The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Didn't I read here a couple of years ago that the oil capacity changed, for the 3.3 and 3.8 engines, to 5 quarts, at some point after MY 2005?

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The 3rd generation 3.3/3.8 vans have always req'd 5 quarts...

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I've never dry filled a 41te, but I believe its 12 quarts.

I emptied one out as much as possible when doing the trans swap on mine and it took in 10 quarts when I filled it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, fuel capacity is 20 gallons, but why does my fuel gauge and computer think it's 18? I got it down to 20 miles to go and it only took 17 gallons at the pump!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
OK, fuel capacity is 20 gallons, but why does my fuel gauge and computer think it's 18? I got it down to 20 miles to go and it only took 17 gallons at the pump!
Because the total volume of the tank is 20 gallons. You can run it down 19 gallons or so before the pump runs dry. Unless you constanty wanted to run out of gas, the sending unit shows its time for gas so you can still drive to the station.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So why wouldn't they just tell the consumer the tank volume is 18 gallons so they don't think something's wonky? My old '92 Lumina let me use all 20 of its gallons to my detriment lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not true, I had a FSM for my wife's 2000 T&C AWD LXI 3.0 L. It included all three, IIRCC. The book got stolen by one of the garages. Damn thieves.

·
Registered
123 Posts
AWD T &C / Caravan

differential fluid 80W-90 ( .7 liter or 1.48 pints )
power transfer unit 80W-90 ( 1.15 liter or 1.22 QT )
Overrunning Clutch ATF +4 ( .58 liter or 1.22 pints )
For the rear differential this has got to either be a missprint or I have something different on my vehicle.

I just drained mine and a LOT more fluid came out than that. I'm not even sure I got it all sucked out. I put .58l back in and couldn't even feel the level when I put my finger in the inspection hole. I thought that fluid was supposed to come up to the bottom of the inspection hole on a rear differential. That's standard practice. To get it up to the hole with the van on level jackstands it took closer to 1.5l or more. Nearly 3x what it specified.

I spilled a bit of fluid so I would say closer to 1.6l and I probably had .1l I didn't get sucked out. There is no drain plug, contrary to what it says. I'm thinking, by looking at how much I had in there, and how much it took to fill up to the bottom of the inspection hole (I pretty much thougth this was standard practice) it took about 1.7l

The rear differential is HUGE -about 4-5 times as large as the over-running clutch. I can't believe it takes that little fluid. I wish I would have measured how much I had drained out before I dumped it in the recycle can.

I would have thought that if there was a mistake in the manuals that someone would have mentioned it by now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know what the transmission fluid capacity is? I just had the trans serviced at the dealer (pan dropped/cleaned, filter changed, and reseal). Paperwork showed charge for 6 quarts of ATF+4. I was just wondering what the entire system holds, as I knew dropping the pan wouldn't get all the fluid out.
I just dropped my pan and changed the filter. Manual says add 4qts and check...... I only had to add another half quart to show good. That's not to say there couldn't have been some fluid trapped in the system somewhere. I gave it a good 2 hours to drain.

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
I just dropped my pan and changed the filter. Manual says add 4qts and check...... I only had to add another half quart to show good. That's not to say there couldn't have been some fluid trapped in the system somewhere. I gave it a good 2 hours to drain.
Your filter and whatever the anti drain back valve retains, would still be in there, likely between .5 to .75 quarts depending on filter size.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
25 Participants
Jeepman
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing