The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

New to this forum - But I hope someone out there can assist me.

I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan with no power locks or windows. Very basic simple van that I bought used in 2007. It only has 13,000 miles and is in great shape.

I am wanting to install power door locks so my wife can hit a keychain button when she approaches the car with our daughter. I have decent electrical knowledge and have built a classic truck etc...so I know I can do this. I have also found a kit on JC Whitney for either a 2 or 4 door.

My only question is without existing wiring into the two front doors or sliders there is no wiring sleve or conduit style device between the body and the doors. With a sliding door I have no idea how that would even work. My in-laws have power sliding doors on their 2005 and they have a track with wiring on it at the bottom but I have no idea how this would work in my situation.

As I look through the kits from JCW they look like thay are designed for a car only. I called the dealer and they told me they probably couldn't help and it would need to be for an aftermarket kit and taken to a local shop to retrofit it.

I don't care to do the work myself. I am just not sure how to make this work witout the wire chase and sliding doors also seem very complicated.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry - Everyone...Upon closer inpspection - I do have a small track on the sliders with existing wiring going into the door and rubber boots into the front doors. I am wondering now if the solenoids are actually in the doors just not hooked up to anything? What else would thos wires be there for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
after market keyless entry

i have purchased and installed the keyless entry systems from jc whitney on several different types of vehicles with great success, running the wires for the front door actuators can be achieved by running them through the same rubber boot that the door speaker wiring runs through. the sliding doors do present a problem if they do not have the flexible wire channel present, one possibility would be to check your local junkyard for a 2001-2006 van that you could get the wire channels off of the sliding doors(complete with the mounting and existing harness so you don't have to mess with fishing the wires through it). you can also check with your local car audio shops, best buy,hh greg, etc. you can get keyless entree installed usually under $200 even with the special add on kits they would have to put on since your van lacks the slider harnesses. hope this helps

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
I agree with z-man, the best option would be to look for a 4th gen in a junkyard with the tracks and use them in yours for the sliding doors. Anything else would end up binding or getting caught in the door track. There may be an aftermarket option out there though that is similar. The door lock actuators would not be in the doors if it did not come with them, but the wiring may be (for the windows also).

·
Registered
991 Posts
Leave well enough alone. You're just looking for problems. We lived for years without power locks. If it's really THAT important I would look for a different vehicle but no way in heck would I put anything aftermarket like this, remote starts, alarms, etc. in one of these or ANY car for that matter. Electrical systems and computers are too touchy today to take chances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Power Door Locks

Leave well enough alone. You're just looking for problems. We lived for years without power locks. If it's really THAT important I would look for a different vehicle but no way in heck would I put anything aftermarket like this, remote starts, alarms, etc. in one of these or ANY car for that matter. Electrical systems and computers are too touchy today to take chances.
I agree with you - in fact the HHR I drive everyday has remote locks and I don't even carry the key chain thing. I do it all manually because it is simpler.

My wife, on the other hand, drives the van and she is the one who has to get our 2 year old daughter in and out and load groceries and such and she is the one who wants it. I might just talk her into power locks on the two front doors only. Although - if the wiring is in place would this be a much easier thing to do? Just get the components needed solenoid and control sensor...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts