The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I could not find the answer. I have clunking and knocking sounds coming from the front end of my 2008 T & C, especially going over uneven surfaces at slow speeds. I've read countless reports that this is often due to worn out sway bar links and sway bar bushings. I'd like to tackle the job myself. Can I get to the sway bar bushings easily using a jack/jack stands? Can't find any D.I.Y.'s on Gen 5 sway bar bushings?

·
Registered
149 Posts
My guess, and it is a guess, would be that it will be very similar to prior years. If it were me, I would jack it up and take a peak at the passenger side first.
That bushing is what cured my problem. Driver's side is more difficult.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve! Any help and advice is much appreciated! I plan on tackling the project tomorrow. I purchased the MOOG sway bar bushings. I should apply grease to the inside to keep them from squeaking right?

·
Registered
149 Posts
No, absolutely not. You need to get a box end 15mm wrench on the head of the bracket bolt. Then you need a deep well
15 mm socket for the nut. You want the sway bar to be unloaded. You may need a small bottle jack for this, but maybe not.
Unbolt the bracket , remove existing bushing. Place your new bushing is in very hot water for a minute or so to make it
easy to spread apart and put it on the bar. Slide it into position on the bar, reposition the bracket, run the nut down and get it
nice and tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks, Glad I asked! I thought the poly bushings squeaked? Now, what do I have to remove to get to the bushings? Is ther esome sort of crossmember? I recall something like this in a diagram from Autozone. I will take your advice and unload the sway bar with a jack and start with the passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
27,252 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jeepman makes a good point. I would bet that the general location is the same.

Do a forum Advanced Search for posts by petey40. On page two of the results, he has a very nice pictorial of the process.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,240 Posts
Your bushings look like this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1441236,parttype,7624 and have a two bolt bracket, I believe. Not the same set up as the 4th Generation.
Jeepman is correct, the 5th Gen vans have a completely different setup, it looks like this:

The above images are from the Autozone "Vehicle Repair Guide" for the 2008 Grand Caravan. The following link:"Stabilizer Bar (Sway Bar) & Links" should take you to the removal and installation page on the Autozone website.

Since you are only doing the bushing you do not need to do all the steps, just do the following:
-Removal Steps required: Steps 1, 2, 3, 11, 13, 14, 15 & 16.
-Install Steps required: Steps 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12 & 13

If the above link does not work you can go to Autozone.com and create an account, set your vehicle to 2008 Grand Caravan, then select: Repair Help > Vehicle Repair Guides > Suspension > Front Suspension > Stabilizer Bar Sway Bar & Links.

When I replaced the bushings on my van I broke one of the push-pins that holds the heat shield. The push-pin was an odd size (7/32" diameter) that was not available at any of the local parts stores, the part from the dealer was $3.35 each (P/N 6501948). I found the push-pins online here: http://www.automotive-hardware.com (P/N D-5610), six pieces for $1.00 plus $2.64 shipping.

George

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks George, do I have to remove anything major to get to the bushings? ALso I was planning on using jack stands. I dont have ramps..ANy proplem with this?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
To unload the sway bar you need to lift both sides of the vehicle on jack stands(or leave the whole vehicle on the ground, which makes it impossible to do any work). You don't want it twisted at all.
Also, that is not the only source of knocking. I had a 3rd gen which has long sway bar links with ball joints. My 08, well I haven't looked yet at what setup it has. If it has similar ball jointed links, those joints wear and develop play. Again the bar must be unloaded to check link play because any twisting of the bar puts force on those joints.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,240 Posts
Thanks George, do I have to remove anything major to get to the bushings? ALso I was planning on using jack stands. I dont have ramps..ANy proplem with this?
You'll want to use jack stands since you need to remove the front tires. The only other thing that needs to be removed is the heat shield over the steering gear. If I recall correctly there isn't enough room to completely remove the heat shield, so you'll need to hold it out of the way while removing the bolts that hold the bushing.

One other thing, the bolts that hold the bushings are quite long and protrude into the cross-member, mine were rusted and came out hard. There are holes in the cross-member that I attempted to spray penetrating oil, but it was difficult to tell if it was spraying onto the bolts.

George

Reactions: Jeepman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts