The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 2000 Voyager. Complaint is headlights didn't work, but then came back next time car was used.

With key out, park and high beams work, but sometimes high beam won't stay on. High goes off when lever is released. Low beams came back when key switch was played with.

Now everything seems to be working, engine running or not.

The key switch might have been jimmied before. You can remove the key in any position, including while engine is running. (You can start it, toss the key, and drive away!) The key can also be removed BETWEEN positions which, I suppose, could confuse the BCM, but that doesn't explain why lights would not come on while on the road.

Does this sound like a new lock and/or ignition switch would fix the problem?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
830 Posts
Sounds like a multifunction switch issue to me. Lights should not be affected by the key other than getting the signal for DRL, which should still run through the MFS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sienile,

I got excited about your suggestion so I went out did a manic cycle test of the blinkers, high beams, etc. turned the wheel lock to lock. Couldn't get it to fail. I was able to see the original misbehavior at her place and, initially, at my shop, but now I can't get it to not work again except that if I turn the engine off, the low beam stays on (if already on) until I cycle the headlight switch. This might be a normal courtesy feature when the headlight stays on for a couple minutes while you walk away.

Owner said she had just started the car to back out of the driveway. She tried to turn on lights, but wouldn't come on. She turned key off and the lights came on.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
830 Posts
The lights staying on for a while after key off is normal.

Seems to be one of those pain in the butt intermittent issues. I'd take a look at the bulbs and give the wires a good wiggle check. Could be filaments that were knocked loose that welded themselves back on or a short/open that only occurs when a particular wire is shifted. Outside of that, you'll just have to wait until it happens again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts