The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a rattle in the door that you hear when you are driving and it is even worse if the road is rough......not sure whar to do and if we need to see the repair man for it. We have noticed that when the door is open it has a bit more give up and down than the other side(we use the passenger side more). is there any place that might need to tighten or grease....would the foam covering the latch need to be repalced......I also noticed that the lower part of the slider that would latch and hold the door doesnt hold it open....is that a part that could be repalced? the only other issue is the squeeky overhead....need to fix these problems before we go on any long trips----the noise drives us crasy!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Seems to be normal. I've heard it in most '11+ vans. I think it's just a sign of an aging chassis design structure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If it is a squeak/creak wrap black electrical tape around the latch(door striker looks like bent hook) where the door pawl will grab on the rear latch and the front latch (just behind the front door). Just 2-3 wraps tightly should do the trick. We had the annoying squeak/creak in our Routan and the dealer couldn't chase it down. If you get a click when braking(almost stopped or just stopped) wrap the front door striker. These latches should have been coated from the get go. The strikers are adjustable but I don't want to disrupt the paint, that's the first thing I look at on a used car--moved hardware, sure sign someone has been into the car. I'll post some pics later tonight when the van gets home. Grease might do the trick but I have seen my kids put their hands on it to climb in. At the rate they go thru clothes I don't need grease to accelerate it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here's the pics. First one is the drivers door striker. The second is the drivers slider rear striker (w/o tape) I just removed it as it was starting to get messed up so I need to re-wrap it. And the last pic is the drivers slider front. Just a few wraps will do it and keep your eyes on it. I know it's a cobbled fix but the dealer couldn't find it and I read about it somewhere here IIRC. Cheap, easy and fixes the problem! No more rattles from the doors and if everything stays still in the way back, the van is almost silent except for seat jiggle in the unoccupied 2nd row seat if my son is in the way back.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my,....this noise has been driving us crazy for months and not sure what made me post today, but all I can say is WOW and a big Thank you!:thumb: this worked like a charm....now we are going to go out and get single tape sided foam or felt to hopefully fix the dvd and storage bin rattle noise....if all goes well, we will have a nice quiet van again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
RoutanSEL, great post. I too, was having a rattling passenger slider. I sprayed some white lithium grease on the latch assembly inside the door and it helped a lot. After reading this, I went out and wrapped the strikers! Thanks for taking the time to post the quick fix!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG.......I have hated my 2010 caravan for a long time now because of this "rattle". Numerous repair visits never solved the problem. When I read your post I literally ran into the garage, taped it up and went for a ride. Imagine my surprise when the rattle was gone! Thanks so much RoutanSEL! Where do I send the cheque?:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it is a squeak/creak wrap black electrical tape around the latch(door striker looks like bent hook) where the door pawl will grab on the rear latch and the front latch ...
You, sir, deserve a medal. Wife and I just took ownership of a new-to-us 2010 T&C Limited, and I noticed a rattle coming from the sliding door on the driver's side. Your tape tip eliminated that. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
rattle in doors

great idea! i am going to try this on my 2012 tomorrow. love the van but the door rattle is driving me nuts. dealer didnt fix it when i had it serviced. hats off to you my friend for the heads up. cheers

·
Registered
338 Posts
If it is a squeak/creak wrap black electrical tape around the latch(door striker looks like bent hook) where the door pawl will grab on the rear latch and the front latch (just behind the front door). Just 2-3 wraps tightly should do the trick. We had the annoying squeak/creak in our Routan and the dealer couldn't chase it down. If you get a click when braking(almost stopped or just stopped) wrap the front door striker. These latches should have been coated from the get go. The strikers are adjustable but I don't want to disrupt the paint, that's the first thing I look at on a used car--moved hardware, sure sign someone has been into the car. I'll post some pics later tonight when the van gets home. Grease might do the trick but I have seen my kids put their hands on it to climb in. At the rate they go thru clothes I don't need grease to accelerate it.
Routan, I saw your post and pictures a couple of months ago, and have thought about applying your fix. My GC developed the rattle after the dealer did a door realignment. QUESTION, THO-- Is there any danger of getting the tape stuck in the latching mechanism?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there any danger of getting the tape stuck in the latching mechanism?
I have had the tape in place for over a year and although it has gotten squished/moved a little from the constant door opening/closing, it has never gotten stuck in the latching mechanism. No rattle yet, so even though the tape I originally placed is a little malformed I am leaving it in place until it either falls off or I hear a rattle again.

To the poster that asked about cloth hockey tape, I would think that would work just as well.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
This thread is great. Thanks again to RoutanSEL! This fixed the rattle in my new to me 2011, and I hate rattles!

·
Registered
338 Posts
OK, I tried it on mine, with little or no success. BUT-maybe I didn't do it right. I put the tape only in the area where the "claw" grabs the stationary latch. Should I have wrapped the entire latch? I used about two layers; would more help? Of course, there's always the chance the rattle has another origin.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts