The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town and Country
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2014 Town and Country with a 430 RBZ radio. The other day I had my phone charging on the radios USB port. When I disconnected the phone my husband heard a pop and then the radio completely shut down. I checked the fuse under the hood and it was fine but I replaced it anyway. It still isn’t work. Any idea what the problem could be? I’m pretty handing so I have removed the radio from the van.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
RIP radio. That port is not for charging, only memory sticks. Unless you know a good electronics repair guy, you need a new radio.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
698 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2014 Town and Country with a 430 RBZ radio. The other day I had my phone charging on the radios USB port. When I disconnected the phone my husband heard a pop and then the radio completely shut down. I checked the fuse under the hood and it was fine but I replaced it anyway. It still isn’t work. Any idea what the problem could be? I’m pretty handing so I have removed the radio from the van.
Radio is not a phone charger .no no no

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
I'm not 100% certain, but what's happening is the power circuit of the USB is overloaded and when the load is disconnected it suddenly discharges back to ground. Like a hammer striking a nail and suddenly the nail is gone and you have a hole in the wall. :p

Reactions: Michalb and Pgh_AL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RIP radio. That port is not for charging, only memory sticks. Unless you know a good electronics repair guy, you need a new radio.

Do you happened to know if I can upgrade my current radio 430 RBZ to a 430N?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,435 Posts
Yes, you can. I think it should be a drop in replacement.

Reactions: AmberC3709

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've connected my phone to the USB port to transfer MP3s before. Can't remember if it attempted to charge at all, but I had no issues unplugging. It was connected for a while.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,222 Posts
The old radio was pretty easy to remove just a few plugs. I’m hoping the radio with navigation will work. Thanks for your help.
Check your Private messages Plz.

Also, the NAV radio (should you get it) will need a NAV antenna. On older vehicles it's the nav plug and it sits just aft under the main dash. As long as it's right side up should be just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the uConnect system with satellite radio. Will I still need anything else?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,222 Posts
I have the uConnect system with satellite radio. Will I still need anything else?
Just the antenna for the NAV if the radio you buy has the NAV. You can buy an aftermarket antenna that sticks to the air vent under the dash, or you can find a factory one that screws into the dash.

·
Registered
2014 grand caravan
19 Posts
I made the change on my 2014 GC for the 430 N. I did not need anything just plug and play, no need to add anything for the navigation. If you buy from a junkyard you might need a code so radio can be recognized, cost me 20 $ online or sometimes dealer do it for free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts