The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2014 T&C. The legs on the left half of the rear stow & go seat stick up about 2 inches when the seat is folded flat. They are under tension. If I push down to flatten them, they pop back up immediately. The legs on the right half stay completely flat, no issues.

I searched the forum and couldn't find this problem described on the 5th gen vans.

Is there an adjustment to fix this? Or does this indicate a more serious ($$$) problem with the seat mechanism?

Thx everyone.

IMG_8024.jpg

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't recall ever this on any forums. I believe the legs are moved by either a spring or a cable. When the seats are upright, do the legs fit correctly into the "groove/latch" where it's supposed to go?

First thing I'd do is bring the seats back upright and put it back down, maybe something got out of adjustment or caught inside. Directly in front of the seat legs, there is a big "flap" that runs the width of the seat (this hides the mechanics of the seat and should slide forward when you lift the seat up), lift it up to see if anything got stuck inside or if any springs/cables popped loose. If that doesn't work, seeing that you have a 2014, I'm assuming it's still under warranty, I would take it back to the dealer for a warranty fix.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mine does the same on one half of the split rear bench. The cable and/or spring is stretched. I am waiting until I replace the fabric seat covers with leather ones before I try and fix it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I just came back from the dealer today for the exact same problem they told me they had to order the spring kit for it because they were loose and/or worn and that's what keeps them flat.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Could this be a design flaw where the spring kit isn't strong enough to handle regular use?

My 2010 is fine as well but I keep it in the down position since I rarely use the third row.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the comments. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow and will see what they say. Hopefully the fix will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This happens because the support legs for the rear set have been pulled up from their stowed position, or have been prevented from retracting when the seat was stowed. "Do not lift" is molded into the legs in an attempt to prevent this, but the warning is very difficult to see.

There is a cable that extends and retracts the seat support legs, and there is a spring in the cable. If the legs are lifted while the seat is stowed, the spring is permanently over-stretched, and no longer pulls the legs to the proper stowed position. The spring is available at the dealer's parts counter for a couple of dollars. To change the spring, you hold the seat midway between the up and stowed position, reach into the base of the seat, unhook and remove the overstretched spring, and put the new one in its place. With the new spring in your hand, it is obvious to see what you have to do to make the repair.

I had spent an hour taking my seat out to figure out the problem and get the spring out to show the parts guy what I wanted. He gave me the spring, and a print of the instructions for changing the spring, as summarized above. The instruction page showed that the shop guys are allowed 0.1 hour to do this job!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Probably overkill, but here is the complete kit for our '08:

3rd row stow repair kit

If you just need the spring, maybe can get only that at the dealer. I don't know the part number of the spring, assuming it is available as a separate part number.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So they don't get long to do this at the dealership as 0.1 hour equates to six minutes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
As the job is so small, and if the vehicle is out of warranty, then it could be done at home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I would have fixed it myself if I'd seen the detailed instructions!

The dealer apparently did not know how to repair it in place, and so removed the rear seat to fix. The job was covered under warrant. Had the car not been under warranty, they would have charged $150 parts & labor. The part had to be special-ordered and took 2 days to arrive.

For others with a similar issue and still under warranty, the spring kit part number is 68045722AA. The warranty labor code is 23135005.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too pulled up on the leg which stretches the spring. Don't take it to the dealer, don't buy the cable kit, just take the stretched spring off with a needlenose or screwdriver etc. You can put the other side of the split seat down and compare the length of the springs. You'll notice that the spring is longer by a coil's length because it was stretched, on the side that the legs won't go down on. I went to the junkyard and took the spring off an 08 Caravan. Any 08-10 T&C or GC will do. The trick to putting it back on is to lift the seat up like you are going to lock the legs in to put the seat up. When you have it just about hooked on, it won't have enough slack. Have a helper push the legs in to the back of the seat and you'll notice how it will give you enough slack in the cable to get the hook back on the anchor. I put the hook on the cable first, and then on the anchor end as my helper was pushing the legs into the seat. Problem solved for 25 cents at the junkyard, or if you don't want to wander around in the mud, the dealer supposedly just carries the spring, but I was at the JUNKYARD anyway, harvesting an air filter housing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts