The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that has a remanufactured rear wiper motor I recently had to replace because it stopped working. That one was installed last year. This new one I installed (remanufactured) works but only turns about 1/2 turn, stops then goes another 1/2 turn, stops etc. until it goes back to its normal start position. I am wondering if it is a defective wiper motor or if there is a relay that may have gone bad causing this? I can't find any info about the relay's for the rear wipers anywhere.

·
Latent car nut
9,003 Posts
I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that has a remanufactured rear wiper motor I recently had to replace because it stopped working. That one was installed last year. This new one I installed (remanufactured) works but only turns about 1/2 turn, stops then goes another 1/2 turn, stops etc. until it goes back to its normal start position. I am wondering if it is a defective wiper motor or if there is a relay that may have gone bad causing this? I can't find any info about the relay's for the rear wipers anywhere.
Does this happen in full wipe mode, just in intermittent mode, or both modes?

·
5000 Club
5,722 Posts
No on/off or high/low relays in the rear wiper circuit as there are in the front circuit. The rear motor gets constant power from the accessory relay. The BCM along with the motor park switch in the motor assembly control the functions.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The rear wiper does have a "pulse" mode but it's not the same as the front wipers where you can adjust the time span on the pulse.

The rear wiper has a pre-set timed pulse mode.

My suggestion to the OP is to remove the the wiper arm from the shaft, then run the motor for a few cycles, turn OFF the switch, then replace the wiper arm in the parked position and try again.

If it still malfunctions then the motor is bad.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
If you mean you just installed it and it does these things then you probably have the wiper arm on wrong. This happened to me when I replaced my front wipers.

When I turned on the first wiper it did a bunch of crazy things.

I ran the motors w/o arms attached so it parked in the correct position, then attached the arms.Worked fine then.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am certain that the problem is with your reman motors. I had the same issue -- gone through like 3 of them lasting a few months to a year. Eventually gave up and bought a new unit from an online dealer -- has worked trouble free for the past 6 years. The issue is that that the magnets in the motor go weak. While the reman companies clean the reducer gears, etc, which reduces friction and makes the wiper unit work for a while, they do not address the core issue that the electric motor is not as powerful as it should be.

Just get a NEW unit from an online dealer ~$60 or so...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is no full wipe mode as RIP states. Just intermittent on/off mode. One thing I can do, is if I hold the button to turn on the rear wiper it will do its full motion but then stop randomly in the middle as I let go. Of course, its spewing out wiper fluid as I am doing this, but I tried that as a test. I tend to think its just the remanufactured motor as user97 states below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you are correct user97 with the reman motor. When I pulled it out of the box it looked "old or worn" which can often mean nothing. But in this case I think you are correct. I'm gonna return this one and look at new ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried as you said when I first installed the motor and it clearly only moves a limited distance. It also never goes back to the "home" position.

·
Super Moderator
24,194 Posts
The rear wiper on my 2002 GC does something similar when the temperatures are cold, like -10C and below, and will work great once things warm. I attribute this to the motor being somewhat weak, maybe just dirty in need of cleaning, and can't overcome the extra effort required when friction/resistance is increased by the cold.

The overload protection on the motor kicks in maybe, and if I physically help the blade along, I can get it back to the park position. When temperatures at the blade/glass interface and the motor itself, are more favorable, I will turn it back on.

The functions for the 2002 are "intermittent" and "full on" whereas for the 2007 it's "intermittent" only. The 2007 has never been a problem, motor is strong. The problem with the 2002 has been going on for over 5 years but wiper still works fine in warmer weather. I live with it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There is no full wipe mode as RIP states. Just intermittent on/off mode. One thing I can do, is if I hold the button to turn on the rear wiper it will do its full motion but then stop randomly in the middle as I let go. Of course, its spewing out wiper fluid as I am doing this, but I tried that as a test. I tend to think its just the remanufactured motor as user97 states below.
If it works as long as you hold the switch down then the problem appears to be inside the switch?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've experienced the same thing on our 2007, which although it's the same body as our 2005, the wiring to the rear wiper is different. Our 2007 was even more weird because the radio would cycle on and off as the wiper button was held on. I discovered that I had a bad splice S360 somewhere in the vehicle's wiring after ensuring fuse 5 had power out.. Unfortunately the Dodge Service Docs did not provide a location for this splice although most others were illustrated. I was able to get the rear wiper and the radio to function properly by bridging a wire from wire F302 GR/PK at the radio harness to the front cigar lighter wire F306 DB/PK.
I checked the 2005 Electrical Schematic and you might find you are missing a constant 12 Volts Positive at Pin 2 on the rear wiper motor when the ignition key is turned on.. Ensure Fuse 11 in the IPM is Ok and has 12 volts input from the Accessory Relay. The power to Pin 2 on the rear wiper motor passes through splice S323 but I do not know its location. Perhaps there's break in that line? If there 12 V at pin 2 whenever the ignition is turned on it appears you have another bad motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts