The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 town and country
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone spliced a secondary button onto the inside of the tailgate or rear hatch area? Due to our financial situation we stepped down from an 12 escalade to a pretty beat down 07 t&c. Now that i have all the power accessories working again the one thing we miss is being able to close the power hatch from the hatch itself. The escalade had a button near the latch on the hatch so you could close it from there. I was surprised that this didn't have one like that, instead either having to have the remote in your hand, (we live in the country so we leave the key in the ignition all the time,) or go back in and use the overhead console button.

It seems like it shouldn't be an issue to run wires from the front switch but I was wondering if anyone has tried this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've never been particularly helpful, and apparently, I'm gonna continue that trend.

I too, think and wanted a button near the hatch.
Many eons ago, I had found a thread that gave a pretty detailed account of wiring up a hatch button. I believe it was on this forum, but, it may have been on a different chrysler/dodge forum.
BUT! Then my computer crashed and I lost that bookmark, and haven't been able to locate that thread.
I have since lost interest. But, if you find or do this mod, PULEEZE update this thread, cuz I might still be interested.
Thanx and sorry.

·
fix it if you can
5,757 Posts
IIRC, it's either 4.1 or 4.7 Kohm to the sense wire to the outside pad (take a multimeter and confirm) - all you have to do is put a switch with a resistor and two wires (one to sense wire the other to ground)

Yes there's a thread on how to repair the rubber pad switch somewhere in 4th gen archives here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve done it.

I wanted a trunk button for a long time, but I wanted a backup camera for safety even more. The backup camera is what ultimately provided the motivation to route wires from the rearview mirror area all the way to the trunk. I bought a cheap used trunk button on eBay, and I wired it up.

I ended up using a wiring setup that is really simple. I used 2 recycled wire strands from an old set of Christmas lights. I ran the wires from the original trunk button to the button in the back. I soldered the wires directly to the leads of both the original button and the button I was installing. Pressing either button now closes the circuit in the same way. I didn’t have to worry about resistors or anything else. I just had to find a way to make space to get the wires to the original trunk button’s PCB.

I don’t have pictures of the trunk button setup offhand, but I have some pictures of what the original buttons and the PCB look like. I took these pictures when I replaced the light bulbs for the glowing buttons. If you change the light bulbs then make sure that you carefully pull the old blue light filter off of the original bulb in order to reuse it with a new bulb. The filter is very delicate and has been slightly melted onto the original bulb. If you don’t put that filter on the new bulb then the light won’t be a matching Chrysler green.

I marked the button leads you want to solder to with large orange arrows. I marked the button leads for the side door buttons in different colors. The on/off button uses the PCB pads that I marked with a red rectangle.
Organism Font Terrestrial plant Pattern Wood
Wood Font Trunk Rectangle Art

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn’t think to try the rear switch by using a step ladder.

Here are the original pictures if you want to read the resistor values and look at the PCB traces. Just in case you want to figure out a different way to make it work.
Green Wood Terrestrial plant Rectangle Font

Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts