The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! I've been doing my own brakes and mechanic work as long as I've been able to drive. Target vehicle : A 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager aka Dodge Grand Caravan (as everyone knows) VIN 1P4GH54R4RX232002- if it helps.

I am in the process of refreshing my rear brake setup on my beater. During my part searches I am finding that there are 2 sizes for this vehicle depending on where you do the search. I'm finding a 289mm and a 228mm (approx size) 9" and 11". Parts matches on the 3 As - Amazon,Autozone, & Advance are all showing the 11" as the exact replacement. Rock Auto, however, is showing 9" mostly. The vehicle has the 9" drum installed on it as I type. The number on the edge of the drum says "DIA 9.043" aka 229mm n change. In the note sections of the parts search engines they say "w/ 15" Wheels" or something similar. Now the van had 15" stock wheels when I bought it but have since upgraded it to 17" wheels.

So if it was set-up originally with 15" wheels why wouldn't it have 11" Drums on it? Were there wrong drums put on this last time? Is it possible the original owner bought an upgrade or changed the setup at purchase that would have had them change the diameter of the rear drum?

Someone that knows this vans setup might be able to shed light on this. It shouldn't be this hard. I mean I will replace it with the 9.043" that are on it but it's gonna be a bit harder to narrow it down pny because not too many places offered them as a compatible replacement. I would just like some selection. But it it can take the 11" without major makeover, I'd like to install those instead since I'm sure it will be a bit more stopping power and there is enough selection. I don't have hardly any experience with Drums brakes but have done them easily the two times I've done them. I have done everything to keep this van alive from piston replacement to transmission rebuilds. I like working on it. Its relatively easy to work on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They ran numerous brake setups on these vans.

1. 14" wheel, 9" drum, 5x100 pattern.
2. 14" wheel, 9" drum, 5x114.3 pattern.
3. 15" wheel, 9" drum, 5x114.3 pattern.
4. 15" wheel, 11" drum, 5x114.3.
The first 3 are the most common, the 4th was only the Sport Wagon models IIRC.
If it has 9" drums, use the 9", check your bolt pattern as well as that will matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful! Thank you.

I’m sure info on the parts search engines aren’t accurate for a vehicle this old. With your information, I’m definitely placed as a number 3. So it looks like as long as I follow that setup I’ll be fine. Strangely the fourth setup comes up the most when my vehicle is chosen even when I use the VIN parts search. I didn’t mention it is an LE 3.3l.

Is it too involved to move to the 11”? I mean if it’s just going to the junkyard and getting the 11” backplate (if that's the proper name for the mount bracket) I would/could do that if it’s a decent performance upgrade and because that’s seems to be the focused format of the part query I seem to keep getting of automotive part websites. It’s an additional 10 square inches of braking surface area. Those brackets should be plentiful at the large junkyards near me here in Fort Lauderdale FL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well possibly because the 4th is kind of a rare model, I might be wrong in saying it should be easy to find them at a junkyard. And it’s probably the reason why I’m getting that size as a returned result because they are plenty of parts left in circulation for the sports model.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Beautiful! Thank you.

I’m sure info on the parts search engines aren’t accurate for a vehicle this old. With your information, I’m definitely placed as a number 3. So it looks like as long as I follow that setup I’ll be fine. Strangely the fourth setup comes up the most when my vehicle is chosen even when I use the VIN parts search. I didn’t mention it is an LE 3.3l.

Is it too involved to move to the 11”? I mean if it’s just going to the junkyard and getting the 11” backplate (if that's the proper name for the mount bracket) I would/could do that if it’s a decent performance upgrade and because that’s seems to be the focused format of the part query I seem to keep getting of automotive part websites. It’s an additional 10 square inches of braking surface area. Those brackets should be plentiful at the large junkyards near me here in Fort Lauderdale FL.
Parts listings for these are rarely correct, I generally take the old part with me so I can match. Watch your wheel cylinders as well, I found them to be listed backwards (ABS listed for non ABS and vise-versa), so I buy wheel cylinders based on the bore instead. They were either 3/4 or 11/16 bore depending on vehicle.

To swap to 11" you would need the backing plates for sure. I can't recall if you also need the stub axle and hub to make everything work or not.

If you were going to upgrade for more braking power, you can do a rear disc conversion, but it requires fab work. I was looking for the write up on it, but am coming up blank ATM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Long_Voyager94
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing