The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The donor van was a 98 Sport and It did have rear AC, but I don't remember any duct in the way. I don't recall any difficulty or difference from the left one. Maybe I just forgot about it. It was about a month ago.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 99 Grand Voyager Expresso has the power rear vent windows, nice feature.....if they'd work!

Neither of mine worked when I first got my 98 Grand Caravan. After driving it a year, the passenger-side window would also stop working once in awhile.
We were on a long trip. My wife had her window open, then it started raining, and we could not get it to close. By accident, I found out that when I got pissed and slammed my driver's door closed, the passenger side window started working again.

Long story made short - all the trouble was in the two wire-harness connectors on the drivers-side door. Both were not pushed on fully and locked in place. After fixing, everything works great. This even fixed an intermittent speaker problem.

Funny thing is, right after finally having both vent windows working, one got disconnected from the window-glass. I called Mopar and all they could sell me is a complete new motor kit. So, I epoxed it instead, and now all is fine.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This is exactly how I feel about changing a bad starter motor on these blasted engines. It's really easy to pop the starter motor out when it craps the bed, but GOOD GRIEF what a pain in the arse it was to put the new one in. Lots of swearing and useless grunting. Frankly I'd rather take the wiper cowl and tray out than do another starter motor. Though, if my experience is any indication, I should have two more 3.3/3.8L starter motors crapping the bed any time now. *fumes*
Chrysler,
My starter went to starter heaven on me while I was 1000 miles from home last year...on a dark, rainy day. I ended up changing it in the Advance Auto Parts store parking lot during a lull in the rain with tools I borrowed from one of the clerks (he was cool). So, not the best circumstances. It was so dark I had to work holding a small led flashlight.

Not sure how my 3.3L differs from yours but on my van, it went incredibly smooth and took me less than half an hour even with conditions as they were. Just two bolts and one plug in.

I do not believe I am any better at changing a starter than you, just surprised that you had trouble. Or maybe I just got very lucky?
What specifically gave you trouble?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The starter change is not bad, it only gets to be a pain when something (I forget what) gets in the way and frustrates me to the point where I need to sit back and chill for a few minutes, then I can usually get it back in lol.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I'm not sure really what the problem is since I couldn't see where it was binding, but getting it to fit in properly while making sure the blasted spacer was sitting correctly was just awful. Removal was easy as pie, but it kept catching on things and binding on the way back in...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a strange problem on mine passenger side, the motor will move, but would not open the vent glass. You can see the motor moving when you press the button, but it stuck at half way.

Anyone have the same problem?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My problem is the driver vent window..no power to motor..I check it with mulitmeter..no juice, checked the switch and it is good..is gtere a fuse for each vent window? I would not think so..but you never know till you check/ask..also lol..I checked to make sure the connects were all tight. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Town and Country Passenger rear vent window

My 2006 is doing the same thing. I replaced the motor and the switch and the passenger side still does not work. Any ideas?

·
5000 Club
5,667 Posts
Check for power/ground at the motor connector. If it's there change the motor again. Was it used?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I consider these motors to be a pattern failure.

Based on the behavior I've seen in these things, here's my current theory as to what happens: the motor's commutator slips relative to the armature shaft, and causes the motor to either run weakly, not at all, or even the REVERSE of what you're telling it to do (yes, I've actually seen this happen)! I've replaced both of my vent motors (both with used parts), and one of the replacement motors is currently dead, so I may disassemble it and see if I can verify the commutator as the culprit. Or it may be that the brushes just wore out and the dangling brush springs are contacting the commutator at odd locations.

Yes there is a self-resetting PTC fuse embedded into each motor. That just protects the motor from damage from someone just sitting on the switch. So if the vent motor is working poorly, and you sit on the switch trying to get it to move, you may have to just wait a while before trying again.

- G

·
Super Moderator
2,131 Posts
Crosslinking to another thread on rear vent windows where they replaced the motor:

From vheiner:
"I have replaced lots of these units! The $65 price tag can be reduced to $6.00 by taking the unit apart and just replacing the motor inside. I purchase mine from Alltronics LLC (http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/ca...gi?item=28M122) for $2.25 + shipping. It is a long shaft RK-370C Mabuchi motor and replaces the OEM motor exactly. The assembly on 2001 and older caravans have to be drilled apart. The 2002 and newer snap apart except for two melted tabs that need to be drilled. Anyone with a little fix-it sense can fix these things easily for only a few dollars. It is almost always the motor that goes bad as they are very cheaply made. I can remove the motor assembly from the van, replace the motor in it and put it back in the car usually in less that 15 minutes so it isn't a difficult thing to do. I have yet to have one not work afterward."

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/5351-Rear-vent-window-won-t-close/page3

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Concerning the clip, I wished I had read this thread last week. Chrysler stopped selling the clip in April 2015, I didn't know you could just pop the window off the motor and my clip got bent up while trying to remove it. I have searched everywhere I can think of and can find nothing. I tried some .042" safety wire, but its too stiff. Anybody know where I can find this clip besides the junkyard? By the way, I got my motor from RockAuto for $40. They don't do clips either. I checked out Strongarm but they use a different design.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I should clarify that if you use the method of prying with the clip still installed, be sure to unbolt the motor first; you don't want to accidentally break off the piece attached to the window. :)

I would think you should be able to bend the clip back into shape and re-insert it. Or bend and cut a paperclip into the right shape.

- G

·
Registered
17 Posts
Out of curiosity,

I'm wondering if these motors go bad more from LACK of use than use? Could be the brushes or commutator get a layer of corrosion on them because they hardly ever get used?
(I'm replying to an ancient post, but these are ongoing problems)
I wonder if many are having problems because the glass sticks to the weatherstripping/seal after the windows are left closed for long periods, and grime and wax/residue from automatic car washes builds up and kind of glues the window shut?

A vent window wasn't opening on my 2006 GC, but I could hear the motor assembly "grunting" when I pushed the switch to close. I slipped a plastic pry tool behind the rear edge of the glass, to create some outward force (it'd be much easier to have a helper gently push out on the rear edge of glass). Then I flipped the switch back and forth a few times, and it suddenly opened, and is working again. (It's also possible my switch is bad, though I did replace that less than a year ago because the driver window switch was sticking in the auto-down position).

If dirty commutators in underused motors are to blame, perhaps giving the window a manual nudge is enough to get the motor started, in some cases. Then it can be exercised a bit, to clean the brush/commutator interface.

I sat inside the van to clean the weatherstripping and the glass that contacts it with a damp rag. Hope that keeps it from sticking again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My 2000 Chrysler T & C broke off the mounting ears - the motor still worked, but htere was no way to fasten it back in place. I tied it shut with a bungie cord until last spring, when I was parked downtown in a small town near here (at the tax office, actually, so it was April), and either that rear glass spontaneously shattered, or a rock was thrown through it. I go the glass & motor complete in a salvage for $40.00. I have that vehicle for sale now, and if it doesn't sell in a week or so, I'll be parting it out. (It is rusted out, but still less than 130 k miles.)

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
27 Participants
rolo
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing