The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
whap the area of the tank where the fuel pump is with a rubber mallet to see if it runs better.
03 could be the beginning of the fuel injector melting issue and i believe the MAP sensor it part of the harness, the damage might not be bad enough to have damaged the computer yet, just the feed back from the MAP sensor.
search th sight here for melted injector harness and lots of info. I would rule out the harness before dropping a full tank.
it also is not uncommon for a pump to go out when fueling because it was getting weak and the empty tank did not have the cooling effect the pump motor needed to stay working and over heated and died. I have had vans and other cars towed to my shop and after getting slapped around going on the extreme angle onto and while on the tow truck they start right up and I don't have to push them into the garage.

Registered
ahahah the lift, isn't that great to have?
Once you go lift you never go on your back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Ok so the fuel pump is priming and i pulled the feed line off and is priming fuel and when you hit the key it pumps but not very much pressure.

Registered
I am a day late to the conversation.... that was my first few thoughts, Diesel, then water then fuel pump relay.
So I would take a sample from the fuel line at the connector at the fuel rail.
A) you get a sample of the liquid to evaluate and B) you see what apparent pressure and flow volume you are getting. AutoZone has a great little fuel pressure test kit for borrow, and if it comes down to R&Rt the pump, they have a pump replacement tool kit for borrow too. I used them both at the beginning of the year.

Get the Denso or Mopar part if you replace the fuel pump. I don't buy hard parts at Discount,AZ or Advanced under normal circumstances. I get parts from my wholesale supply house, Cold Air Distributors. They didn't have the Denso (OEM) pump in stock and I opted for a Lisle pump they had on hand. Lisle is regularly good and pretty dependable parts.
Everything installed and ran great but the next day I realized at a stop light that the Lisle pump has an annoying whine.

Denso claims to do a dynamic balance on their pumps and had I known how it was going to turn out, I would have waited an extra day and spent the extra $15 for the Denso.
Delphi $125, Denso $140
I also threw a serpent style fuel filter assembly on my 2002 TnC limited for another $30 or $40... Why not.

Registered
Ok so the fuel pump is priming and i pulled the feed line off and is priming fuel and when you hit the key it pumps but not very much pressure.
would prefer a pressure test but it sounds like it pump changn' time

Registered
When a former co-worker's car died after filling up, it was because of water in the gas. It was pretty bad, wouldn't even start immediately after filling up. I changed the fuel filter and put a bottle of ISO-HEET in it and it started and ran for a minute, then it died and wouldn't restart. It wouldn't run again until the tank was pumped out and another filter put in with fresh gas. The station acknowledged the water in their tanks and their insurance paid for the tow and mechanic time/materials. Their tanks were dug up and replaced soon after.

Registered
AutoZone has a free fuel pressure test kit that you can borrow with a deposit....

Mine was running for unknown years with weak fuel pressure. I believe some [mechanic] performed a test, not knowing that the test was supposed to be performed through the 'serpent like' filter and damaged the fuel pressure regulator. I learned all this when I had to change out my pump and then performed an autopsy on the dead.

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
AutoZone has a free fuel pressure test kit that you can borrow with a deposit....

Mine was running for unknown years with weak fuel pressure. I believe some [mechanic] performed a test, not knowing that the test was supposed to be performed through the 'serpent like' filter and damaged the fuel pressure regulator. I learned all this when I had to change out my pump and then performed an autopsy on the dead.
This is new to me, how a pressure regulator could be damaged by performing a pressure test anywhe in the system?

Please explain, I would like to know for future reference.

Registered
This is new to me, how a pressure regulator could be damaged by performing a pressure test anywhe in the system?

Please explain, I would like to know for future reference.
My 2002 and I think the 2003 was the last year, there is a three hose fuel filter that is incorporated onto the the pump assy. A common test is to use shop air to check the fuel regulator to see what pressure it will begin to bypass and thus you have checked to see the pressure the regulator is relieving at. The plumbing for this system is also incorporated through that filter.
If a technician 'thinks' they know what they are doing, because they have performed a similar test on a model that did not have this set up, and just assumes that they can perform this test by blasting air back fed into the pump assembly without using the filter plumbing also, they will most likely damage the internal fuel pressure regulator because that is not how it works on the other 80% of the vehicles. Without using the filter assy, the regulator has no where to bypass and the technician "explodes" the antisiphon check valve instead of checking the fuel pressure regulator... I no longer have the pictures, but I detailed this back in the beginning of the year when I analyzed my premature fuel pump failure and found my internal regulator popped when i opened and inspected the pump for possible repair.

Someone, perhaps atoman, confirmed that the test procedure must include the filter assy. I'll see if I can locate my old post with pictures of the regulator damage.

Registered

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
My 2002 and I think the 2003 was the last year, there is a three hose fuel filter that is incorporated onto the the pump assy. A common test is to use shop air to check the fuel regulator to see what pressure it will begin to bypass and thus you have checked to see the pressure the regulator is relieving at. The plumbing for this system is also incorporated through that filter.
If a technician 'thinks' they know what they are doing, because they have performed a similar test on a model that did not have this set up, and just assumes that they can perform this test by blasting air back fed into the pump assembly without using the filter plumbing also, they will most likely damage the internal fuel pressure regulator because that is not how it works on the other 80% of the vehicles. Without using the filter assy, the regulator has no where to bypass and the technician "explodes" the antisiphon check valve instead of checking the fuel pressure regulator... I no longer have the pictures, but I detailed this back in the beginning of the year when I analyzed my premature fuel pump failure and found my internal regulator popped when i opened and inspected the pump for possible repair.

Someone, perhaps atoman, confirmed that the test procedure must include the filter assy. I'll see if I can locate my old post with pictures of the regulator damage.
Thank you.

I had the idea of someone using external pressure could cause that, but I was assuming they using the fuel pump itself to test.

Thanks again.

If you don't ask, you'll never learn.

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
So are all of my old posts gone?
Reason I posted this:

Hello,

Little more feedback.

1.- Attachments

Seems like previous attachments were lost, or at least no link to reach them.

On previous platform, we could go to our profile page and see all our attachments, we could re-use them, now, no link to see them.

2.- Menus

On previous platform, page menus were very neat, you coukd see many items per page, now you can only see a few, please make them same as when you hit the blue button (pencil) by the avatar above.

Nice Results Page Click Here

No so Nice, lot of Wasted Space Click Here

3.- Previous posts

Before, when you searched for previous posts, you could choose to search by previous posts or started threads , now we don't have the search started threads option, it is a very helpful tool. We used search posts or started threads to help others.

Then, on the results page, you can only see a few posts, very hard to search, results page should also be like the result page when you hit the above blue button next to the avatar.

Nice Results Page Click Here

No so Nice, lot of Wasted Space Click Here

4.- Threads per page

On the old platform, you could also set how many threads per page to show, newer first if you want, can't do it now.

Thanks.

5000 Club
This is almost the classic fillup start stall issue that's been around for decades. Difference being in that scenario if left to sit for a while it will start up and run ok. This is nearly always caused by a failed ORVR valve in the top of the fuel tank. The tank has to be replaced because the valve is built into the tank. The ORVR valve is supposed to seal the tank after refueling to keep fuel out of the EVAP system charcoal canister. When the valve fails it allows fuel in the canister fludding out the engine. Keep this in your back pocket for now.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts