The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear wiper turns it self on erratically. Sometimes it is none stop and others it is intermittent. It seems when it is cold it reacts more frequently. This all happens when the wiper is turned off. This is a 1998 Plym Gran Voyager. It seems to me there may be a short of some sort at the relay, however where is the relay?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance......Paul

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
If you haven't already got one, go purchase a Haynes Repair Manual for the 1996-2000 (Gen. III) Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan, Plymouth Voyager/Grand Voyager. It will have all the information and diagrams you'll need to help diagnose this problem.

·
5000 Club
5,777 Posts
3rd generation vans don't have a rear wiper relay. It's controled soley by the switches and the Body Control Module (BCM). Try pulling the IOD fuse in the PDC (Chrysler lingo for a fuse box next to the battery) for a minute. This will reboot the BCM. Disconnecting the battery will accomplish the same.

Chrysler1924 is right. A repair manual will pay for itself in no time. Though they aren't all inclusive, I recommend them. Trouble is, if everyone bought one, forum traffic would dwindle to a trickle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wiper not fixed

I disconnected teh Battery for about an hour, I cleand the connects and all that as well. Still the wiper is erratic. I have no idea where to go now. Any and all comments are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Weak battery will cause this (I have had that problem) and lots of other weird things to happen as if current is flowing all over the place and your vehicle is haunted. This type of problem emerged with the Body Control Computer.
Is your battery over 5 years old?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wiper erratic...

The battery is just a year or two old. I cleaned the terminals and the posts. I have not charged the battery though. Perhaps I will try that., But it seems fishy, I also removed the IOD fuse for 30 minutes or more. Now I notice every time I turn the ignition key to start the rear wiper cycles.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
Any other symptoms like dash gauges going wacky?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No other symptoms. ALthough it may have stopped. I will check in a few minutes. WHen I got home from wokr today I tried turning the ignition on and off a few times and it did not work erratically ( It used to.)

I am still open fo rany suggestions at all.......

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Chrysler1924 is right. A repair manual will pay for itself in no time. Though they aren't all inclusive, I recommend them. Trouble is, if everyone bought one, forum traffic would dwindle to a trickle.
I think, to be clear, THAT would only happen if everyone had and read a CHRYSLER Factory Service Manual... you know... the ones that are like several hundred pages long and cost $100.

Because, I have a Haynes/Chilton manual and refer to it often but still rely heavily on this forum!

·
5000 Club
5,777 Posts
I think, to be clear, THAT would only happen if everyone had and read a CHRYSLER Factory Service Manual... you know... the ones that are like several hundred pages long and cost $100.

Because, I have a Haynes/Chilton manual and refer to it often but still rely heavily on this forum!
Ya good point. A basic manual leaves a lot to be guessed at but they do answer many questions.

Bought a Toyota RAV 4 in late 06. Went to buy the factory manuals and they wanted $660. I passed. Luckily all the thing has needed is oil and filters. I'm waiting for Mitchells to come out with them.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
The Haynes Manual helps a lot for most repairs I've attempted. I recommend it. Their troubleshooting section is helpful as well plus their information on torque specifications and their abbreviated, easy to read, maintenance schedules.
I also recommend using your local library. They have subscriptions to a lot of information on vehicles, including the Chilton's Manuals for example (here they do), which you can access on your home computer using your library card # and a code (last 4 digits of your telephone # likely).

·
Registered
48 Posts
My rear wiper turns it self on erratically. Sometimes it is none stop and others it is intermittent. It seems when it is cold it reacts more frequently. This all happens when the wiper is turned off. This is a 1998 Plym Gran Voyager. It seems to me there may be a short of some sort at the relay, however where is the relay?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance......Paul

Paul, Here's something I've found...see if this applies to you. I hope this helps....Goaler :

Vehicle Issue: The wipers will turn on by themself when the ignition key is turned on. The multifunction wiper switch is in the OFF position. The multifunction switch may have been just replaced.;This case is not to be confused with other wiper problems like a ghost wipe, will not park, won't turn on, or intermittent modes inoperative.

System or Component: Activates / Operates by Itself / Ghost Cycle,Stuck,Will Not Unlock / Disengage;Customer Concern (No DTCs),Part Caused New Problem;Wiper / Washer System;Interior;Yes - Continuously

Recommendation :The most likely cause is the wrong switch has been installed. The 96-97 NS's use a differrnt switch that the 98-00 NS's. The resistance values are totally different. If the switch values are ok, then the problem enlies elsewhere (stuck relay, bcm, wiper park switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goaler, thanks for your reply. I have a problem with my rear wiper, both going on when ignition is turned on and a ghost issue as well.

Ther has been no replacement of any switches either, It just started. For a few times last night he wiper did not come on with the ignition, but today it did, go figure...

Again any help... is greatly appreciated.
Paul

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
I suspect the wiper switch itself is worm and malfunctioning, but that would be too simple, considering today's technology.
The BCM (Body Control Module) may be malfunctioning if this situation applies: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl671e.htm
It seems that a lot of electrical problems relate back to the BCM, and the wiper problem appears not that uncommon.

Reactions: michaelsurfs

·
5000 Club
5,777 Posts
I suspect the wiper switch itself is worm and malfunctioning, but that would be too simple, considering today's technology.
The BCM (Body Control Module) may be malfunctioning if this situation applies: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl671e.htm
It seems that a lot of electrical problems relate back to the BCM, and the wiper problem appears not that uncommon.

Tell me about it. A year after I bought my 96, front wipers would cycle on their own. Dealer changed the multifunction switch then the BCM and all was well...for a couple years. Though now, 10 years on, they still cycle now and then when I start up, the cycling has slowly decreased to a tolerable level. At it's worst, I would pull the fuse and press on. Luckily during the summer we rarely get rain.

As you noted, the BCM and it's CCD data bus are the root cause of most of the long list of electrical problems on these vans yet you see little in the way of recalls. A few TSBs have popped up but, who pays for those most of the time - we do. Unless folks report these problems to the NHTSA, a recall won't happen. Until then, folks will buy these vans and suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Rear wiper intermittentBCM problem

I burnt out a rear wiper motor waiting for this problem to go away. I can't tell you how much this prolem shortened the service life of the rear wiper motor.I put a new rear wiper motor in with the same problem continuing. I bought and installed a new Body Control Module from Chrysler in spite of the useless warranty. I did this because I got a replacement from a wrecker but that BCM was pooched as well.
The new BCM solved the problem and has been good for about 4 years now. (Knock On Wood). Chrysler electrical sucks to say the least. Keep all your connections clean and let that current flow. Corroded connections will drive you crazy with all sorts of intermittent problems and then will eventually pass no current and fail completely. These corroded areas (terminals) also create high resistance hot spots that may burn up when high current tries to pass. This will usually happen in a very unaccessible area to help brighten your day.
Don't dally with your electrics. Knock the problems down as they come up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have the exact problem with my rear wiper. Goes on when I first start up the car and if its cold the unit will keep running until the car gets warm.
I did notice that if I turn on the intermittent rear wiper the wiper now stops!
Go figure.
So for now I simply turn on the intermittent wiper until the car warms up and then its OK.

Just started doing it about a week after my door locks stopped working with the door switch.
Still works with the Key FOB though.

I'm thinking the BCM is bad.

I agree, the Voyager electrical sucks. About time to put an end to Chrysler. No more bail outs since its no longer an American company.
Should have done it back in the Lee days when he said, if you can find a better car buy it! We all did! A Honda, A Toyota, A Ford, A ....

LOL.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,511 Posts
I had stuff like this on my old 90 and it was the switch. I got one out of a junker and it worked fine from then on. If you don't want to fool with it, see my post for a rear air deflector, which if you Rain X your rear window, you will never use your rear wiper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.