The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up a 2010 Town & Country Touring with the basic radio (AM/FM/SAT/CD). We have had it a few weeks and the radio seemed to be working fine. Today on the way into work, it suddenly went quiet even though the display was showing the station was still playing. Turned the volume up and nothing. Switched to FM and tried different channels . . .same thing, got the display showing the stations but no sound.

Switched to SAT and while it was only the teaser to get you to subscribe, that worked like a champ.

Fast forward to the ride home . . . radio did the same thing until I got about half way home and then it started playing fine. Heading our after dinner, the radio was not working but the SAT station worked fine.

Anyone have an experience with this "haunted" radio issue or suggestions on what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
312 Posts
Sounds like bad solder connections with the radio tuner chip on the circuit board, like shown and described in these videos:

You could try disassembling your radio to press on that chip to see if it's the culprit for you. Definitely a repair you could try if you have the right equipment and skills to repair the chip solder connections. Otherwise, a self-serve salvage yard with junked vans is a great option for a cheap replacement OEM radio (might even get lucky and find a MyGIG/Uconnect touch screen radio for cheap, like me)... make sure to stick with one out of a 2008-2010 5th gen van to ensure compatibility.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The antenna wire that goes to the rear of your radio hits defroster duct work causing solder joint to break on circuit board. Later models used a 90 degree antenna lead end to keep it away from duct work

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response . . . . great information. I see radions on E-bay and elsewhere with some saying "deler unlocvk may be required" . . . if you order one of them, is it a simple plug and play or is an unlock usually required?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the quick response . . . . great information. I see radions on E-bay and elsewhere with some saying "deler unlocvk may be required" . . . if you order one of them, is it a simple plug and play or is an unlock usually required?
2008-2010 OEM radios would simply be plug and play, with no additional steps beyond physical installation.

2012+ radios with "ANTI-THEFT" marked on them will require an anti-theft unlock PIN if installed into another vehicle (for the touch screen radios as far as I know, but I have seen ANTI-THEFT marked standard radios); if I recall correctly, dealers should be able to retrieve the PIN with the radio serial number and the VIN of the vehicle it was originally installed in. However, I've read that apparently the 2011+ vans use a new bus system for the radio which is not compatible with prior model years.

I'd recommend a radio from a 2008-2010 van to ensure full compatibility if you're looking for an OEM replacement. If you find a radio which came out of another model of vehicle, be sure it is a "high speed" CANBUS radio ("low speed" CANBUS radios will not work); the Dodge Journey, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Liberty, and Jeep Wrangler were the other vehicles for the same model years which also use a "high speed" CANBUS radio.

Reactions: User6573

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2007..T&C problem ..when I turn the car on..it works fine but after a few Minutes ..it shuts off. Not sure if its the radio or just a connection...can someone advise..really do not want to take it to the dealer (175.00/hr)....And a 2007 radio..are they hard to change out..got some skills ..but Please advise

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a 2007..T&C problem ..when I turn the car on..it works fine but after a few Minutes ..it shuts off. Not sure if its the radio or just a connection...can someone advise..really do not want to take it to the dealer (175.00/hr)....And a 2007 radio..are they hard to change out..got some skills ..but Please advise
The 2007 T&C is a 4th gen van (this is a 5th gen thread for 2008-2020), but the 4th gen OEM radio can easily be removed as shown in the first 4 minutes this video:

If your current radio is indeed faulty, your two best options are to replace it with either a working 4th gen van OEM radio from a junkyard or with an aftermarket single DIN radio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just picked up a 2010 Town & Country Touring with the basic radio (AM/FM/SAT/CD). We have had it a few weeks and the radio seemed to be working fine. Today on the way into work, it suddenly went quiet even though the display was showing the station was still playing. Turned the volume up and nothing. Switched to FM and tried different channels . . .same thing, got the display showing the stations but no sound.

Switched to SAT and while it was only the teaser to get you to subscribe, that worked like a champ.

Fast forward to the ride home . . . radio did the same thing until I got about half way home and then it started playing fine. Heading our after dinner, the radio was not working but the SAT station worked fine.

Anyone have an experience with this "haunted" radio issue or suggestions on what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance
Pay sat

·
Registered
284 Posts
My opinion only, I had siriusxm but quickly got annoyed by the 24-hour play loop. Since my commute was at the same time each day it quickly became apparent. The stations I was listening to seemed to have heavy rotation of a small set of artists so I was hearing the same artists multiple times a day. With all of the music catalogues available it was disappointing to continue to hear the same stuff.

Bottom line, it was not worth even the 3-month free trial let alone paying $7 am month (pity the phoull that pays $25 a month).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, mine did that also. Seems to be a common failure mode. Some people have fixed it by resoldering some connections on the board inside, there are many article written on that. It starts out as just the AM/FM, SAT still will work and CD's (AUX). Eventually even those stop working. I had mine "rebuilt" by a guy that advertises fixing these on E-Bay for $150, got it back the same week and it has been working like a champ for over a year now.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks in advance
I DO!!!!!! was told it could be the external amp..no idea where that is ..Any help..from anyone...Please

1 - 14 of 14 Posts