The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally managed to figure out the clear information on how to retrieve the codes from the 1998-2000 [2nd Edition, 3rd Generation] Chrysler minivans, verses the 1996-1997 [1st Edition, 3rd Generation] Chrysler minivans. There has been a lot of discussion, debate and confusion on the "key dance" with regards to the "how-to" and I finally have the official How-To. Perhaps a global moderator can make this a Sticky at the top of the 3rd Generation forum for easy access/reference.

**This does NOT work on 1996-1997 models.

How to Retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes if Your Check Engine Light is Illuminated

Vehicles: 1998-2000 Chrysler Minivans

1.) Firmly apply the parking brake.
2.) Place key in the ignition.
3.) Utilizing your left hand, place your thumb over *BOTH* the "TRIP" and "RESET" buttons on the dashboard gauge cluster, pressing them both down.
4.) Utilizing your right hand, turn the key to the "ACC" position [the position between "LOCK" and "RUN"] and continue holding the two buttons down for FIVE full seconds.
5.) When you release the buttons, the odometer should be displaying the "TRIP" mileage.
6.) Press and release the "TRIP" button.
7.) The odometer will now display all the diagnostic trouble codes in order.

To find out what the codes you've now retrieved mean, refer to:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I finally managed to figure out the clear information on how to retrieve the codes from the 1998-2000 [2nd Edition, 3rd Generation] Chrysler minivans, verses the 1996-1997 [1st Edition, 3rd Generation] Chrysler minivans. There has been a lot of discussion, debate and confusion on the "key dance" with regards to the "how-to" and I finally have the official How-To. Perhaps a global moderator can make this a Sticky at the top of the 3rd Generation forum for easy access/reference.

**This does NOT work on 1996-1997 models.

How to Retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes if Your Check Engine Light is Illuminated

Vehicles: 1998-2000 Chrysler Minivans

1.) Firmly apply the parking brake.
2.) Place key in the ignition.
3.) Utilizing your left hand, place your thumb over *BOTH* the "TRIP" and "RESET" buttons on the dashboard gauge cluster, pressing them both down.
4.) Utilizing your right hand, turn the key to the "ACC" position [the position between "LOCK" and "RUN"] and continue holding the two buttons down for FIVE full seconds.
5.) When you release the buttons, the odometer should be displaying the "TRIP" mileage.
6.) Press and release the "TRIP" button.
7.) The odometer will now display all the diagnostic trouble codes in order.

To find out what the codes you've now retrieved mean, refer to:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html
I keep having to chase your post for the key dance and when I inform some one where its at they go to where its to and its not there. stay where your at and I'll come where your to!:biggrin:

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can a global moderator make this thread a sticky?

·
Banned
521 Posts
I did everything you said exactly as stated on a 1999 that had a check engine light on. I didn't get any codes. The gauges did all their exercises but no engine performance codes came out. So what did I do wrong? The scanner showed I had a bad EGR transducer but this button thing didn't give me any code?

·
Registered
913 Posts
You may have turned the key too far. If it was in the RUN position instead of the ACC position the instrument pod check will run.

·
Banned
521 Posts
I had all the diagnostics of the cluster show up Code 0, Code 1 etc. got a 999 message. I'll try it again. If I can figure this one out that would be pretty cool. I'm so use to the key on-off routine. This idea is way better than GM's code key which a paperclip worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I just tried this but instead of using the acc position on the key switch I used the key on position and all I got was code 55 and if I remember correctly that means no codes. I was wondering if I would loose my trip info but when I turned off the key and turned it back on I hadn't lost my trip info which is great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
on my 2000 grand voyager i can turn the key of and on three times and it flashes the check engine light and just need to count the blinks.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just tried this but instead of using the acc position on the key switch I used the key on position and all I got was code 55 and if I remember correctly that means no codes. I was wondering if I would loose my trip info but when I turned off the key and turned it back on I hadn't lost my trip info which is great.
Code 55 means the battery was disconnected within the last 50 starts.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
I see Princess Auto has ODBll Code Reader [MS409] on sale October 27 - Nov.1st. They say it works on all 1996 and on OBDll equipped vehicles including new CAN protocol.
Reg. Price: $199.99. Sale Price: $88.88. Saving: $111.00.
Limit of 2 per Customer. Their product # is 8218133. Weight: 2.2 lbs.

I wonder if that is a good unit to purchase. :ask_wsign

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I see Princess Auto has ODBll Code Reader [MS409] on sale October 27 - Nov.1st. They say it works on all 1996 and on OBDll equipped vehicles including new CAN protocol.
Reg. Price: $199.99. Sale Price: $88.88. Saving: $111.00.
Limit of 2 per Customer. Their product # is 8218133. Weight: 2.2 lbs.

I wonder if that is a good unit to purchase. :ask_wsign
Most of the electrical products that princess auto sells is garbage that nobody else will sell. Do yourself a favor and save yourself from the aggravation you will encounter having to return it. :jpshakehe

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
It's weird. I can try every combination of key dancing and my van refuses to give me a code out of the odometer display. I've never even been able to get the check engine light to flash even if I purposely set a code...

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
It's weird. I can try every combination of key dancing and my van refuses to give me a code out of the odometer display. I've never even been able to get the check engine light to flash even if I purposely set a code...
Funny, because the 3 off/ons I've used over the years on different Chrysler products always worked starting in about 1987.

This allpar.com site talks about other methods though such as 5 times versus 3.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Most of the electrical products that princess auto sells is garbage that nobody else will sell. Do yourself a favor and save yourself from the aggravation you will encounter having to return it. :jpshakehe
This site has the same tool. Seems okay to me.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Funny, because the 3 off/ons I've used over the years on different Chrysler products always worked starting in about 1987.

This allpar.com site talks about other methods though such as 5 times versus 3.
My van must enjoy being the most stubborn pile of ____ that I have ever worked on. At least the drivetrain is good so codes don't come too often.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
My van must enjoy being the most stubborn pile of ____ that I have ever worked on. At least the drivetrain is good so codes don't come too often.
Any fuses missing that might be powering your code retrieval circuit? Is this problem peculiar to your Van or the model year?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Any fuses missing that might be powering your code retrieval circuit? Is this problem peculiar to your Van or the model year?
It seems to be just my van. People often mention getting to codes with the key dance around the 3rd gen forum.

Weird as it is for a 3rd gen, I have zero electrical issues and everything works properly. No fuse or switch issues anywhere. Heck the only actual engine light it has ever had was when the trans went out and started slipping last year. The light comes and goes every few months with an egr flow code and that's when I noticed I couldn't get the codes with the dance.

·
Registered
547 Posts
this thread should be about more than diagnostic codes how about all other button tricks, like the one for calibrating the hvac controls, took me a while to find it:

With engine on set blower motor to high, set mode position knob to panel
(i.e. full left), open all A/C outlets, set temperature to cold (both levers
if so equipped).

Now press the wash and rear wiper buttons on the A/C panel simultaneously
for 5 seconds (until all LED's light).  This should get the test started.
Assorted lights on this panel will flash as different tests are run.
Eventually if the tests are passed the rear wiper LED should be the only
light flashing.  Push the rear wiper button to exit test mode and you should
be home free.

this is the thread I found it in:http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=517&highlight=lights

any other trickes that one should know?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
andyg - Your van and my van must be colluding on this. I have tried just about every key dance and button combination I've seen posted anywhere and haven't had any success with codes (other than the instrument cluster codes ending in 999 and the gauge test). I haven't actually had a check-engine light on yet, but also haven't been able to get the 55 or any other "end of codes" indication either.

- G

·
Registered
408 Posts
You guys should check to see if you Malfunction Indicator Lamp bulb is good! Are all your other instrument panel bulbs good?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
20 Participants
sc69
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing