The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am new user and speak a little beat english (quebec canada). I would like to know if it is possible to install a radio dodge caravan 2008 in a caravan 2005? I do not know where connect the 2 wires bus + and bus-? is it possible ?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
the physical shape is different.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
that's data and it doesn't exist in the older van. It handles steering wheel controls and the retained accessory power(what makes the radio work after you turn the ignition off, until you open the door). You may get away without connecting them at all.
But why do you want this radio in that van? Aftermarket would be so much easier and would have better sound.

·
fix it if you can
5,599 Posts
Gen 4 vans used PCI bus (VPW?), Gen 5 vans use CAN bus.
Even if you physically install the radio, it'll never communicate with the vehicle via different & incompatible communication bus.
If you can power the '08 radio on the bench, you might be able to rig it up to work as simple receiver in the van, non of the other functionality will work (amp control, remote controls, etc)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Is it that your 4th gen radio is broken?
For just over a C note you can have a proper aftermarket radio that will work perfectly without the need for complicated workarounds and serious(permanently disfiguring) dash hacking. You would need a dash kit with wiring adaptor and that's it. I think Crutchfield gives you that stuff free. If you buy a unit that is steering wheel controls compatible, then you will also need a module for that, and Crutchfield I think cuts the price in half when combined with a radio. But you don't need that if you don't care about the steering wheel controls, or if your van doesn't have them.
Trying to get a free 08 radio to fit and work in a 4th gen would cost you more than all that and be a real headache to achieve.
To go really on the cheap, you can buy a 4th gen radio at the wrecker. It'll be plug and play. No extra parts, no headache.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.