The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have an 02 with a radio cassette cd unit model number P560338555AM. I seem to be having a problem with the radio causing excess parasytic drain. I'm disinclined to replace with new since this is an occasional use vehicle and so am looking for a second hand unit. Is there a list anywhere of cross compatible units or do the model numbers generally follow a pattern of "looks the same = compatible"?

Thanks in advance

Ian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ian,

As long as it mounts the same and matches your factory plugs, the Mopar radios are mostly compatible. Your 2002 might have two 7-pin plugs or the newer 22-pin and 10-pin plugs. Once you determine what you need, you'll find eBay is full of both new and second-hand Mopar stereos for very reasonable prices.

Tim

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Look on the front bezel and you'll see a small three letter code, usually starting with R. That code can help getting a matching unit, but as Capt W says, the units are mostly interchangeable if you don't have the separate CD changer or DVD system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I went through this with my 2001 TC. They switched radio/connector styles mid year 2002, so the best bet is probably to pull the radio and take a look at the connector.

If your current radio has the dual 7-pin plugs (used up until mid 2002) and you want to use the newer (late 2002 or newer) radio, you'll need a harness adapter like this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GEZAMAM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This page has some very good info:
http://replacementradios.com/chrysler-wiring-adapter-2002-radio-to-1998-2002-vehicle-rs-crwa-a21-0086-p-57.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know what the junkyards are like in the UK but the local You-Pull It yard here has lots of these vans. You bring your own tools, pull any part you want and buy it for almost nothing. I pulled a radio/CD for my 05 for $12.00 and it works perfectly. I had a few vans to choose from.

The radio comes out very easily with a screwdriver. Take a pic of the plug just to be sure if you're going to hunt for it yourself.

There are also salvage yards that disassemble and stock the parts. It'll be a little more but still cheap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the junkyards are like in the UK but the local You-Pull It yard here has lots of these vans. You bring your own tools, pull any part you want and buy it for almost nothing. I pulled a radio/CD for my 05 for $12.00 and it works perfectly. I had a few vans to choose from.

The radio comes out very easily with a screwdriver. Take a pic of the plug just to be sure if you're going to hunt for it yourself.

There are also salvage yards that disassemble and stock the parts. It'll be a little more but still cheap.
Thanks Derrick. You take me back now to the good old days. I'm not sure any of those "you pull it" yards are left back in the UK. It's all stripped down by the shop's guys and on the shelf. I'm in Spain anyhow so I will most likely try ebay UK and ship it here. Have it out so I see the connector type.

Thanks again guys and Merry Xmas.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks Derrick. You take me back now to the good old days. I'm not sure any of those "you pull it" yards are left back in the UK. It's all stripped down by the shop's guys and on the shelf. I'm in Spain anyhow so I will most likely try ebay UK and ship it here. Have it out so I see the connector type.

Thanks again guys and Merry Xmas.
Yeah, they do that here too but mostly with newer cars or those with valuable parts. These vans are so cheap and plentiful that they mostly end up in the U-Pick It section still complete. I've been picking off a fully loaded van (heated leather, stow & go, self leveling rear etc...) that looked like it should be sitting in someones driveway. Must have had a broken motor or tranny.

Good luck with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts