The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Town n Country radiator fan not operating properly out on the road everything is okay until you get in city traffic or drive slow and then it heats up I added up to 240 one time before I noticed it

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
Check coolant level. Air in the system makes it harder to cool down at idle.

If that's good it could be the fan, fan resistor, or fuse. Let it idle until the needle goes halfway and the fan should kick on. Once it goes higher it should run faster.

If that seems to be fine, being it's a 2011 it may have the defective head that has been recalled. You may see a constant bubbling in the coolant or have a misfire if that's the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant level is good when I turn on AC with engine idling radiator fan does not come on till maybe 30 seconds to a minute later and only runs for two seconds comes on again for 2 seconds maybe 30 seconds later when temperature is above 220 I would think fans should be running constantly but it doesn't only way I have found you cool it down is to get out on road at speed

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
According to the manual they shouldn't come on until 220 F and hit max speed at 230 F.

RADIATOR FAN OPERATION CHART
COOLANT TEMPERATUREA/C PRESSURETRANSAXLE OIL TEMPERATURE
Fan Operation Speeds:​
Initial​
Max​
Initial​
Max​
Initial​
Max​
Fan On:​
104°C (220°F)​
110°C (230°F) Fan Speed Duty-Cycles (Ramps-up) from 30% to 99%​
1,724 Kpa (250 psi)​
2,068 Kpa (300 psi) Fan Speed Duty-Cycles (Ramps-up) from 30% to 99%​
96°C (204°F)​
111°C (232°F) Fan Speed Duty Cycles (Ramps-up) from 30% to 99%​
Fan Off:​
101°C (214°F)​
Fan Speed Duty-Cycles (Ramps-down) from 99% to 30%​
1,710 Kpa (248 psi)​
Fan Speed Duty-Cycles (Ramps-down) from 99% to 30%​
89°C (192°F)​
Fan Speed Duty Cycles (Ramps-down) from 99% to 30%​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that's awful hot to my notion I've never had a vehicle that ran over 180 to 200 degrees before under normal circumstances even diesel engines fans come on around 200 degrees we'll just have to see what happens this summer when it gets up to 240 again if fans aren't running there is something wrong right anyway thanks for the info

·
Registered
566 Posts
How long have you owned this van? Did this problem begin all of a sudden ? How many miles on the van? Has the coolant been changed recently ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I bought the van in 2018 it had 68,000 miles it now has 84,000 miles and no I haven't changed the coolant it still looks like new and is red in color
Never really noticed anything till one warm summer day in 19 we were driving around looking at new houses and that's when I first noticed it getting up to 240 I stopped and got out to look to see if fans were running they weren't so I got it out oon the highway and it cool down driving on the highway but fans did not runI

·
Registered
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
45 Posts
Having a similar issue with my 2008 T&C 4.0L. Engine warms up and fans will come on for 3 seconds or so then shut off.

Running the front defroster on full / hi temp is the only way to keep the engine at normal operating temp. Full AC does not kick the fans on.

Coolant level and fuse fine, no problems on the highway. Just idling / in traffic does it have issues because fan does not stay running.

Replaced fan / resistor / connector last Fall as I thought that might’ve been the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.