The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Town and Country S. my rear Ves went out on me all of a sudden, I replaced the monitor cables and the screens came back, but it still wont play dvd's in the back. Remote works to change source on both screens, headphones won't hook up for sound either. The radio is a 430N rhb and that plays the DVD on the radio LCD screen and will play through speakers in the van but wont sound through headphones or play the video on the back 2 monitors. The Blue-ray player runs the DVD's but won't play through the van speakers, won't play on the radio LCD or the 2 rear monitors and won't play sound through the headphones. I've also hooked up the firestick into the HDMI port in the rear and video plays beautifully but the headphones wouldn't hook up for the sound.

I am at a loss we replaced the monitor cables and replaced the Blu-ray dvd player twice and still does the same thing. The remote works through the Infrared but the headphones that used to work with it will not hook up. PLEASE HELP my sanity needs this back and so do my kids. Took it to dealer explained all this and asked them to hook it up to trouble shoot, their answer was to replace the whole top module and DVD player for almost 2000.00 they didn't troubleshoot anything.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I dont think the 2 Monitors are the problem. MAy be the rhb has a problem. Do you have the latest Firmware update for this device installed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the 430n rhb radio and that didn’t work either. I’m thinking it has to be wiring but not sure that’s the only thing that hasn’t been replaced. The remote works great for the monitor and ves but the headphones won’t play sound

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am I was working fine then one day the radio dvd stopped playing in the back but the blue ray would still play then from one day to the next they both stopped transmitting sound and picture to the back. We replaced the monitor ribbons which brought the screens back from black. I can control everything with the remotes on both monitors it just won’t show video in the back or sound. Even sound in headphones for the radio functions. But the radio dvd will play video and sound through van speakers but blue ray will not but it functions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is doing the same. All functions work except audio thru IR headphones and video from DVD to the rear screen. The rear screen shows fm radio stations and input info... Please help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had to replace both ribbon cables on my 2008 T&C. When I put the overhead console back up and had everything hooked up, I had the same problem. I was able to switch the source on the rear screen, but the dvd source would not show the video. I took it back down and reseated the ribbon cable. I put it back up and it worked perfectly after that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Town and Country and it came without remote control or headphones and a not working screen, replace the ribbon cable for the screen and now the VES and screen works even when playing a dvd disc from the front radio (video and sound works) but when connecting an external player to the video aux input ( yellow, red and white RCA connector on the frame by the left) sliding door, video works but no sound, I was thinking that maybe there is no sound because I need the remote control to tell the overhead dvd to use the IR headphone or to use the sound at the radio speakers.

Can someone confirm if it is possible to send the sound to the radio speakers when using and external video source using the video aux input.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Problem solved:

The remote control is not needed to send the audio from the video aux input to the radio, I discovered by accident today when I was trying to set something on the radio, what happened is that on the Menu hard key on the right side of the radio you can choose what is going to be to sent to the rear screen but on the left side of the radio there is the Media hard key and basically you can choose what you want to listen regardless of the what you see on the screen so in my case needed to assign the sound from the aux input (showing the RCA icon if an external source is connected and ON) to the VES screen.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,222 Posts
How much to change it? Is it hard to do yourself ?
Welcome to the forum. The ribbon cables aren't hard to change out, start with the second row player because that is the main monitor. Should that one fail the 3'rd row will not be working either until the second row gets fixed, so go the 2'nd row.

Here is the step by step video if you have the sunroof: 5'th generation VES Ribbon Replacement

Here is the step by step if you don't have the sunroof (aka the long overhead console) 5'th Gen VES Ribbon Replacement (Non-sunroof)

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much to change it? Is it hard to do yourself ?
I agree with everything Michalb said. Here’s a link to one of the cables available on Amazon: HD VES TV Screen Repair Ribbon Cable Dodge Chrysler Town and Country 2013-2018 Amazon.com: HD VES TV Screen Repair Ribbon Cable Dodge Chrysler Town and Country 2013-2018: Car Electronics

I’ve replaced mine twice. The first time it took me 2 hours. The second time it took me about an hour. If you have good instructions and the appropriate tools you could do it in under an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts