The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1991 Plymouth Grand Voyager has the six speaker Infinity system. The rear (liftgate) speakers have stopped working. One repair shop asked me what the part number for the speakers was, but I can't find it anywhere online. Here is what I have found:

Speaker Part Numbers for 1991 Chrysler Minivan with Infinity stereo:

Dashboard (Front) Speakers - round, about 5"
Part #04688517 - still available from a few sources

Front Door Speakers - 5"x7"(?)
Part #04688347 - not available from Chrysler, but I saw one new one on eBay

Liftgate (Rear) Speakers - 6"x9"
Part #????????
Woofer magnet has "4846" and "13310621" on it, and there's a sticker with "1341"

Does anyone have a source for a part number for the rear/liftgate speakers? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Need location of relay used to power speaker amps

Situation: The Infinity I radio from our 1991 Grand Voyager was repaired (cassette wasn't working) by Southern Electronics in Richmond, VA. After reinstalling the radio I found that the front door (i.e. middle) and liftgate (rear) speakers were not working. Front (dash) speakers work fine.

When I pulled the rear speakers and tested the wires going to them I found that there was no power going to the amps in the speakers. Southern Electronics says there is a relay that the radio activates that provides power to the speaker amps, and speculation is the problem is with the relay, not the speakers.

Allpar article says the same:
"The relay used to power up the amps is shared with the power antenna (if equipped). It is often called the NBS (or name brand speaker) relay in factory literature. Its location varies depending on the vehicle."

Neither Southern Electronics nor my regular mechanic can tell me where to find the radio amp relay. Southern insists that it's fed by fuse 23.

Anyone have any idea where the relay is hidden? Speculation is that it's in a "power distribution center" under the hood, maybe near the battery. There is one very tightly closed box with a bunch of wires going into it on the left side of the engine compartment near the battery, but it doesn't look like it's designed to be opened.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
These threads pertains to the 4th gen, but yours may be similar

replacement radio no sound
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/10770-replacement-radio-no-sound

2002 aftermarket stereo help?
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/15471-2002-aftermarket-stereo-help?

Help Please!2002 T&C Installed after market GPS/Radio no sound!!
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...p-C-Installed-after-market-GPS-Radio-no-sound!!

Restoring Factory Radio 2001 TC w/ infinity, Speaker Harness Qs
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...y-Radio-2001-TC-w-infinity-Speaker-Harness-Qs

·
Registered
35 Posts

It is located in center of instrument panel, under ash receiver.

Don't forget connect X60 ( #1 black) to "power ant" or "remote" this wire switched on NBS relay. Check GND near head unit, connector look like this

·
Registered
2000 Chrysler Town + Country LX 2WD 3.3
80 Posts
al, your pic's show's the dash on a gen 2 c/v.
is there another fuse box behind the dash panel or radio too ???

or do i just check the one under the driver's foot panel area.

gorilla

·
Registered
35 Posts
Micro relay block located behind the dash panel and contain Name Brand Speakers Relay that feeds amplifiers on speakers. You should hear click when switches radio on.

Radio has 2 fuses under the driver's foot panel area.
#3-NBS
#6-Radio

·
Registered
80 Posts
al, all them fuse are good.
i guess i need to take the door - speaker panel off and see what goes on inside !!!

gorilla

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Al -

This is a huge help. However, I am still confused about the exact location of the micro relay block. You said it was behind the ash receiver assembly. My dash is an earlier version than shown in the take-apart drawing you show. For example, I don't have to remove the message center, only the center bezel, to remove the radio. My center stack is:

- radio
- HVAC control
- box for optional CD player
- ash receiver assembly
- CD/Tape storage bin

I can figure out how to remove the radio and the HVAC control, but not the optional CD box and the ash receiver, which seem to be set in a different housing. I looked like I might have to disassemble most of the dash to get it out.

Since my last post I've bench tested my rear speakers. Both work fine once they get 12v power, another indication that the issue is with the NBS relay. The ground wire for the NBS relay is attached to the ground strap post on the back of the radio (mine uses a flat spade connector instead of the ring connector you showed), so I think all the wiring is OK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Al -

Those last schematics look right, as the repair shop told me the NBS relay is on fuse 23, and that's the cigar lighter fuse on my car, which is supposed to also feed the NBS relay.

Now if I can just figure out what "Name Brand Speaker Relay (Lower Right Panel)" means. I am able to disassemble the dash on the lower left, but can't figure out how to do it on the lower right or how to remove the center stack housing. The lower right section of the dash is part of the housing for the center of the center stack, and this large piece of plastic seems welded in place, even with all the screws I can find removed.

I did try using a low voltage wire tracing device to track the wire, and it led me in part to a metal box that is partially seen to the left of the center stack under the dash which has two large connectors each with a bunch of wires in it. I'd wondered if this was the '91s version of a Power Distribution Center. But your drawing makes it look like the NBS relay stands alone, and the reference to 'Lower Right Panel" makes me think its on the right side under the glove box - the panel that I can't figure out how to remove. The power wire to the liftgate speakers appears to run on the right side of the car based on my low voltage trace, which would fit with the NBS relay being under the right side of the dash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I was able to get the center stack and lower left dash disassembled. No evidence of NBS relay. At this point I've pretty much covered everything under the dash. Would be a help to have a schematic for the relay module that is there.

The metal box I referred to appears to be an electronic control module, with no relays inside.

As later models have the NBS relay under the hood I guess I'll look some more there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Al -

Do you have access to sheet AS-HK 87? According to the AS-HK-85 page you posted, sheet 87 has the wiring for NBS speakers. Sheet 86 is for "electronically tuned radios", but without NBS (i.e. without Infinity speakers).

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After having disassembled most of the dash, I moved some of the relays on the relay block above the fuse block (lower left under dash), and after putting everything back together, miracle of miracles, all speakers now work. Since then I've read a circuit sheet that Al Goodman sent me, which confirmed that the NBS (Name Brand Speaker, aka Infinity speakers) relay is indeed in this relay block. Now I have to figure out what I may have disabled by moving the bad NBS relay to another location.

For anyone looking for this info on a 1991 or 1992 minivan, the NBS relay is exactly in the middle of the relay block above the fuse block under the left side of the dash. You have to remove the panel below the steering wheel to access it, but that's not hard: one screw on the left side, two at top of panel under A/C vents, and three at the bottom.

The relay block has a grid of 3x3x4 jacks (vertically). The NBS relay is in the center of the middle three relay jacks. On my car there are at least four (total) relays of the same type as the NBS relay, two in the center set of three jacks and two in the right set.

I still have not figured out the part number for this relay, but have some leads. Will post if I find it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.