The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 2013 Chrysler T & C and a few more
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 L has developed a new problem. The Amber ABS Warning Light was been on for a long time and my scanner codes revealed two ABS Sensors have no output. Recently, the Red Brake Warning Light has also came on. I'm familiar with repairing these vans, especially the bad grounds issues. The Chrysler/Dodge official manual indicates that the Red Brake Warning Light can be turned on by the Low Brake Fluid Sensor in the reservoir and/or the Parking Brake Switch. I've checked both circuits and they appear to be operating as normal.
The manual states if AMBER and RED are both on to "Refer to appropriate Diagnostic information".
There's little information there except an electrical schematic for the ABS system CAB (Controller) and ICU (Integrated Control Unit)
I've had this van since new, it has little rust (chainsaw oiled) and the brakes still operate like they always have without ABS.
Any others have this experience?

·
fix it if you can
5,599 Posts
Welcome aboard,
The two sensors that are faulting are likely rear ABS sensors, thus CAB lost electronic proportioning ability and lit the red BRAKE light. Fix one or both sensors and it'll go away. (ABS light is for sensor input, will only go away with all 4 working)
For ABS specific diagnostics refer to CAB service manual

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks atoman, I appreciate the information. I did not have the CAM service manual and will rescan the van soon to troubleshoot. Rusty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to scan the van today but the ABS codes are still the same two as they have been for a long time before the Brake Red Warning Light came on recently. The codes are:
18 FE Wheel Sensor LF Input Circuit Failure
20 FE Wheel Sensor RF Input Circuit Failure
I disconnected the DG/OR wire which runs from the Brake Fluid Level Switch and checked it had absolutely no ground on it where it leads to the IPM.
I also disconnected the DG/WT wire from the Parking Brake Switch and checked it had absolutely no ground on it where it leads to the Instrument Cluster.
The ABS Fuses 9 and 21 are not blown.
Erasing the ABS codes makes no difference...The Amber ABS and Red Brake remain illuminated and the van's brakes stop as normal (no ABS)
Next I'll check the underside of the IPM for corrosion and a good G100 ground leading to pins 1 and 16 on the CAB connector via S141.
I'll also check for +12 Volts from the IPM leading to pins 9 and 24 on the CAB connector.
Rectangle Schematic Slope Line Font

·
fix it if you can
5,599 Posts
18 FE Wheel Sensor LF Input Circuit Failure
20 FE Wheel Sensor RF Input Circuit Failure
With two fronts not working, CAB loses electronic proportioning - front rear fluid pressure control/distribution ability (and lights 'BRAKE' warning light)
disconnected the DG/OR wire which runs from the Brake Fluid Level Switch and checked it had absolutely no ground on it where it leads to the IPM.
Brake Fluid Level Switch is fed ground on BK/OR (20ga) wire from G300 per 8w-35-3 schematic in FSM, G300 is located at "Left B pillar"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help, Atoman. I had intermittent electrical problems with G300 over 10 years ago when the nut needed to be tightened. Perhaps I should really clean it and retighten. I'll be looking again later this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts