The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our 2017 grand caravan remote will open the doors when we are 600 ft away inside a store. I quit carrying my remote in my pocket as too many times it would open doors without my knowledge. Why can't the engineers put an off switch on the remote. The RFI cases made to fit the remotes are too bulky. I love the convenience, but there are too may thieves looking for a raised tailgate or open side door. The only way to prevent this is to wear a lanyard aroiund my neck with the remote.... No Way!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem. Key fob in pocket with a few keys on a separate ring. Came out in the morning and my passenger sliding door was open! Nothing missing, so I closed it using the remote. Then 2 weeks later, the Driver's side was open! Same thing, nothing missing, but it had rained and made a mess. The remote now hangs on a hook by the back door! I carry the remote in a pocket all by itself when out & about. The on/off switch idea would probably work. Thought I was alone on this problem!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,038 Posts
our 2017 grand caravan remote will open the doors when we are 600 ft away inside a store. I quit carrying my remote in my pocket as too many times it would open doors without my knowledge.

Very unlikely, remotes are not that powerful.

Open your remote and see if all the contact disks are in place, if not, just buy a remote or remote case and switch the guts.

I believe your doors are open even before you get inside the store.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My wife has this problem with the fobs, but I never do. Figured out that the buttons were getting accidenttly ipushed by the way she carried the keys. Changed the way she carries them and no more issues. I also switched with her because the buttons were very sensitive. You only needed to brush your finger on the button to unlock it. My fob required me to push the button hard. We traded. Funny, the buttons aren't sensitive anymore and hers are more sensitive than when I had it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The doors are not open before we go in the store. My wife was sitting in the van with ignition off 3 weeks after we got it waiting on me in Dr. office. Side door opened while I was inside about 300ft away. A small slider switch would not be that dificult to build in the fob. We set down in a restaurant and she is checking on the car at least 2 times during the meal to be sure the doors are not open. When the weather is cool our dog rides everyewhere with us and this creates more anxiety about the doors. And NO, the dog does not open the doors. It is a poor design, the remote shoud not work over 100 ft away at the max. We live in a rural area, we park the van in a shed 400 ft from the house when we have severe weather, the doors will open when the remote is in the house.. I once started the car 600 ft away just to see how far the remote would work. This is just too powerful!!!!! We spent a day drying out the passenger seat when the sliding door came open sitting in the driveway when it was raining. Surely others have this same problem.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've had my remote start trigger and doors open while at work because of bumping up against things with my key clipped to my belt. I've considered getting one of those clip-on fob button covers. But I agree that a simple switch to disable the buttons would be a nice feature.

Loose contacts like Levy was talking about will make the problem worse as they will contact when the loose piece wiggles into the right spot. Replacing my contact pad made a bit of difference in how often it happens, but it still happens occasionally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts