The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Misty's Magical Maintenance Tips # 318

I just removed my Intake manifold for some routine service.

A tricky part of this job (after you've removed the wiper tray assembly), is the bracket on the back of the intake manifold that has two sheet metal screws in it and two large 15mm bolts...one on the driver side for a support bracket and one on the passenger side for the ground strap. It also holds the O2 sensor connector.

It's really tight behind the intake so it's easier if you disconnect the EGR valve flange from the bottom of the throttle body assembly (two 13mm bolts) and the driver side intake support strut mounting bolt (15mm) on the end of the cylinder head and of course remove the air filter assembly and the alternator bracket bolts and the four 10mm bolts holding the coil pack on.

Now you can lift the intake manifold (place wadded towels over the intake ports to protect the fuel injectors and their connectors) and swing the intake forward enough to much more easily get to the bolts on the back side of the Intake manifold.

I like to stuff paper towels into each intake port to prevent non combustible materials like bolts from falling into the intake ports. But, even if you ever have something fall into one of the intake ports, don't panic. There are lots of ways to retrieve the item.
It can't go far. Just remember to never turn over the engine until you are sure it's removed. I had just uncovered my intake ports and fumble fingered a bolt and it dropped into an intake port but was easily removed with a flexible magnetic tipped parts retriever such as sold at Harbor freight.

When you're replacing the Intake Manifold, remember to leave to two 15mm bolts loose by about 4 turns so that you can align the intake support bracket mounting hole on the passenger side of the rear cylinder head...otherwise it can be off by a hair and the bolt won't start.

After you have the side intake support bolt started or tightened, you can reach around back with a 15mm wrench and finish tightening the two 15mm bolts on the back.

Knowing this could save a bit of frustration.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That bracket can stay attached to the plenum, if you unscrew from it the clamps holding the wiring harness.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I never considered that part the "Intake Manifold". Thought it was the plenum? I used my shop vac to suck anything that might have fallen into one of the ports. Just place the vacuum hose over each port hole, one at a time, and it really will pull anything out. Like left-over pieces of crumbly gasket material.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never considered that part the "Intake Manifold". Thought it was the plenum? I used my shop vac to suck anything that might have fallen into one of the ports. Just place the vacuum hose over each port hole, one at a time, and it really will pull anything out. Like left-over pieces of crumbly gasket material.
Good tip....it works even better if you remove the spark plug. I think people go into panic mode if something drops into the intake. 9 times out of 10, a little ingenuity and patience can get most anything out.

Actually, an Intake Manifold can encompass any and all parts of the Intake tract. "Mani" means many so manifold literally means "many folds" or the various ways air can enter an engine.
Plenum literally means "air Container" so either is correct. :)

I'm old school...before they were widely called "Plenums"......back when a Quadra Jet or pair of 750 Holley Double Pumpers would sit on top of a 12:1 501ci bread fetcher....and before the common use of fuel injection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts