuesday. However, im still not confident this will get me my fix. Only time will tell.. I will post an update later im the week!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had the pcv valve and hose replaced. Still get the rough idle I cold start. Guess I shouldn't be surprised it didn't help the problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I know our 2012 will be a little shaky right after first starting, but nothing too bad, and nothing that makes you feel like something is wrong. Just a little engine shudder like when you start up a lawn mower with the choke on. It only lasts for a few secs, then starts to smooth out and idle down at the same time. I'd say if you're seeing anything worse than that on a modern FI engine, there might be other underlying issues, like vacuum leak or gasket leaking. Most FI engines can adjust for cold starts by running richer automagically, while maintaining a slightly higher idle speed. I guess looking back at my previous comment, I just wanted to clarify those points. You shouldn't have a rough and tumble cold start for more than a few seconds, and if you do, you may have other issues going on.

One question for those of you that do have the rough start, and maybe you already answered this but I missed it, how long does the rough condition last? Does it go away for good after you've warmed the engine up and driven a while?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mine last just a few seconds then gone...only other thing that irritates me with my 2011 is my engine makes a constant ticking sound. Quiet enough that you can't hear it when the hood is closed and my dealer assures me it's normal and nothing to be concerned about and its not an engine knock. I have another 60k worth of warranty so if it is a problem they will be footing the bill!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts