The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Battery idiot light came on last week.

Wife stopped at Autozone , who told her battery was overcharging.

Loose insulation behind alternator was flaked by the serpentine belt,sucked into the alternator over time, clogging it, causing it to overheat and frying the voltage regulator.

Take a look at your firewall & cut away insulation that could fall onto serp belt.

This happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It appears to be a common problem. I also noticed insulation falling on the alternator of my 2000 Grand Caravan. I managed to adhere it back with 3M Hi-Strength 90 adhesive.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,538 Posts
Battery idiot light came on last week.

Wife stopped at Autozone , who told her battery was overcharging.

Loose insulation behind alternator was flaked by the serpentine belt,sucked into the alternator over time, clogging it, causing it to overheat and frying the voltage regulator.

Take a look at your firewall & cut away insulation that could fall onto serp belt.

This happen to anyone else?
Probably not.

How can it fry the voltage regulator? Voltage regulator is not even close to the alternator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I replaced the heads on my T&C 3.8, I had the alternator out as well as the windshield wiper tray. I had easy access to the sagging insulation at that point, so I glued it back up to the underside of the firewall using numerous clamps. The stuff stayed in place, no issues.

·
Vanless member
2,087 Posts
I changed my alternator last week. That sagging insulation was smothering the old one. I cut it out with scissors.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
On our 98 we never had any problem with drooping insulation. In fact, it's one of the few cars we had that never needed an alternator.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,229 Posts
Regulator is inside the ECU. Did you mean the diode bridge? That happened on mine once during a very hot and humid spell years ago, when I was trying to get the A/C system working again. I think the extra electrical load, the failing/sticking radiator fan I unknowingly had at the time, and the intense heat under the hood teamed up to actually MELT the solder on the diodes! At that point I just bought a whole alternator from a store and swapped it out. I haven't done anything with the insulation that I remember, but I will check on it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts