The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My question is if you do any customization or add/change features to your van with the use of AlphaOBD or similar, do those changes get wiped if you do a firmware/software update to the module(s) with customizations? Also which modules are the ones where usually customization is being done? For example having low beams automatically turned on when the car is running or adding headlight washers later on? BCM or TIPM or both or something else?

Thanks.

· Registered
680 Posts
all modifications are wiped if a deaer start the routine "Restore vehicle configuration"

But dont worry. Start alfaobd, choose your model and next "body computer", start active diagnostic and choose the routine "backup vehicle configuration to file". You will get a txt-File with the actuell settings in the TIPM. You can restore all settings with this file at a later time

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all modifications are wiped if a deaer start the routine "Restore vehicle configuration"

But dont worry. Start alfaobd, choose your model and next "body computer", start active diagnostic and choose the routine "backup vehicle configuration to file". You will get a txt-File with the actuell settings in the TIPM. You can restore all settings with this file at a later time
In which cases does the dealer start the restore vehicle configuration? Or can losing the settings be avoided by avoiding updating some specific modules?
The problem is that I haven’t made any modifications myself. I don’t have the hardware nor software to do that but I know that few modifications have been done (automatic low beams, changes to headlight switch’s behavior regarding rear fog light and maybe something else that I haven’t noticed).

· Registered
410 Posts
You have found the gotca when it comes to software/firmware updates. The 'restore vehicle configuration' is from the chrysler/fca vehicle database which is only updated by dealers. Kind of su**s, but it is their policy. You will likely need to add back in any changes you have made.

I took this into consideration when I added remote start, had a dealer add the remote start sales code to my VIN so I would not lose remote start if the dealer updated any software/firmware in any of the computer modules. Yes it cost me an hour of labor/diagnostic fee.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,383 Posts
In which cases does the dealer start the restore vehicle configuration? Or can losing the settings be avoided by avoiding updating some specific modules?
The problem is that I haven’t made any modifications myself. I don’t have the hardware nor software to do that but I know that few modifications have been done (automatic low beams, changes to headlight switch’s behavior regarding rear fog light and maybe something else that I haven’t noticed).
Doing as steffen said will work even if you do not know what all changes have been done.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,383 Posts
You would need to get it. There's no internal way to back those settings up. Everything will revert to its original factory settings when the module is updated.

· Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT
68 Posts
I am new to the new “computer vehicle” way of life, I just purchased a 2019 GT. What hardware or software would be needed to do the types of things being talked about in this thread?

I do have a laptop computer with a program to get the codes off of my 97 Cherokee.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am new to the new “computer vehicle” way of life, I just purchased a 2019 GT. What hardware or software would be needed to do the types of things being talked about in this thread?

I do have a laptop computer with a program to get the codes off of my 97 Cherokee.

Eric

A quality wired or wireless OBD device (like OBDLink MX or similar) and software (AlfaOBD or Appcar DiagFCA).

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would need to get it. There's no internal way to back those settings up. Everything will revert to its original factory settings when the module is updated.
I think I’m going to skip the PCM update then just in case.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,383 Posts

Eric

As @AeroZ said, you need a bidirectional OBD adapter (recommended ones listed on the sites for software) and the program - which you only have 2 choices of that I'm aware of. I posted a thread a while back trying to figure out the better one before finally settling on AlfaOBD with an OBDlink MX+.

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't decide if I should buy the OBDLink MX+ and AlfaOBD or not. It's a big investment and I'm not sure if I'd get the money's worth out of them. I currently have a Carista adapter + OBD Fusion with enhanced diagnostics package for my car. Programming capability is good of course but how much would one use it on a single car.

· Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts
I can't decide if I should buy the OBDLink MX+ and AlfaOBD or not. It's a big investment and I'm not sure if I'd get the money's worth out of them. I currently have a Carista adapter + OBD Fusion with enhanced diagnostics package for my car. Programming capability is good of course but how much would one use it on a single car.
One benefit of the OBDLink MX+ is the enhanced diagnostic are free with the OBDLink app (which is identical to OBD Fusion), and that is nice if you work on different vehicles.

· Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One benefit of the OBDLink MX+ is the enhanced diagnostic are free with the OBDLink app (which is identical to OBD Fusion), and that is nice if you work on different vehicles.
Yup, that is nice but having only one car doesn’t take advantage of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts