The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been dealing with rats in the interior of our 2005 Grand Caravan SXT, and I'm kinda out of ideas. :angrya:

Doesn't seem to being doing much damage to the van itself, but it has destroyed one of our carseats which are quite expensive ($50-150 depending on the kid)

I found the drain/vent hose from the fresh air intake, wiper armature(sp) area near the bottom of the windshield, and put a grille in the actual hose, that I coated with plasti-dip for longevity, but they're bypassing this mod.

I read about closing openings using these steps:

1. Have vehicle running as you park at home
2. turn on hvac system
3. Set system to "foot" or "face" setting with rotating knob
4. Push "recirculate" button (next to A/C switch)
5. Turn off vehicle

(Apparently this uses electricity or vacuum to close doors to the outside and effectively seals the cabin. Makes sense to me)

This seemed to be working for a few days, and I think maybe my wife didn't do it the last time she parked because I took her van to work today, and there was clearly new droppings in the stow-and-go wells, as well as a smattering, here and there in the rear well and near the dash.

Can anyone share how they sealed their van against these critters, or know off-hand if there are any other "entry" points?

Thanks.

p.s. I've trapped 4-5 of these critter and they're definitely rats. Just put a trap w/ peanut butter in the van after our carseat was destroyed. Caught it that same night. Subsequent nights/trap settings garnered fresh catches each night and morning.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Been dealing with rats in the interior of our 2005 Grand Caravan SXT, and I'm kinda out of ideas. :angrya:

Doesn't seem to being doing much damage to the van itself, but it has destroyed one of our carseats which are quite expensive ($50-150 depending on the kid)

I found the drain/vent hose from the fresh air intake, wiper armature(sp) area near the bottom of the windshield, and put a grille in the actual hose, that I coated with plasti-dip for longevity, but they're bypassing this mod.

I read about closing openings using these steps:

1. Have vehicle running as you park at home
2. turn on hvac system
3. Set system to "foot" or "face" setting with rotating knob
4. Push "recirculate" button (next to A/C switch)
5. Turn off vehicle

(Apparently this uses electricity or vacuum to close doors to the outside and effectively seals the cabin. Makes sense to me)

This seemed to be working for a few days, and I think maybe my wife didn't do it the last time she parked because I took her van to work today, and there was clearly new droppings in the stow-and-go wells, as well as a smattering, here and there in the rear well and near the dash.

Can anyone share how they sealed their van against these critters, or know off-hand if there are any other "entry" points?

Thanks.

p.s. I've trapped 4-5 of these critter and they're definitely rats. Just put a trap w/ peanut butter in the van after our carseat was destroyed. Caught it that same night. Subsequent nights/trap settings garnered fresh catches each night and morning.
There is another vent behind the rear bumper on the side at the passenger corner. I would get a cat and put him in there at night or use mouse traps. Those rats must be pretty small to climb in the drain hose tube.:blink:You must have a rats nest nearby like a garden shed or garage. I had them coming into my garage and had been trapping them effectivly and the discovered that they were coming from a neighbors garage two doors over. I alerted him and he got rid of the nest. No more rats.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Get the food out of there. Rodents will stay out of places unless there is food or water to be easily gotten.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Get the food out of there. Rodents will stay out of places unless there is food or water to be easily gotten.
OP has kids that are still in car seats. Removing food and food remains is a lot easier said than done. Even after taking all the seats out of my '03 to clean it, and putting them back in, and making sure that there was nothing eaten, I've found food on the floor that was probably stuck to one of my kids before a trip somewhere. I'm sure they recognize the vehicle as a source of food (and probably why the car seats were destroyed), and will keep coming back even if there really isn't any food left.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I guess with kids it is hard to keep food out of there. I have not experienced the kid issue yet so I did not consider that lol.

Maybe put a snake in the van overnight? Just keep it in a cage during the day. I think the rats would eventually learn to avoid the snake van.

·
fix it if you can
4,739 Posts
If there's the slightest food scent, the rats can find or make a way to get inside.

clean out the seat stow wells and put the largest stick traps you can find (home centers usually have a good selection)
It may also help to place a half of shelled peanut in the middle of the trap...

Make sure to check the traps every couple of days (esp. if it's warm in the van) since if the captured rodents start to decompose....

PS: snakes and cats make excellent garage accessories, but are no good for putting in the van especially if it's parked outside in the elements and temperature extremes...
Owls make a great outdoor deterrent...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess with kids it is hard to keep food out of there. I have not experienced the kid issue yet so I did not consider that lol.

Maybe put a snake in the van overnight? Just keep it in a cage during the day. I think the rats would eventually learn to avoid the snake van.

Oh my gawd, this made me laugh out loud in a very quiet office...thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP has kids that are still in car seats. Removing food and food remains is a lot easier said than done. Even after taking all the seats out of my '03 to clean it, and putting them back in, and making sure that there was nothing eaten, I've found food on the floor that was probably stuck to one of my kids before a trip somewhere. I'm sure they recognize the vehicle as a source of food (and probably why the car seats were destroyed), and will keep coming back even if there really isn't any food left.

Correct, thanks for posting that reality...:) I've got three little crumb-generators.

None-the-less, the van is as clean as it can be, but aside from having a NO food policy, which is tough for my wife when sometimes she has to feed the babies a snack (granola, grapes, etc) while driving them to daycare on her way to work. Invariably, there is SOME type of kibbles and bits laying around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is another vent behind the rear bumper on the side at the passenger corner. I would get a cat and put him in there at night or use mouse traps. Those rats must be pretty small to climb in the drain hose tube.:blink:You must have a rats nest nearby like a garden shed or garage. I had them coming into my garage and had been trapping them effectivly and the discovered that they were coming from a neighbors garage two doors over. I alerted him and he got rid of the nest. No more rats.
Good to know. I'll check out that route.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The pressure release flap may even appear to be closed as it only flaps open when the doors are slammed shut and it flaps toward the outside. Don't block this (screen it) as it also helps the stale air to leave the car when fresh air comes in. Therein lies the next step. When you set your AC controls to recirculate, also make sure that you set it to full heat so that the blend door is closed as well. I don't know how the dual zone system works but maybe this needs to be done to all the zones. Make sure you catch those that are inside as they may now be in house residents...Gord

·
3rd gen > all others
2,242 Posts
Instead of screen, have you considered using perforated aluminum? I've heard of determined mice/rats chewing through the wire screen, and even steel wool! I don't know the specifics of 4th gen vans, but this kind of advice could apply to any vehicle. I like the block-every-possible-entry method best in this situation. Best of luck!

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
What about absolutely flooding the van with D-CON? Avoiding quite obviously areas within reach of any children. Yes, the rats will come, consume, but they won't die immediately. They'll probably leave the van and then die once they're out. At which point, what do you care? They're out of the van, and as long as they didn't kick the bucket in the kitchen sink, who cares?

Clearly this means avoiding putting any D-CON in the rear cabin, so we don't eliminate the cherubs on accident...

·
fix it if you can
4,739 Posts
What about absolutely flooding the van with D-CON? Avoiding quite obviously areas within reach of any children. Yes, the rats will come, consume, but they won't die immediately. They'll probably leave the van and then die once they're out. At which point, what do you care? They're out of the van, and as long as they didn't kick the bucket in the kitchen sink, who cares?

Clearly this means avoiding putting any D-CON in the rear cabin, so we don't eliminate the cherubs on accident...
What makes you think the rodents will flee the van rather than finding a cozy warm spot under the dash board somewhere before expiring?

Anyway, if they nest in the van, the only way to rid of them is to trap them, if they only visit the van for food - they'll try to get in even if every hole is covered by attacking platic.. (the nest needs to be removed, at least baited traps should be set out around the parking spot..)

·
Registered
60 Posts
PB040020.jpg Once they leave the interior they may just end up under your fuse box next to your battery if it's configured like my 2002 GC.
PB040019.jpg

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
When I have a customer with this issue, I tell them to put moth balls in the engine compartment. The mice will run from moth balls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts