The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
So, I recently had front and rear suspension replaced.... All good, well not really...
I ordered from a place called Detroit Axle... I've done well with them when I owned a Chrysler Concorde...
On my van I ordered a set front struts with rear shocks, good price! (Front Struts + Rear Shock Absorber for Chrysler Town Country Dodge Caravan FWD | eBay)
However, after driving the van I noticed the rear end was doing some extra bouncing and bottoming out... I remembered something the mechanic told me after the work was all done that the rear shocks were secured as they were gas charged and much smaller diameter than stock? he said that's the new direction for shocks...? Well, I'm now attempting to remedy the problem and am communicating with Detroit Axle and waiting to see their solution... I called my local dealer to get some specs for the rear shocks, and ll they could tell me is the part number that was both the parts dept and service...? Anyway, what can you guys tell me you've done...? I appreciate your input!!!

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring 3.8L 230k+ mi
222 Posts
Year + trim? I am assuming you previously had Nivomats, which are much bulkier with a larger diameter that came with Limited models. They are much pricier than standard shocks due to the load-leveling technology, and if you haul lots in the rear of the van, that would explain the bouncing you’re not accustomed to.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Yup, you had Nivomats. Hope you didn't throw them away. They were probably still good. Only reason to throw them is if they are leaking. They're over $500 a pair to replace, and take longer mounting bolts.

This seems to be a recurring theme on this forum. Maybe I should start pulling used Nivomats and selling them? The U Pull yard is having a pull-a-thon this saturday, all you can carry for $80 for 20 feet. I can imagine wiring a bunch of them together and hanging them around my neck! You have to use things in the yard to tie stuff together, so seat belts get used a lot.

I have a pair of 3rd gen used nivomats, but read somewhere they are almost an inch shorter than the 4th gen nivomats.

Reactions: MOSDAUMD

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1. Chances are you had Nivomat rear suspension, which means you can't use the "normal" shocks.

2. Detroit axle is bottom barrel ****, you got what you paid for, next time buy quality parts and save yourself the hassle, it will be cheaper in the long run.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
If a DGC was originally fitted with standard shocks can it be retrofitted with the Nivomat shocks?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, as long as you get the longer mounting bolts that come with them (from a junkyard van) and possibly spacers so the fat shock clears the frame.

Reactions: 2019GTlife

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT
68 Posts
Yes, as long as you get the longer mounting bolts that come with them (from a junkyard van) and possibly spacers so the fat shock clears the frame.
Thanks. I just got a 2019 DGC and I have not looked at the shocks yet but after some preliminary research I think the Nivomats are a good option.

They state the vehicle has to be driven about a mile to pump them up to level,,,would bouncing on the back of the vehicle do the same thing?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Our 2011 Sienna has roughly the same rear suspension design as the 5th gen vans. To stop the rear from sagging on that, I added the Firestone air helper springs/bags that go inside of the coil springs. I also lifted the whole van an inch with strut spacers up front, and 2" coil spring spacers above the rear coils and cut 1/2 coil off the rear springs (it was too high with the spacers). That lowered the rear again and made the spring just a tad stiffer. Combined with the air helper springs, it stays level when loaded full of kids, luggage, and a trailer hooked up to it. The air springs can be inflated/deflated as needed to still retain ride quality when unloaded.

This shows the spring spacer on top. The air bag in the spring is hiding behind the brake rotor. The white plastic thing is a spacer added to the top of the air bag, and fits inside of the spacer when inflated/on the ground to make up for the additional thickness of the spring spacer.
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, in conclusion I eventually had to present a report that the shocks were defective in order to have them send me the "correct" set...So, I paid $35... And got the report (from Pepboys). And when I talked to Detroit Axle I found out that they had sent me the wrong rear shocks! I am now awaiting the replacement set hoping they will be the correct ones... Thanks! for your input and advice... God Bless †

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So, in conclusion I eventually had to present a report that the shocks were defective in order to have them send me the "correct" set...So, I paid $35... And got the report (from Pepboys). And when I talked to Detroit Axle I found out that they had sent me the wrong rear shocks! I am now awaiting the replacement set hoping they will be the correct ones... Thanks! for your input and advice... God Bless †
I'd have just returned them and got some quality shocks ordered. Why waste time with subpar parts from a subpar company in an attempt to be cheap?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Let us know how it turns out.
I...

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,235 Posts
Anyway, what can you guys tell me you've done...? I appreciate your input!!!
Simple answer,

Those two solutions combined are still a better price than 2 new Nivomats for the rear. Otherwise, used Nivomats are a good solution, if you can find a good used pair today.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Simple answer,

Those two solutions combined are still a better price than 2 new Nivomats for the rear. Otherwise, used Nivomats are a good solution, if you can find a good used pair today.
I installed my Amazon Monroe licensed Nivomats yesterday. The ride is back!

Monroe 40201 $260 each 18SEP2022 on Amazon
Today they are $398 each 26NOV2022 on Amazon

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,235 Posts
I installed my Amazon Monroe licensed Nivomats yesterday. The ride is back!

Monroe 40201 $260 each 18SEP2022 on Amazon
Today they are $398 each 26NOV2022 on Amazon
W-O-W sticker shocking for EACH !

I got the ride back too with the Monroe coil over shocks with a lifetime warranty. A pair was $110 right from Monroe on Amazon.

With the high amount of minivans made for 4th gen, I can see why Monroe went with the licensing and the coil over shock solutions.

Reactions: FabricGATOR
1 - 20 of 24 Posts