The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 town and country 190,000 k. It looks great runs great the one thing that im having problems with is it makes a loud rattling sound located on the driver side rear.
Thought to believe it was the rear bumper . that wasn't it checked everything inside to make sure things were right. Which i found nothing loose.
Had it on the lift found 2 heat shields barely attached making a clattering sound. So i removed them took it for a ride and i still had the terrible rattling sound. Back on the lift again. I noticed the drivers side of the axial was about 4" lower then the right.
Could it be a broken coil spring or shock? Can that be the loud annoying rattle im hearing? Im not a professional when it come to vehicles. Could someone point me in the right direction to get rid of this annoying rattle, Or to help find the cause?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Gen-5 vans are notorious for rear shock rattles. My 2014 T&C did it from new. In 2019 I got some Sensen shocks on Rock Auto closeout for less than 10 bucks each. I expected nothing, but they've been back there for almost three years without a sound.

Many people mistakenly torque the shock bolts with the car in the air. For these shocks the bolts are simply snugged and then the car is returned to ride height with the car on the ground (or on ramps in my case). The bolts are the torqued to what I think is 50 pound-feet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I'd be replacing the shocks.
Its been a process of elimination. Hopefully the process will be over when the shocks are replaced. The rattling is really starting to annoy me. Thanks for Your input greatly appreciated

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
321 Posts
My rear spring rattles went away with rear shock changes. (And yes, the replaced shocks were not functioning when they were removed, the dust covers were rusted out). Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts