The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Radio upgrade

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  tooncarr 
#1 ·
I just purchased an 08 town and country, it has the stock cd am fm radio, i purchased a overhead console with lcd daul screens with a remote and headphones, along with the lower dvd player that goes in dash just above cup holders. I pull the dash apart and found no place to plug in the dvd player. So i pulled the radio out and it looks like there are no plugs or wires that would go from there to it. My question is, how do i get the dvd player to work with overhead screens and radio? Chrysler used to use one wiring harness for all vans, there,would be extra plugs to install or add options later. Did they start using completely different wiring harnesses in each model vans? Please tell me i don't need a completely different dash and ceiling harness. If so, i do have access to the donor van the console and dvd player came out of, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, William

#2 ·
I believe they did start to use different harnesses. There is one member who has an 08 or 09 base van and has thoroughly been through it, adding all of the options. #Michalb, is the man to ask who will have the answers. He added the dual monitors to his van, and would know all the differences.

Edit: Well lo and behold, look who was answering while I was referring him LOL.

Reactions: Michalb
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

The VES system including dvd player and the BT module uses a separate harness piece in the dash, the plugs for that extension harness piece are present just above the steering wheel shaft, visible if you look from the driver footwell up, you should see 2 connectors plugged into each other like this;
Motor vehicle Hood Electrical wiring Steering wheel Gas

Notice one of the connectors has a red wire, the other doesn't. The dash extension harness piece for the entertainment system will have 2 identical connectors to the ones you see in your footwell, one with 3 wires, and one with 2. Unplug yours and plug in the connector with red wire to the other connector with red wire, then the other 2 together. The dash harness for the entertainment system will run behind the air ducts, including being clipped to them. The roof harness for the VES system will plug into the dash extension harness at the passenger A-pillar base.

The dash harness piece has several versions which can include; single screen, BT with bt module, BT without bt module, and dual screens which always included the dvd player.
The roof harness can have single screen, dual screen, sunroof or non sunroof.
For the BT, vans with navigation (radio code RER) will have the BT without the module, REN or RES radios will have the BT module, if equipped with BT. The module sits just behind the headlight switch and slightly down, also visible from the driver footwell. Find the harness version you need/want.

Lastly, programming is necessary for the screen system to function. If you add all the wiring and components of the dual screen system, you will not be able to control the screens from the radio, and the dvd player will not read a disk nor will it be displayed on the screens. I recommend alfaOBD, but a dealer can also add the sales codes to your vehicle.

#4 ·
Alpha obd, is that an aftermarket computer to hack the radio security code that makes a radio you buy off ebay work? And would this plug into same port my engine diagnostic computer plugs into under the dash drivers side? Thank you so much

#6 ·
No it's a program used for diagnostics and programming to many vehicles. AlfaOBD.com

The radio security code can be obtained thought the dealer for 20$, but you only need a code if the radio is late 2012 or newer (only If it says "ANTITHEFT" on the bottom left).
If you are purchasing a radio from ebay ask them if they will provide you the 4 digit radio code if you buy the radio, if not it can be a bargaining tool.

Also make sure the radio you buy is a high speed CAN system, there is a high speed version and low speed version, only the high speed will work in our vans. If you stick to one that came out of a Dodge Grand caravan or T&C you can't go wrong but a few other chrysler corp vehicles will also have the high speed version.
I'm going to go down and get all the wiring harness from the van the overhead console came from, that way i know i have the right harnesses, then I'll find a 08 town and country radio that will work with everything, wish that would have been available as well, but it was stolen from the donor van, any recommendations for the radio i need? Thank you so much
Oh I should add, the console I have is daul screen no sun roof ambient lights, with rear heat and AC controls
Good plan! What radio you'd like in your van is up to you, I have a 2018 RHB in my 2009 caravan. 2011 or newer radios will supports BT streaming (with a 2011+ BT module swap too), and 2013+ will have a nicer black background opposed to the light blue. I would recommend a RBZ(no NAV), or a RHB(with NAV), both built from 2010 till the last 5'th gen caravan was made. Our generation has the REN(no nav) and RER(nav with built in BT) which are getting pretty old and the hard drives do fail, screens go dim, and fan temp sensor quits.

And lastly, the color backlight of the radio buttons on your van is green (as it is on mine too), and the 2012+ caravans/T&C's have blue. If you find a used unit out of a 2013+ jeep wrangler, the button backlight can match your van's green.

Edit; there's also a few versions of the overhead screens, 2008 had a small 8" screen with quite poor quality, 2009-2012 had 9" which was slightly better, and 2013+ vans had the bluray which is still a 9' screen but the resolution is doubled and includes a HDMI cable.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm going to go down and get all the wiring harness from the van the overhead console came from, that way i know i have the right harnesses, then I'll find a 08 town and country radio that will work with everything, wish that would have been available as well, but it was stolen from the donor van, any recommendations for the radio i need? Thank you so much
Oh I should add, the console I have is daul screen no sun roof ambient lights, with rear heat and AC controls

#7 ·
Thank you so much, I'm definitely going down and getting the whole dash wiring harness and roof harness out of the donor caravan, think its an 09 caravan, everything should fit my 08 town and country. Going to get the left side panel with the RCA jacks and 110v power port and wiring harness from there as well. Is there anything else I need to grab while I'm there, its a 2 hour drive one way for me so i want to get all i need while I'm there. Thank you, William

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.