The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 GC so i went to drive my older 03 GC sport and it wouldnt move. well it was a a tad chilly, figured tranny wasnt warmed yet it doesnt like cold weather.
anyhow in reverse wouldnt move but "rocked" trying to move, drive same thing, did this back and forth a few times and was like WTF its only been a week since i drove it just fine
then i here a 'pop"? from rear and van moves with a 'smooth grinding" noise
rear brakes bad? i THINK i may have replaced rear shoes 5-6 years ago if at all IDK memory these days lol
I am thinking pad is gone and shoes stuck to drum..we have had a lot of rain lately, but havent driven the van
any thoughts? oh and the fluid is full
thanks

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
did you have the emergency brake on ? if so that's what was sticking , I've had that happen to me before . If it wasn't on then the rear brakes were sticking , probably rusted in place if you've had that much rain the pop would have been them braking loose . You could try driving it for a few miles and keep stopping to see if they'll clean up on their own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i checked that, i actually in gagged it fully, and release still wouldnt move,
yeah kinda what i thought, gonna drive it around town today
dont want to put much $$ into cause im selling it, but dont want to sell it with bad rear brakes either

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Lots of parts inside the drum which could have gone bad - springs, shoes, and the cylinder. The only way to find out what's going on is to remove the drum - might be as simple as just replacing a spring. If the drum doesn't come off, try turning the adjuster wheel from the back. If you don't DIY, a shop hopefully wouldn't charge too much for this job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts